Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zell am See, New Year

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Been to Zell am See loads over the years but never over New Year. So, question is, how crowded or not does it get? Been offered a v nice apartment (which I'll probably still take cos have car and can always go out to other resorts) but interested in where best to access the system to avoid scrumming with all types of Johnny Foreigners. All advice gratefully received (apart from driving directions thanks SS!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bode Swiller, Wouldn't dream of helping you out of your own self-inflicted jam! Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Samerberg Sue, excellent, and I'm delighted you didn't take the opportunity to advise on winter tyres or try and persuade me to change to centre-of-the-universe Ski Amade either!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode Swiller, Why would I have the temerity to ever try to advise you? You are the fount of all knowledge on all things to do with skiing, Austria and the universe. And all from a soft armchair in Suburbia, unbelievable. Your in depth study of all things must be so rewarding for you.
What a bore for you that you know it all, there is obviously nothing more for you to gain as what you do not know is patently not worth knowing!

rolling eyes
Where's the yawning smiley when you need it? Little Angel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller, as you'll see from the prices, New Year is the most popular period in the year, so the town will be heaving. On the other hand, the slopes will be empty as of course everyone will be at Kaprun as the Zell slopes will still have cows on them wink

Being serious, it will be busy and is likely to have reasonable coverage. But that's busy compared to the other times of rhe year, not busy when compared to Val D'Isere at half term...

With a car, Kaprun and Saalbach/Hinterglemm are definitely worth visiting, though Saalbach isn't covered by the basic Zell lift pass. Further afield, St Johann, Wagrain and Gastein are possibles, as is Lofer in the other direction.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Samerberg Sue, Bode Swiller, get a room
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
red 27, they make a great couple don´t they??

Snowheads couples, ladies and gentlemen I give you, Guvnor and Megamum, ph and snowpatrol, and now, Samerburg Sue and Bode Swiller, this is the stuff of legends Madeye-Smiley

Back on topic, I have skied a lot of New Years in Zell, it is as quiet as as it will ever get NY DAY, that is one of my favourite days to ski, even with the monster hangover, it is very worth the pain, can get busy in the afternoon though.
The few days running up to NYE are usually fairly quiet but from the 2nd Jan onwards it gets busy for the rest of that week.
You can always pop over and join in NYE with my crowd, we ski all day, then ski tour up to a hut, eat , drink and let off loads of fireworks, get drunk and ski down with the headlamps on at about 4am, fantastic fun, and you are very welcome to join us, I promise I won´t sit you next to Sue wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ousekjarr wrote:
With a car, Kaprun and Saalbach/Hinterglemm are definitely worth visiting, though Saalbach isn't covered by the basic Zell lift pass. Further afield, St Johann, Wagrain and Gastein are possibles, as is Lofer in the other direction.

The Salzburg Super Ski Card covers all those areas and many more; €224 for 6 days. I would add the Hochkönig area (from Maria Alm) to the list, just down the road from Zell am See, and the Schneewinkl (Fieberbrunn, etc.) a little futher away. All areas will be moderately busy at that time but, apart from the first lift up, the queues shouldn't usually be too bad.

In Zell I usually use the Areitbahn but I don't know whether it is better or worse than the other lifts.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller, Went at New Year four years ago and going again this year. It was busy but not busy enough to put me off, lift queues maybe five mins as opposed to one or two but only at choke point lifts.

By choice I normally go in mid January but this year is a big family trip and only New Year suits. Plenty snow the last time and even the lake was frozen sufficiently to walk on.

Most daytrippers access from the Schmittental or from the Areitbahn at Schuttdorf as that is where the free parking is. The tourists use these too but the main concentration of tourists will access via the City Express (Zeller Bergbahn) from Zell itself. Where is the apartment you've been offered?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We have been to Zell for the last 5 years around New Year and lift queues are not so bad ..We find the worst queue is from City Express when people are heading for classes at around 9.30. am.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all. Yes, even you, Samerberg Sue, my little secret forum lover (sorry Shimmy). Strewth, can you imagine? Guess we'd shack up in Austria, which is ideal because I'd be able to keep her in the cellar, only allowing her up when needing traffic directions or to softly tell me how encyclopaedic I am. But give up my "soft armchair in Suburbia"? Errrr... maybe not.

So the deed is done. Will take the crowds as they come, if they do. Only place I've not tried around there is Maria Alm so fancy I'll take a drive over there too.

kooky, a very nice offer thanks but I'll be on dad duty. But hey, if the aptly named SS is going to be there might engineer a night off.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I'm delighted you didn't take the opportunity to advise on winter tyres or try and persuade me to change to centre-of-the-universe Ski Amade either!

Awesome...!! Wagrain, Hochkoenig, Alpendorf.... and all without a prompt!... careful Bode Swiller, it seems the universe might be closing in on you!!

kooky, why oh why do I have this whole guest thang going on???...
My NYE.... cook for guests (if they bother to book)...
Sort out party in the hut outside...
Celebrate the whole midnight thang...
Hightale it to the Camelot bar in Fuggo...
Play a Sax 'n' Skins set from 1am - 4 am...
Teach an English school group at 8:45am... OUCH!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy