Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

is DIN, just DIN, or is there more to DIN than meets the eye.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
just a quick question really, after looking at some bindings for sale on here(not to buy, im just a curious fella) is DIN on one binding the same as on another??

im 230lbs, so on the heavier end of skiiers, im young, and semi athletic, and a pretty aggressive skiier, but ive always used whatever din a rental shop has given me, or gone with a chart on the wall at wherever my skis are being mounted, and with my BSL,weight,skill level etc, ive never come out with a DIN setting higher than 9.

have just impulse bought some bindings now,which only go up to DIN 11, figuring that my current set up is set at 8.5, loadsa room to play with.

but have recently read the following 2 things.

"DIN range 10-18, weight: 77kg +" now is it me, or does it seem unlikely that anyone weighing 77kg, would be needing a DIN setting of 10 or higher.

and likewise "DIN range 3-12, reason for sale: im too heavy for them" which makes me think that save for maybe a few of the rugby playing types, there cant be many more people above my weight, who ski more aggressive than me.(i realise there are people bigger than me,that ski, and their are skiers more aggressive than me, but they are typically lighter.)

is everyone skiing round with their bindings too tight, are all the charts in ski shops all over the country, and all over the web, massively outdated, or is there some sort of new fangled metric DIN, or is the english din, different to those seen in the alps, namely "le din" and "die din".???
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kev182, The 10-18 ones are race bindings.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
im semi aware of that, but i see the same bindings mounted on loadsa ski's. (ive just bought myself some new twin tips, but when i was looking, i was bidding on some line chronic's with the same bindings in 178 length).

providing im not being a total idiot following charts and not experiencing pre releases, im quite happy. but had just noticed a few posts,and ski set ups that made me think i was missing something.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kev182, yes, the DIN release values are an agreed standard across all the binding manufacturers so a setting of say 7 should require the same torque to release the boot irrespective of the make/model - providing that the forward pressure adjustment has been correctly set.

Construction quality, range of motion & release characteristics are different things however & that can vary greatly between different makes/models of the same din range. It's common for a range of bindings from a maker to look pretty much identical on the outside but for the lower din models to have lower quality internals.

This is were the weight/ability/aggression etc of the user should be considered. For example, for someone of your stats/description I would strongly caution against using a Sallie Z10 binding (three screw toe mounting, loadsa plastic, lots of flex) but I'd have no hesitation putting you in a Vist 311 which toe has the same construction as their 10-18 WC race binding.

Last season a guy phoned asking me to mount a couple of pairs of Z10's on his & his missus' new skis. When he arrived he was about 6'6" & about 18st. I refused to mount 'em even though his din chart setting was 8 & I explained why he needed something more substantial. However, I did mount the same bindings for his missus as she was only half his weight. He accepted my reasoning & said that he'd sell his Z10's & be back to me in the near future for a more suitable binding. He then called me a few days later to tell me another shop had mounted them for him no problem. A month later he bought some Look Pivots off me after his toe piece broke on a bump run & that he'd taken a heavy fall.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I understand what spyderjon is saying and some of the higher DIN models are more durable in general...

You said you have never pre-released at 9, so you should be fine. You could buy 3-12 or 6-14 going forward (or even 8-16), but getting 10-18 would be daft. FWIW, the BIGGER your foot, the LOWER your DIN setting will be, all else being =
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I am sure someone more physics minded could contribute here but the folks wearing 10-18's launching themselves off 40ft cliffs and the like must be generating much more extreme torque forces on the bindings and skis when they land, in proportion to their normal body weight on piste. I never pre-released and had to revise my din settings significantly following three double ejections in a row when I started dropping from as little as 1M - mind I did get a bit fatter as well Blush
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
not marker bindings by any chance..hehe
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They were old sally drivers, probably with all the wrong adjustments.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DIN was a standard of pressure release devised by the Germans (I do believe) and it stands for (Deutsche Industrie Normen) - think thats right. Anyway the whole point of the DIN system is that it is a globally recognised pressure release system across all bindings so a 10 with one should be a 10 with another.

However a few caveats:
1) the boot must be flush with the binding - i.e. no snow on the sole
2) the forward pressure - i.e. how much play back and forwards there is on the binding must be set properly
3) the ski boot should be square - i.e. no excessive wear on the sole or anything - those of you who walk in ski boots alot and roll your ankle in giving excessive wear on the instep beware!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy