Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Junior Skis for a slight women?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello All,

I manged to convince my OH to come over to the dark side about 4 years ago and get into skiing, she likes it but doesn't love it. I'm trying to fix this by going on one trip this season just the two of us so she can do things at her own pace so that's tactic one covered. To enhance my chances of future years of skiing I'm buying her some boots and possibly some skis. eBay is a bit of a minefield now the season for buying second hand gear has got going it's hard to get anything for a decent price so I'm thinking of buying new. The OH is 5'1"ish and about 7st/98lbs. around a 148-150 would do her nicely I reckon which falls into junior territory. Sadly it's a while since I've been a junior, and the technology has also moved on allot since then too!

She's what I'd call a classic nervous intermediate, fine on blues and reds hasn't dreamed of trying a black-yet She's actually allot better than she thinks she is IMO but as with allot of people who take skiing up as an adult struggle to really go for it and get over the fear factor..... So are junior skis inferior technolgy to adult skis? As much as I'd like her to I don't see her wanting to progress to anything beyond a week or two a years recreational skiing, crusing reds and blues. Anyone else out there been in a similar boat? I've always liked Head skis and they do a Head junior team ski but I'm finding it hard to get reviews and info on the junior models. With £200 would be good as I'm greedy and constantly buying ski related paraphenalia to feed my addiction.....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grizwald, ...actually I wouldn't leap to junior skis.

In adult skis (therefore a bit stiffer, a bit thicker for mounting adult bindings) you can get Volkl Sensor 2s at 152 (actually 150) - Salomon piste skis at 145, Salomon Mai Tais at 151 (but measure up as 141 since they are twin tips - these are highly rated and I would recommend them) or Volkl Pearl twintips at 155 (actually 145). My partner loves her 133 lines (she's 5-5 and 9st) but they are for piste messing, and she goes onto 160 twintips (measuring 150) for off piste mucking around.

But I would go with the Mai Tais (or Suspects - exactly the same ski, same flex, geometry etc) or slightly softer Pearls.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Grizwald, a lot. Two words, only one l. Sorry, it was making my eyes bleed.

I agree with valais2, - adult women are not the same as juniors of either genital persuasion (I'm sure you've noticed this, what with your being a man of the world etc). There's stuff out there for the smaller lady which wil perform much better than a kiddy ski.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies, I'll bin that idea and will look at some of the models valais2, mentions.

Cheers Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Grizwald, MrsS just got some these for dry slope instructing - http://www.snowfit.co.uk/product/home_snowfit/NORDICA/FOX-X-CT/-14472 They seem nice skis, and for a lighter woman would be fine on snow, and at a good price.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RobinS, Thanks for the link, they certainly look like the sort of design she'd go for-that's obviously most important thing as far as she's concerned!!

Did they come with bindings? not too clear on the website?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
try www.theskidiva.com for loads of reviews of women's skis, I'm sure there's loads of threads for women of similar size and ability to your wife and like Lizzard said there are loads of women's skis under 150cm.

Not trying to be mean but you also start off by saying you want her to really love skiing so are going to buy some skis to help with this then finish by saying you want to get some pretty cheap as you want to buy yourself loads of ski related stuff Cool. Finding a ski she loves may be enough to make her love skiing so why don't you go to one of the demo days at the snowdomes which are coming up soon and get her to try as many skis as she can in different sizes... if she still doesn't love skiing after this then you can always Ebay them and buy yourself something shiny then Smile.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Grizwald, Yes binding included - Snowfit are our local (recently expanded) shop, and do good deals on skis.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy