Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Strolz custom shells and liners?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking at my options for the coming boot purchase I will make at the start of the season and currently am looking at http://www.strolz.at/english/gesamt.htm
The bumf on their web site sounds first class.
If anyone on here has any first hand experience with this company would be very grateful for your opinion on the finished product.

Cheers,

Chris

N.B. Please don't blame me if the music on that linky starts to annoy you Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rockyrobin, Does look reasonably impressive, Don't rate their taste in music though
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IMHO, the most important consideration is how they feel on your feet - and you won't get that from any website. Don't go to your boot fitter with too many fixed ideas up front - a good fitter will recommend boots that fit you well, rather than a particular make.

Of course, all bumph on websites makes the manufacturer's equipment sound first class.

Can't comment on the particular boots you ask about - other than the music's crap Very Happy .
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You were wearing a new pair of boots on Monday night, what was wrong with them ?

I know a couple of people who have Strolz boots, one got them after an achilles tendon injury.

What exactly are you looking for in a boot ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rockyrobin, I have been using a pair of Strolz boots for the last four years. Can only recommend. I went through the whole Strolz boot fitting show in their home shop in Lech. Go there in the morning. Get your feet measured. Have a schnapps. Go skiing all day while someone slaves away at creating the perfect fit for you foot. Go back at four o'clock by which time your boots have been custom made for you and you get subjected to foam fitting agony washed down with more schnapps...
Great. I couldn't have handled it without the alcohol.
The boots are in fact different. Can't explain exactly how, but they just seem to fit like a glove, and they do improve your skiing enjoyment, if nothing else.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rjs, The boots I was wearing the other night I bought in March of this year and were fitted while wearing padded socks rolling eyes
After just 6 trips out they felt like my feet were swimming in them and now have to shove a thick insole under the footbed and clamp them down. Also they are massive round the calfs so have to clamp them down there too Sad
At the time I did not know much about boots and how they should feel so relied on the shop doing the job for me. Surprisingly this did not work out so am stuck with them.

I think really I am after a jack of all trades in a boot. A decent flex pattern would be nice for doing steep terrain and learning to do moguls, suitable for doing the gates on Monday evenings, but most importantly they must be low volume and have a slim upper shell to accomodate my skinny calves.
I've been recommended to look at the Nordica Doberman Pro 110 or the Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 with a view to modding them if I need more flex than they offer as standard. The Lange's would have been ideal but I hear they've gone medium volume in all but their stiffest boots.
Do you think the Strolz would be the easiest route to getting the boots right? I would hate to go through the ringer again.

Alastair, I think the "how they feel" has been part of my problem as in hindsight I reckon I should have been buying the boots that were feeling overly tight in the past as they would probably have packed out and could have been stretched if needed. I'm very wary of going to the bootfitters open minded as up till now I have done just that and have ended up with boots that have never fitted.

srobbo, I think the music is intended to make sure that only the truly interested will suck up their bandwidth looking further Laughing I bet a lot of people close their site after a short while if their just looking out of curiosity.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike Lawrie, Your description sounds just like what i'm looking for. Hope you don't mind me asking but how much did they cost you all in?
Did you buy the boots with the flex damper on the back?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rockyrobin, Didn't really get the chance to talk to you on Saturday. How are the blisters? Just looked at the Strolz site. Looks brilliant! If they make them to measure, how can they possibly fail to fit? No mention of prices though rolling eyes

I bet you go for it. You're not going to be satisfied until - well - you're satisfied snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rockyrobin, couldn't agree with you more regarding buying boot which felt a bit tight. A good fitter will make allowances and explain what they're doing.

For reference, I bought my current boots in Snow & Rock Portsmouth. The young lady who attended to me spent a good deal of time before she recommended a boot. When she did, I was encouraged to walk about the shop for an hour or so for my initial comments. The boots were then adjusted and I spent a couple of hours in them. I then took them to the Southampton dry ski slope for a couple of hours and took them back for fine adjustment - all at no extra charge and without losing any time in the Alps.

I know it's fashionable to knock Ski & Rock, but they're damned good at their job - and worth paying the extra for.

All IMHO, of course Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
maggi, Sorry for not getting chance for a chin wag on Saturday. I think I must have been having an air head day as for some reason I could not place your face with when I must have seen you at Warrens course at Milton Keynes earlier this year. If you see me again just remember to whack me with your pole or something to make me remember Laughing
The blisters are fully healed now thanks but I still get red in the same area after each sliding session. I just clamp my boots down to just before I lose circulation to the feet which seems to prevent further blisters forming.
I'm not so sure the made to measure with the Strolz would guarantee no chance of failure - with my past experiences of boot fitting anything is possible! If I go through one more pair of boots I fear my friends who ski with me are going to start thinking i'm a crank! Embarassed
I'll see how negotiations with my two other friends who are looking for boots goes. If I can persuade them we may go over to Lech for a couple of days in December for a slide and boot buying shenanigans snowHead
I don't reckon i'll ever be satisfied, there's always more new sliding toys to tempt the weak Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alastair, Thanks for telling me about your experience at S&R. I know someone else who bought a pair of Lange boots from them last year and they rated them too, though that was at Sheffield.
I think S&R and probably EB get their new stock some time in October. I'll have to go and have a sniff round their new boots and do some serious trying on and then walk away and have a good think about which will be the best way to get myself sorted.
The only thing that worries me about the larger stores is that they always seem to be busy during the season and have seemed to be rushed to keep on top of the demand for their service. Perhaps if they were to sell all year round some people like me would sort their boots during the summer giving them time to get them tweaked before they go abroad during the season.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rockyrobin, the answer is to turn up at quiet times - like Thursday afternoon. The best test you can do is to go straight to an artificial slope with the boots you want to try - and then reconsider!!!!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alastair, You have a point about going at quiet times. I'll make sure to ring before going in future to ask when's best to go or try to make an appointment.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rockyrobin, For low volume feet, I would think you have a few more options than just Strolz. I had the impression that they were higher
than average volume shells, but I have never tried a pair.

I don't think I would buy boots in the UK, the near-race category is new this season and I would not expect the shops to have much experience
in fitting them. I can recommend Precision in Val d'Isere, I think beanie1 mentioned that she got her boots at Footworks in Chamonix. I don't
know the equivalent places to go in Austria.

The idea behind race or near-race boots is that the shells are made of softer plastic that can be stretched more than once. The stiffness comes
from making the shell thicker. The inner boot is much thinner than a recreational boot, but that means that it doesn't pack down. I have got over
200 days on mine and they still fit as well as when I got them. My feet are easy to fit though, I only needed two small spots stretching on my
left one, nothing on the right.

I wouldn't worry too much about softening either of the boots you are considering. Most people who ski at your standard are usually looking for
a stiffer boot. The real race Nordica boots are rated at 150 or 160.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rockyrobin, in fact I don't know how much they cost! My wife bought them for me as a Christmas present, so I wasn't allowed to look at the price tags!
I'm not sure whether you intend to get the boots in Lech or not. I would not necessarily recommend getting them elsewhere, if only for the simple reason that if you get them in Lech you can use them the next day and can go straight back to the shop to get the fit changed if for whatever reason it isn't perfect.
latest report
rockyrobin, An instructor from Lech was on the Warren Smith course I attended in July last year. She said they were £400 then. Still, with all the problems you've had probably well worth it.
ski holidays
Alastair wrote:
I know it's fashionable to knock Ski & Rock, but they're damned good at their job - and worth paying the extra for Very Happy

Extra for what exactly?

S&R recommended totally the wrong boot for me, as did EB. IMO, for a UK supplier Profeet just can't be beaten.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 24-08-05 13:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
RockyRobin,

Strolz boots are around 550 Euro (ca 375 GBP).

With ski boots the most important thing is fit. I have a pair of Strolz boots and they are very good.

Saying that I'm told (by experienced boot fitters) there are better boot shells on the market and if they fit they would be better and possibly cheaper. If none of the good 'off the shelf boots' fit then Strolz is more than likely your best choice. (You can just buy the strolz inner shoe)

Alber Sport in St Anton are fantastic boot fitters and also offer/fit Strolz boots. They will check your feet and put you in the best shell / liner for your feet be it Strolz or another boot / liner (the Strolz liner can be used with other boots).

http://www.sport-alber.com/

Go to them early on in the week so you have enough time to try the boot on the snow and they have enough time to make any boot modifcations.
snow conditions
I've always been quite impressed by the ski tech (for boot fitting and doing stuff with various skis of mine) at S&R in Covent Garden. I guess it all comes down to the individual.
ski holidays
rockyrobin, Have you looked at the Daleboot ? www.dalebootusa.com it's also now stocked by Lockwoods.

I was interested myself but couldn't find much information other than their client testimonials.
snow report
I've served time at SnR, as well as working as a boot fitter in a ski resort, the training SnR give in boot fitting is very extensive and have to recommend them - but always look for the "Equipment Manager" as they will be the most experienced.

Strolz boots are great if you 1) have lots of money 2) have severe feet disfiguration or 3) like your gear looking out of date very quickly Wink

If your current boots still have lots of life in them then do a shell check:

Take the liner out, put your naked foot in the boot, find the centre of the boot by moving your foot back and forth until equal distance between toe / heel and the shell. If you, or more likely a 3rd party, can get a finger down the back of the boot between your heel and the shell proceed to the next step...

Get them foamed (Conformable). This will only set you back c. £130 and will give you the perfect fit.

This will make the boot stiffer but this is easily fixed by a professional.

Personally I've now skied the last two seasons (20 or so weeks in each) on the same shells but each winter I have a new Zip Fit liner. (I also use Cat Tracks to protect me and the shells).

This year will be their last year that I ski with this shell as I have my eye on a new pair to match my eyes / underwear / weather Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I know most people have had great experience with Strolz boots. However this is not universal, I never seem to have to much luck with boots; but the Strolz boots I bought were undoubtedly the worst I have had. I used them for two years the first year I had them they were not to bad but not perfect. The second year I had the worst blisters I have ever had by the end of the second week on them I was having to anaesthetise my feet literally in order to ski. The buckles were not quite right on them either.

Following this I have had a pair of Lange boots which have been reasonable and improved once I took out the Strolz supplied Conformables or equivalent and used the manufactureres own footbeds.

I do not think you should neccesarily avoid Strolz as I know that most people who have used them have been very happy with them. Just be aware that they don't necessarily work for everyone.
ski holidays
For a long time I've struggled to find a pair of ski boots that worked for me (high volume, very wide but quite short feet) and was beginning to think that Strolz might be the answer, despite the fact that I'd have to make a long-distance trip to one of their outlets plus the cost of the boots themselves). However, I thought I would give it one more try with a good bootfitter before going for such an expensive option, and visited Profeet. I was delighted with the service I got, and finally have a pair of boots that I'm happy with. No more crippling pain, great support and retention all round and a more natural stance because of the work done on correcting me alignment. Perhaps before you try Strolz a visit to a first class bootfitter might be worth trying?
snow report
parlor,

Quote:

2) have severe feet disfiguration

Would you mind not talking about my wife like that wink
latest report
parlor, my feet are not disfigured. They may not smell all that great, but that doesn't count as disfigurement. As far as the cost is concerned: get someone else to pay for them. What worked for me can work for you as well. As far as the fashion statement is concerned: like my Jamaican friend used to say, you wan get stoned or you wan smoke tobacco man? In other words I couldn't give a f* what the boots look like, it's whether I can still walk after a day on the Arlberg that counts Cool
ski holidays
hell my wife buys me new zippies just in case they smell Very Happy

i think we have a friend in common, want to buy some SX92s?
ski holidays
After years of skiing in many different boots that never could be adequately modified to fit my wide, high arched, bunioned feet I went into Alber Sports in St. Anton last February and got fitted for Strolz boots. They are by far the best match for my feet that I have ever had. I thought about the price and finally realized that a painless fit where my feet weren't being boot banged would be worth it. They are stiff to get on, but once on, they fit like a glove and form a great connection to the ski.
ski holidays
narrow gauge, Welcome to snowHead , but surely given the nature of your first post you should have called yourself 'Wide Gauge'? Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
parlor, SX92s? No thanks.
narrow gauge, stiff to get on is an understatement. My daily boot attachment procedure entails a lot of cursing and swearing on my part. Sounds like I'm giving birth in fact. But once they are on the pain is quickly forgotten. Same goes for getting them off again in the evening.
ski holidays
T Bar, You should have taken your Strolz boots back. I bought a pair in Lech and they weren't quite right, so they adjusted them. I struggled to find a pair of 'off the shelf' boots to fit because my feet are narrow. All boots nowadays seem to be made for Hobbit feet. Little Angel
Not only are Strolz boots 'foamed' to fit, but there are different sizes(heights) of 'cuffs' as well, to suit your calf muscles. I do agree that they are not the most trendiest boots around - and this does pain me somewhat wink Roll on Jimmy Choo ski boots.
ski holidays
Hello again guys,

Thanks everyone for your advice.

So it looks like I should be choosing between Strolz, Profeet or one of the fitters recommended that are over on the continent.

I went and had my Atomic's looked at yesterday and currently they have been fitted with some temporary cork like foam shims on the sides and rear of the liner. I shall see how they behave when I get chance to test them out.
To make things more difficult though I received a pair of Rossignol Elite Pro 1 Junior Advanced Ski Boots, and .................they fit my feet like a glove!!! I only paid £90 for them on the basis of returning them if they did not fit but I think these will be for keeps Smile
I also got a call about my conformable liners today and have been asked to take them back next week to have them looked at by Sidas and the fitter. One of them is definately screwy so hope I can broker a deal with them to get a new pair done for these new Rossies.
If things go to plan I think i'll take a trip down to Profeet before December and get them to stance analyse me in these new shells and take it from there whether I try again.
At least I have one pair of boots that it looks like i'll be happy with, fingers crossed Very Happy
Emelda Marcos would be proud of me Laughing

Cheers guys snowHead
snow report
erica2004,
Difficult to take them back to Lech when you are sking in Canada. I have actually been back to the Arlberg a couple of times since then but lugging along an extra set of boots when my Langes work tolerably well just aint worth it.
snow report
I have a pair of Strolz, the fit of the liner is perfect and very comfortable no heel movement foot is stable in the boot I had to have a small adjustment done after couple of years to allow more room for some toes, but the shell I would not buy again at least the current design, I have smashed the front buckles up and replaced them too many times now I do not bother with the buckles I ski with them not working properly. Next pair of boots I will get a good shell and have a Strolz liner fitted to the new shells, also the wire style of buckle is usless if you ever have not sitting properly and by accident you tighten the buckle you bend the wire and it is real problem to try and fix by hand.

Cheers
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy