Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ideas for avoiding single person supplements

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

As ever, I'm after some ideas, if you can help?

OH and I are planning to go away for our second trip of the 2011-2012 season, the first week in February, and a single friend has expressed an interest in coming away with us as she has no-one to ski with so has not been able to go for a number of years. OH isn't keen on staying in a chalet or going self-catered and so it has to be a hotel, and my concern is that it will cost our friend a lot.

We like a reasonable half board hotel (3 or 4*) with decent meals and for convenience go package as we have busy lives. Because we've been caught out with a shortage of snow on some trips, these days we tend to book last minute, so I am after ideas of resorts/work-arounds so that we can compile a shortlist of where to look nearer the time.

We'd like a large ski area and ski-in ski-out too. We are all skiers, OH is really quite good, myself and my friend less so, so a good mix of blues and reds probably, rather than lots of blacks. OH and I usually spend around £600-700 for the week (for the flight and hotel), so somewhere in that region would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for any inspiration!

snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at places in Austria as the hotels/chalets/B&B's there tend to have single rooms available.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
find your friend another friend?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
post pictures of your friend here... that may well end yours and her single supplement woes Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was looking a while back at hotels in Obergurgl for a double and a single room ; they seemed to have quite a few- had small supplement for a single but not massive. One that had single rooms was hotel alpenaussicht.

However booked for france and friend paying huge supplement for a single room!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
....but that doesn't have a large ski area- thats why we booked France. Think it meets the rest of your criteria though
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hotels with interconnecting rooms maybe (as long as there is a solid wall between the two rooms Toofy Grin ).

In your position I'd try and find others (couples or singles) and make a larger group.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NSB1977, We have 2 rooms (1 a twin used as a single, so no supplement). Arrive 1st Feb for however many days you want, get cheap midweek flights, transfers no problem.

B&B for 7 nights £353 per person in 2 En-suite rooms.
EzJet Birmingham to GVA 1st & 8th currently 32.99 & 21.99. (55 +tax +add ons).
Return transfers 70 euro's pp or less. (Real transfers, not scheduled).
I reckon that leaves you lots to spend in the restaurants, and bars of Morzine.

No Brainer .............Book now Laughing

If interested contact Nina via the site below. All the info is on there.
Paul.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Get an apartment for 3 people and eat out? Being in an apartment doesn't mean "self catering".
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've just booked http://www.les2alpesleisure.com/ through easiski.com and the single supplement was only €42 for the week to have a double room to my self.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
get your friend to join" fitness singles" and look for a ski buddy?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I find the best way to avoid single supplements is to simply book in a fake person. Opposite sex usually works best, because it raises less suspicion and interest than two same-sex couples travelling. In your friend's case, she should therefore book in a male.

I find a name very similar to the single traveller usually works (for example my name is Stephen, so I book in my "girlfriend" Stephanie. That way, when the rep/hotel staff/airport security call the name, I recognise it automatically and don't act too stunned. You can then ease yourself straight into the role of the fake person; I did mention that you have to pretend to be the fake person, didn't I?

Two cunningly purchased pairs of salopettes can often be the finishing touch; one black, for the male days, and one pink, for the female.

It does of course mean you're paying for two people instead of one, but at least you've avoided the single supplement, which I believe was the purpose of the thread? Just make sure you're not too good at acting; I once had a nasty shock when Hans, the owner of the Pension I was staying in, took a bit too much of a liking to Stephanie and followed me into the sauna.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Single rooms in hotels are fairly common in Austria and Italy. Far less so in France. I do this every season. My ski buddies are a mix of 3 couples and 2 singles so we always have to find a hotel with at least 2 single rooms.

Single people are not an 'inconvenience' that need to be lumped together with other, often inappropriate, people. Just find the right sort of accommodation.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
milzibkit, I'll have a pint of what your having Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Blow up Doll?
ski holidays
milzibkit, http://www.lastnightoffreedom.co.uk/stag-night-shop/novelties-&-accessories/inflatable-female-doll/ might be easier.

Crossed with SZK
latest report
Hi,

I don't know if it helps but we have some single rooms with no extra supplement - link in my tag line.

With best wishes,
Heather
snow conditions
You could try booking with Skiworld or YSE SKi - chalets rather than hotels but both will try to find a room mate for your friend (I know YSE still do this but you will need to check with Skiworld) and YSE (Val d'Isere only) have one chalet with a small double that doesn't charge a supplement.
ski holidays
Many thanks for the replies (mostly). I'll let you know what we come up with nearer the time, thanks for the suggestions.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy