Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes - Black Sache run - wot's it like?

Poster: A snowHead
PeakyB wrote:
@doogo, a must do run Sache. I think @admin sums it up perfectly.
And reassuringly, I still agree with my own 7 year old summary Smile

Love it, for its length and variation Cool
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PeakyB wrote:

Epaule du Charvet not to be under estimated but overall I’d say less challenging than Sache.

It's interesting how things are perceived. As I said, the last time I did Sache I found it much steeper and more scary on the tough section than I remembered, and I had a big wobble because I stupidly stopped! The main issue was other nervous skiers in the way. Yet several times before that I did it without a problem and thought it was OK. Mostly because the majority of the run is very straight forward. It really is lovely apart from 'that' bit.

Epaule was right on the outside edge of my comfort zone, and if I'd stopped I would probably have frozen - I was thinking "eeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!!" as I did it, as it got steeper and steeper!!. As it was, I did it non stop and had that wonderful, confident feeling of achievement afterwards. Whether I ever ski it again is another matter!!

I'll never do Foret..
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I remember once leading a small group down the Sache sometime ago and warning them about the steep mogul bit at the end because in my own words "It's too steep for a piste machine".

We arrived there about mid morning and the mogul field had been flattened out overnight so the slope was in perfect condition. I think it may be one of those situations where they use a winch to anchor the piste basher.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I must admit I preferred the big mogul field to the time I went down that bit and it was flat but horrendously icy. Still one of my favourite runs.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I passed a guy trying to get his nervous intermediate girlfriend down Sache last year. It was my third time down it that day, the bottom third being particularly icy with people scrapping two channels by side slipping either side of the piste. I remember thinking she was going to be in a world of pain in the next five minutes and he might be an ex boyfriend by the end of the run Very Happy.
My advice would be to take one of the reds into Brevs, as they get icier the lower you get and that will give you an idea of how the bottom of Sache is skiing. Only an idea mind you, Sache will be steeper and icier. Oh, and first thing in the morning is always best, especially after a piste basher
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice. May do a recce on my own first and then judge. Whether its doable.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IME pistes like Sache can vary enormously with the prevailing conditions of which there are many factors not to mention the fitness, attributes and attitude of the individual skier - again, which are highly variable. For example, I took a technically average but very calm and relaxed skier down the Tunnel in ADH late morning when the snow had softened and it wasn't too crowded. And it was all fine. But early in the morning when icy and crowded or later in the day when she was tired it could have all been very different.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I loved skiing Sache the one time I did it, we had great snow conditions and had most of the run to ourselves. It is a lovely long isolated run which I had always wanted to do but had been too scared to do in previous years. I really don't think I would have enjoyed it if it had been icy or crowded though.

The mogul field was 'interesting'. Two girls had fallen over and were in tears due to the size of the bumps. My partner fell over almost at once and lost one of his skis near the top ( he claims he was distracted by the crying girls! ). He slid quite a way down the slope on his bum and ended up calming the two girls down while I had to ski down carrying his lost ski. Not the elegant descent we'd hoped for!

Looking forward to doing it again one day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Off at a very slight tangent.

Another black run very close to Sache was Silene. On a few occasions that was much more challenging than Sache, owing to massive moguls for a long stretch. By massive, I mean I couldn’t see over them and I’m nearly 6 foot.

I’m going back 15 years or more. Is what was Silene now an off piste section anyone know?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PeakyB, Silene is now a 'naturide' ie secured by the Pisteurs but never pisted so the bumps grow and grow until a big dump. The gentle start still lures the unaware!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep, Silene is a quad burner for sure. You don't enjoy it you just get down it
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, @Coco, thanks, so it’s treated similar to that Guerlain Chicherit area, except it’s much steeper?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@PeakyB, yes it's horrible. Won't ever be doing that again, I bailed onto the red!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank god my hip surgeon told me several years ago that I couldnt do mogul fields - gave me an instant "out" whenever anyone mentioned Sache snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We were staying in Les Brev last Easter and did Sache several times - the only challenging bit I remember was with sideways the smallest stalling in his shush and getting very grumpy on the flatest part and me having to drag him along quite a way so if by chance you're skiing it with a 6 year old, be prepared as they might run out of steam! Once he was moving again he left me for dust, he may have only been 6 last year but the lucky thing has had 2 weeks a year since he could walk!
latest report
In my limited experience, Sache is no harder than other blacks in EK. However, it is much, much longer. It's one thing to be skiing at the limit of your ability for a few minutes. Keeping up that effort from the top to the bottom of the mountain is a much bigger ask.

The other problem with Sachet is that the massive change in elevation means snow conditions can and will vary hugely as you go down. It's easy to find powder, sheet ice, slush, soft moguls, rock-hard moguls and bare earth within a few minutes of each other. And sun at the top can easily turn into fog mid-mountain and rain at the bottom. You just can't tell.

In other words, don't try Sache until you're ready for anything that a piste can throw at you. Once you're at that point, there are few greater on-piste runs to enjoy anywhere in the world.
snow report
Once you've done Vallon de la Sachette then Sache is the 'gentle' runout down to Brevieres. snowHead
ski holidays
@Kenzie, There's the Vallon de la Sache, which takes one of the entrances to the valley accessed by climbing up from the top of the Aiguille Percée, and there's the Vallonet which traverses below the ridge on the Lac side and takes the furthest possible entry into the valley. The French have a pun which calls it the Salon de la Vache.
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:
@PeakyB, yes it's horrible. Won't ever be doing that again, I bailed onto the red!!

It's easy to spot Seline from the Aiguille Percée chair. You look down to the right and will first notice two Parisian hot shot skiers, with their terrified 'second day on skis' girlfriends/wives, often with the girls crying.

Watching them is a fun way to while away the hours on this chair lift Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy