Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Twin Centre Holiday - Skiing and Disney..

Poster: A snowHead
As I saw a post recently about someone looking to potentially do this. Does the forum collective, or specific members have any experience of this. Whilst I detest theme parks in general I feel it's wrong to exclude my families wants to do Disney in preference to my wants to ski every holiday as I feel it my role as a parent to occasionally bow to their needs.

So

Anyone actually done a skiing and disney trip, or disney and skiing trip. Did you DIY, TO or a mix of both. My limited search on T'internet hasn't come up with anything specific.

Any sensible(*) thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

(*) - Sensible is obviously a relative scale dependant on individuals so will take whatever suggestions, forum wisdom, flaming as it comes but do not be offended if I don't bite in response to a specific response to this request.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've no experience of combining skiing and disney into one trip myself, but if you are trying to do this possibly the easiest from a logistics viewpoint would be to fly direct into Los Angeles (the original Disleyland California is situated in Anaheim about 40 miles from LA) and there is excellent skiing at Mammoth about 5 hours drive from LA.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Disneyland, California
http://www.visitcalifornia.co.uk/Details/e58529/

Skiing in California
http://www.visitcalifornia.co.uk/Things-To-Do/Snow-Sports/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Disney California isn't very big though, probably smaller than Paris TBH. there are a few other parks in the area though, Knotts Berry in Anaheim also, Universal Studios in LA and Sea World in San Diego. I went there in 2005, in the summer though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ansta1, Paris followed by French Alps?... all do-able by train. (Ok, not quite Florida but just tell the kids how tough things were in your day)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bode Swiller,
Quote:

Paris followed by French Alps?... all do-able by train. (Ok, not quite Florida but just tell the kids how tough things were in your day)

You know what I hadn't actually thought of that, but the downside is Paris in the winter...... Not sure I'd get that by the escape committee.. Still worth a thunk if the wisdom of the snowHead doesn't give me any sensible options.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok I haven't done this specifically but have traveled allot in the US. Depends if you think DL in CA will do or it needs to be Florida-obviously you can't ski in Florida but there is lots of skiing in CA, what's more important the skiing or Disney? Flying internally in the US is straight forward and pretty inexpensive but remember coast to coast can take around 6 hours and this option will cost you more than basing yourselves in CA for the duration of your trip.

I've flew coast to coast (NYC to SF) for between £75-£100 so multiply that by 4 or 5 for a family.

DIY trips to the US are a peice of cake, book flights then take your time researching accomadation etc. CA is a cracking holiday destination anytime of year so much to do and see. If your wallet allows it, 3 weeks you can do a sort of 'loop' of the state. I've done it a couple of times in winter I'd consider:

Flight into SF, stay SF.

Drive to South Lake Tahoe, loads of sliding availible up there.

Yosemite is largely shut in the winter accept for the valley, you can ski there too.

Drive to Mammoth ski,

Drive to LA, stay and see Disney.

Drive up highway one back to SF for flight home. It's about 7 hours non stop but you could spend a week stopping off at places along the way or just drive it if your skiing has taken up too many days!

All depends on what you want really, I don't have any kids yet and it's hard to keep everyone happy all the time. 2 Weeks in Florida @ Disney etc is my idea of holiday hell heading to CA sounds a good compromise if you want to get some skiing in and the allure of skiing is enough for your kids dependant on their ages etc.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colin B wrote:
Disney California isn't very big though, probably smaller than Paris TBH.

It's still Disney though! wink

To be honest I visited Disneyland California (as an Adult! Embarassed ) on my first ever trip to the US, and I thought that there was plenty to keep the young 'uns happy for a day or two. ansta1 you can check out what Disneyland California offers on the link I gave. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do winter ski trip
Pack family off on cheapo Eurostar/Eurodisney short break weekend thing in March
Sneak off skiing again while they're away
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski where you want in Japan and visit Tokyo Disneyland on your way home.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi,

TBH if you want to do both options, I would seriously suggest the Paris option. Do eurostar UK-Paris and then the overnight train down to a ski resort. If you sell it right you can probably do a weekend at eurodisney + a whole week skiing if you leave the UK on Friday and find a Sunday-Sunday tour operator.

You might even be able to fork out for a babysitter out of the savings and have a romantic dinner in Paris . . .

Happy planning!
Heather
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard wrote:
Do winter ski trip
Pack family off on cheapo Eurostar/Eurodisney short break weekend thing in March
Sneak off skiing again while they're away

This!

But, more seriously, it should be straightforward to mix Florida - where I hear the 'best' theme parks are; I've never inflicted that particular form of torture upon myself - with skiing in the Rockies. Orlando has direct flights to Denver, Salt Lake City, Vancouver and Calgary so you can go almost anywhere you want. You presumably want a family friendly resort, and it's probably cheaper and less complicated to avoid an extra border crossing, so why not go somewhere like Breckenridge? I'd suggest doing the theme park first, or it'll probably seem like a bit of a let-down compared with the mountains.

It's really easy to DIY a trip to the States, as everything is bookable on line, everyone speaks perfect English, and the whole travel industry is geared up to flexible holidays over there. Internal flights are cheap, too. One huge downside would be the whole packing thing, though - you'd need some serious suitcases to cram in theme park gear at the same time as your winter sports stuff.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

you'd need some serious suitcases to cram in theme park gear at the same time as your winter sports stuff.

How much space does a swim suit and a couple of T-shirts and shorts take up?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
Quote:

you'd need some serious suitcases to cram in theme park gear at the same time as your winter sports stuff.

How much space does a swim suit and a couple of T-shirts and shorts take up?
more space than is left in my suitcase after packing boots, helmet, goggles, jacket, salopettes, thermal layers and base layers - none of which are any use in a theme park.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers for the initial thoughts. I have to say my first thought was Vail for a week then fly across to Florida for Mickey and Pals. Done Vail and surrounding resorts a few times (inc honeymoon) so know it quite well, the Drive to Denver down the I70 isn't bad at all.
latest report
Did it a number of years back,one week in LA and then drove up to Mammoth for a weeks skiing,all quite painless and with no hitches,traveled with Virgin.
snow report
Another one done the trip here - Stayed for 3 days in LA, 3 days in Vegas then 10 at Mammoth. I love mammoth, brilliant mountain and had epic snow last year.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy