Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA / American Airlines Luggage experiences? (Dallas/JH)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, been a while since I've been here!

So I'm lucky enough to be off to Jackson Hole over Christmas with my girlfriend. we're flying BA/AA from Newcastle via Heathrow and Dallas to Jackson Hole
We both board.
For the sake of simplicity (and as I'm the porter) I normally but both boards, bindings, 1 set of boots and maybe some trousers in my big Dakine. It comes in at less than 23kg
We then normally stash everything else bulky into a big holdhall which comes in under 20kg.

With the sheer number of flights and airlines (I know they're codeshare) I can't get my head around the baggage charges. ( I think my GF would like to take another hold bag if it didn't add too much to the cost.)

For instance is the bag charged as ski equipment or oversize? Will they be happy to take it as ski equipment (or do I have to take 2 separate board bags and boot bags, more weight and hassle!)

Do you pay for each leg of the flight or is there just one charge?

I flew BA, Virgin and SOme internal US airline to Reno last year without a hitch, do I simply have to cross my fingers?

Thanks in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We flew with BA last week from Denver with our bikes and the same principles apply to bikes as ski/board bags.

ie You can check in a (bike bag or) ski/board bag at no cost provided it's under 23kg. That leaves 23kg for your 2nd bag and up to 23kg each for your hand luggage. In practice, however, due to the restricted hand luggage size (but nevertheless you are allowed a decent sized bag each) your hand luggage will most likely be under 15kg each (as ours is even when we take our ski boots in it).

So, with a free luggage allowance of up to 92kg (or 14.5 stones!) but most likely (in reality) nearer 76kg (12 stones) I'm intrigued by how how much gear your girlfriend may need exactly? Puzzled

I am sure however that if you do choose to take over 12 stones of luggage and pay for an extra bag there will be only the 1 charge for the 3 flights.

By the way, the reason we take our ski boots in our hand luggage (plus ski clothes in hand luggage) is to prepare for the inevitable luggage delay. On transatlantic trips from Newcastle, which inevitably involve 2 flight connections, we have lost count of the number of times that our luggage has not turned up at the other end for a few days... Sad

However, you will have a great time. Jackson Hole is fantastic!

Where are you staying by the way? In town or at the mountain?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
oliverd, I'm also off to Jackson with BA/AA via Dallas next year, and I need to speak to the airline because I have some very similar questions to you. Assuming that you're flying economy, it's fairly clear from BA's web site that you and your GF have an allowance of one bag each. You can take sporting equipment instead of one of these bags, or you can pay a surcharge of £40 each way (I'm fairly sure that's per journey rather than per flight but I can't find that in black and white in BA's terms and conditions) for the first additional bag you each take.

The complexity that I need to unravel relates to the legs operated by American Airlines. BA's website points to AA's website where a leg is operated by that airline, and AA apply different criteria to sporting equipment. In particular, they state that you are only permitted to take one pair of skis or one board per bag - ie, no double bags are permitted - and that you are not allowed to add anything extra to the sporting equipment. AA say that they will apply a surcharge for any extra items, but don't say how that's calculated; if it's per kilo, things could get very painful indeed if you, like me, want the convenience of taking a double bag.

That policy seems unreasonable, but airlines aren't always noted for being sensible and pragmatic. Given that you'll have to negotiate AA's check-in desk at Dallas and again at Jackson, I'd recommend that you get a definitive statement from the airline. If you do that, please post your findings here.

BTW, Bergmeister's right about luggage delays. Last time I went to Jackson, BA didn't bother to load my skis onto the plane in Heathrow (I assume some 1st class passenger's luggage took priority) so I had to wait 24 hours for things to arrive. I was given a voucher for ski hire, but it was a significant inconvenience as the hire skis were way below mine in quality and I felt unable to fully explore the mountain that day. Unfortunately, that was the only day of the holiday that Corbet's was open, so I missed my chance to break my leg and make a fool of myself.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
First, check you BA ticket to see whose policy applies when you travel on code share flights. Some airline allows the "ticketing" airline's policy override the operating airline's.

Assumming the BA policy applies, keep a copy of that information handy in case there's difficulties.

Having said all that, I flown AA once or twice. They don't open the bag to check WHAT's in there unless it's over-weight. So make double sure you're not over the weight limit.

Boots: for boarders, simply wear it on your feet! Put your street shoes in the luggage. It weights less.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies everyone

Bergmeister - I can reassure you we're not going to be taking anywhere near 14st! It's the configuration that's the issue, not the weight... Total weight will probably be in the range of 50-55kg.
We did Tahoe and Vegas at around 40kgs I think my GF's request for just a little bit more stuff and her own holdall is pretty reasonable (I might make her carry it though Wink )

Quote:
You can check in a (bike bag or) ski/board bag at no cost provided it's under 23kg. That leaves 23kg for your 2nd bag and up to 23kg each for your hand luggage.

but as it's not a board bag per-se - just an oversize bag with various stuff in it, some of which is snowboards, so does it use up my bag allowance or not? This will make my holdall a "second bag" and that's where we start incurring charges

Quote:
am sure ... only the 1 charge for the 3 flights.

I hope so - don't fancy paying 4 lots of outsize baggage charges (I'm pretty sure the BA flight to Heathrow will be OK)

Quote:
Ski boots in our hand luggage / Wear it on your feet

A good idea in theory but I'm not a big fan of having a massive carry-on bag (or the smell of my boots) I'll certainly have some boxers a t shirt and my board socks in there, insurance can figure the rest out if it come to it. I would consider wearing boots to get on the plane for a cheap European flight, but not so much on a transatlantic epic...

Jonny Jones / abc

Should get the tickets / BA login soon so I'll take a further look at the policies, I might get the agent to ask the question. I'm not sure I'd like to have seen a negative response in black and white...

On the subject of Luggage delays our bags beat us to Vegas by 24hrs on the way from Tahoe! I'm not sure if it's better / possible to book the bags right through to JH from Newcastle, or if it's better to pick them up (Especially at Heathrow)

I'm staying at Cowboy Village, in Town. The Americans seem to love it on Tripadvisor.

I actually wish I'd booked a slightly shorter lift Ticket - looking at Targhee I really want to spend a couple of days there.

Oh and Berg - I'm pretty jealous that you got to go riding over there!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
IF your baggage is checked all the way to Jackson. You should only get charged once each way.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
oliverd, We flew BA Denver last year, 3 of us and were only allowed 3 bags upto 23KG each, we had 2 holdalls and a ski bag with 3 pairs of ski's in it as allowance and paid for a 4th bag allowing a further bag at 23kg pre trip at £40 each way. Jackson is ace, make sure you go and eat at "Bubba's" best ribs on the planet.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I'm not a big fan of having a massive carry-on bag

Not "that" big really if you stay within the prescribed limits (approx 55cm x 40 x 25 if I remember correctly) and better than losing your boots or skiing gear then losing a few hourse on the slopes while you go to rent stuff or buy new.

Quote:

an oversize bag with various stuff in it, some of which is snowboards, so does it use up my bag allowance or not?

Yes -that will count as 1 bag. So that's one of your freebies taken care of.

Quote:

wish I'd booked a slightly shorter lift Ticket - looking at Targhee I really want to spend a couple of days there

Yes - Grand Targhee is worth a trip, although we thought a day there was enough (and the locals call it Grand Foggy!) If you don't get there don't worry. Jackson Hole is better!

Quote:

Berg - I'm pretty jealous that you got to go riding over there!

Do you mean the biking? We had an amazing trip - riding in Fruita (Colorado), Moab (Utah) and Red Rock Canyon (Nevada) just outside Las Vegas. Surely some of the best riding on the planet! Very Happy

We drove from Denver to Las Vegas and it broke my heart to whizz past (the open slopes of) Loveland (but only 2 manmade runs...). Then a lovely drive through Frisco, Copper Mountain and Vail. It was great to see the slopes without snow on them at Vail & Copper (if you see what I mean) and it was a very spectacular 900 mile drive.

It did make us pine for US skiing though!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 10-11-11 0:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
oliverd, pm me if you want to meet up out there. My family (me wife and 2 sprogs) will be in JH over Xmas. Our 9th visit.

We always fly via DFW but go AA all the way.

Back in the day it used to be 2 23kg bags each. Now it is just one.

DFW immigration and baggage reclaim works well - I guess you know you have to reclaim and recheck your bags at DFW.

Cowboy village is meant to be cheap and cheerful. Unless you are paying a hell of a lot better to be in town than out on the hill.

Lift passes are often much cheaper bought in the UK. I guess you know that... GT is a nice change but only worth visiting on a powder day when you aren't after steeps....

We tend to put ski boots in hand luggage btw, but our luggage has only been delayed when we used to go via ORD.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Cowboy village is meant to be cheap and cheerful. Unless you are paying a hell of a lot better to be in town than out on the hill.

We stayed there and found it to be excellent, great to have a BBQ on the porch and town is an easy walk also.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy