Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warning - Lufthansa Ski Carriage Con(fusion)!!

Poster: A snowHead
Mrs MA and I booked flights from Manchester to Munich some time ago for a few days' glacier skiing later this week. All done via the Lufthansa website - which says that skis go free. So far so good....

In finalising our arrangements, I have now spotted that - despite having LH (Lufthansa) flight numbers - our flights are actually operated by British Midland - who charge £60 return Shocked for skis!!

Must say, it didn't occur to me for a minute that a Lufthansa website booking wouldn't be on a Lufthansa flight - I didn't know that they have any ****ing connection with British Midland!!

Obviously my own fault - but to say I'm annoyed is an understatement. It just feels like a bit of a con Mad Mad Mad

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 15-11-11 22:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mountainaddict,

Did they say somewhere "free unless the flight is operated by someone else"? Otherwise just get Lufthansa to "confirm" you've booked your equipment in (which you'd have to do anyway) and let then deal with BMI..

Code sharing agreements means you can indeed book/manage your flights via one airline even though the flight is operated by another... That often results in reduced services (like choosing seats in advance), but with perseverance there are ways round it..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i think as long as your flight number is with the airline you booked with, you're covered by their rules?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

- I didn't know that they have any ****ing connection with British Midland!!

I thought they'd just sold it to BA? Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arctic Roll wrote:
Quote:

- I didn't know that they have any ****ing connection with British Midland!!

I thought they'd just sold it to BA? Laughing

Sale not complete, Virgin whining about it, the have made a counter offer, they feel it would be a plus to the brand to have a load of brummies serving the food and drinks.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My mistake, they are going to fire the brummies, its the routes they want to keep.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've booked with Lufthansa. How do I find out which airline operates the actual flight? I can't see this anywhere on the eticket.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Check with Lufthansa about the regs, I had similar with Swiss putting me on a flight operated by someone else but they said as it was a Swiss flight number booked through them their rules (so free ski carriage) applied.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On their web site , type ski's into the FAQ's, if the plane is Lufthansa they are free, if not, not. Bummer.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia, if the flight number begins with LH it's a Lufthansa flight. Give thema call to say you're taking skis, they make a note, all sorted*.

*This is how it worked last year.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Surely if you've booked the skis as 'ski carriage' and the carriage of pre booked ski carrage is already part of your confirmation, there wouldn't be anything else to pay.
If you arrive at the airport and expect BM carry the skis without any prior notification, you may encountewr a problem.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As Dr John says, last year you just rang a phone number given on the LH website to tell them you're taking skis, and that was then sorted. If it's a LH flight number there should be no problem - if it's not a LH flight number then you may not qualify for free ski carriage, but still worth worthwhile phoning them just in case?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thread from last winter which dealt with just this. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1808053&highlight=lufthansa#1808053
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells, Good spot! mountainaddict Have you phoned Lufthansa yet to tell them you're taking skis? You may be worrying prematurely.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hells Bells, that was last season, this is this season.

If everyone just searched for and appended old threads with new enquiries on the same subject there would be a total of about 5 threads on SH's each one 100,000 pages long.
snow report
After Flybe took over the european operation from BA many flights were still offered via BA. My wife discovered that seats were often sold cheeper when booking via BA than using Flybe.

The thing with airlines is you never know what you will end up paying or getting until the very end.

John
Quote:

Sale not complete, Virgin whining about it, the have made a counter offer, they feel it would be a plus to the brand to have a load of brummies serving the food and drinks.

Not sure if the brummies will drive up the A42. IIRC British Midland is a Derby airline.

John
snow conditions
johnE, fair enough, the joke only works for the brummie accent.
snow report
Dr John, in the case of the thread highlighted by Hells Bells, there would be no addition to the thread, since the answer is already there. There would also be no accusation against Lufthansa in this thread.
snow conditions
achilles, so airline T's & C's are always the same year after year? Good to know.
snow report
Dr John,

Hells Bells's post was never publicised as being the definitive answer...and unlike your reply to it, it at least has some modicum of helpfulness...
ski holidays
Kruisler, queen bodecia asked a question. I answered it based on personal experience and had it confirmed by Alastair Pink.

Not a clue what your point is, but many thanks for your contribution all the same.
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
Kruisler, Not a clue what your point is, but many thanks for your contribution all the same.

errrrrrr... So chronologically:
Kruisler wrote:
get Lufthansa to "confirm" you've booked your equipment in (which you'd have to do anyway)

Dr John wrote:
queen bodecia, if the flight number begins with LH it's a Lufthansa flight. Give thema call to say you're taking skis, they make a note, all sorted*.

Dr John wrote:
Hells Bells, that was last season, this is this season.
If everyone just searched for and appended old threads with new enquiries on the same subject there would be a total of about 5 threads on SH's each one 100,000 pages long.

So what is your own contribution? or point for that matter?

Exactly the same as mine and Hells Bells maybe?, i.e. we all related to the state of affairs last year... I don't see how Hells Bells linking to another thread with further replies on the matter is any less helpful than yours and deserving of your irate comment.
snow report
Kruisler, hahaha. You bored?
latest report
Dr John wrote:

+1

Phone them and they will put a "Special Baggage" endorsement against the booking.

Suggest that you call them and act stupid about the BM difference. IIRC the baggage conditions are set by the carrier you book with, not the operator.
snow report
No idea about LH flights operated by other carriers, but I've just phoned them to tell them I'm taking skis and a bag with boots+helmet. All free (except for the €0.14/min phone call, with a compulsory 30sec bit at the start telling you to have the booking reference etc. handy).

queen bodecia, login to see your flight booking (probably the same as if you're going to do online checkin), then if you click on each flight segment it tells you the operating airline, plane, etc. I think when booking the flights, you can also see the same info. I guess anything from East Midlands? is operated by BM and anything from BHX (or any other larger airport) is a operated by LH.
(I have a LH account, but it might be different if you only have the booking ref. - should still be able to see the details)
snow report
I booked flights from Edinburgh to Munich via Heathrow with LH months ago and had the same problem with the flight from Edinburgh - LHR being operated by BMI. I spoke to LH who confirmed my skis would be free as the flight from EDI - LHR while operated by BMI, has a LH flight number. So I'm relaxed about that bit - but if BMI are taken over by BA - then what happens ???????
snow report
wouldn't worry about BA takeover of BM just yet. Regulatory hurdles must take ages? And given that BA would get more than 50% of LHR slots, I expect there'll be a lot of conditions applied.
snow report
I had the same issue with Swiss (same airline group) last year - came on a Bmi plane with a Swiss ticket. Had a very helpful email from Swiss customer service to say that it was a Swiss flight and there fore Swiss baggage rules applied.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dr John, Alastair Pink, thanks for the info. Mine are both LH flight numbers. Do I still have to phone up to book ski carriage? There was no option to include any sort of luggage when I booked online. Nor are there any obvious phone numbers on the website. If you click on 'contact' it just goes through to a FAQ page that says that there is free carriage for luggage and skis. Am I being a complete numpty? I'd prefer an email address to a phone number, I doubt the phone lines are operational at times when I can call.
snow report
queen bodecia, Pretty sure you have to call. I've used them several times and called to book beforehand. According to their website the no. is 0871 945 9124 and is open 24 hours a day.
ski holidays
queen bodecia, this should help http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/uk/info_and_services/baggage?nodeid=3331156&l=en&cid=1000243#ancAbT2 , you will get to Sport and special baggage for tickets issued from 1 June 2011, then scroll down a bit.
latest report
I just booked the same. LH operated by BMI and Tyrolean. I notified LH and they booked my skis on all flights. I had also phoned BMI and they told me that I had to book them via LH. Just be aware that you get 23kg of luggage plus skis... but if your ski bags are full of clothing and heavy they may charge you excess. I should think that a few fleeces etc to protect your bindings and provide padding will be ok.. I wrap a foam camping mat around mine and then roll clothes around that, gloves and socks on the ends with some heavy card to keep the tips safe and am good to go.
snow conditions
Easy to get confused. Took me a while to re-find what I already worked out before. The link above has the hotline to call, but would tend to suggest there might be an excess baggage fee. Near the top of that page is a link to the Free Baggage Allowance... which clearly states that 1pr skis, 1pr boots and 1 helmet go free, but doesn't have the hotline mentioned anywhere rolling eyes

Quote:
Additionally, all passengers will in future have the option of taking one sports bag (categorised as ‘small’) with them as part of their valid free baggage allowance.
What is more, they may also take one ski bag (this does not apply on North Atlantic routes).
One ski equipment = One pair of skis or water skis or one snowboard + 1 pair of ski sticks + 1 pair of ski boots + 1 ski helmet

PS they asked me for the approximate weight ot my skis. I said no idea. She said she'd put it in as 15kg but it doesn't matter, and that I'd still get my full 20kg allowance as well. I guess they do it just to estimate total baggage weights etc.?
ski holidays
Corky, radar, thanks folks. I'll try and call next time I have a day off work. No big hurry yet, I'm not going until January.
latest report
Scarpa,
Thanks for the update. that's great news.

I'm in the same boat as you and mountainaddict, so it's good to hear that he is panicking unnecessarily! Very Happy

I might get Lufthansa's legal advisers onto him for slagging them off as con artists without foundation Toofy Grin
latest report
I haven't rang them - the fact that you should do so is hidden under small print under baggage/sports kit.... rolling eyes

We are flying Manchester to Munich and:

- Both flights have LH flight nos.
- Both the original e mail confirmation and the details currently shown when I retrieve the booking on the Lufthansa website state 'Operated by Lufthansa.' However, the website states 'Operated by British Midland.' I'm now fairly sure it said nothing of the sort when I booked two months ago....

Confusing or what Puzzled ?

Anyway, I'll ring Lufthansa tonight and tell them we're taking skis. Based on snowHead resposnes I'm fairly hopeful that the skis will be going free.....
latest report
mountainaddict, Let us know how you get on - hopefully you'll be able to amend your thread tiltle from "Warning - Lufthansa ski carriage con" to "Warning Lufthansa ski carriage confusion" Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Alastair Pink, Laughing
ski holidays
Alastair Pink, or 'Warning - Lufthansa honour their deals".
snow report
More confusion:

1. The 24hr no. I found on the website (0871 945 9124) wasn't 24 hour. Open 09.00 - 21.00.....
2. Just got through now. It turned out to be baggage tracing - not ski booking.
3. The helpful person I spoke to confirmed that the flight is definitely operated by BMI but could not confirm - irrespective of LH flight nos. - that skis go free. Said I have to check with BMI.
4. Manchester airport website says BMI fly from Terminal 3 and Lufthansa from Terminal 1. The Lufthansa call centre person confirmed that our flight will definitely go from Terminal 1.

The plan is to just turn up at the airport in the morning and argue the toss - armed with all my paperwork (confirmation e mail and e-ticket printout) - both of which state quite inequivocally "Flights operated by Lufthansa."

So at this stage - Alastair Pink and achilles I may or may not be changing the post heading when I get back on snowHead next Monday!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy