Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I need an expensive pant?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I bought a pair of Decathlon Pull n Fit approx £40 last year and did not expect much. Proved to be excellent and when sat on wet snow slush on chairlifts, backside remained completely dry. Only achieved with previous pants by wearing a bin liner skirt!!! After 5 weeks skiing, still in good nick and then washed and treated with Nikwax waterproofing for good measure. Bought some more for this year, same price.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yoda wrote:
Oceanic, is that just Paclite or all variants to which you refer? Can you point us to some references?

A reference? Feel line I'm back at university! There you go...

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/orwm_2011_wrapup_waterproof-breathable_technologies.html

To quote from the article 'The polyurethane layer limits Gore-Tex's breathability to the process of vapour diffusion only, and eliminates any air permeability directly through the fabric'.

Re: Paclite - it is not just Paclite that has the impermeable PU layer, it is all Gore-Tex other than tent Gore-tex and first generation Gore-Tex. The manufacturers stopped making clothes from first generation Goretex more than 20 years ago.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/breathability.pdf

Can anyone understand this? It's beyond me, but might be helpful in this debate ! Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://69.39.31.102:8888/Blog/Pertex/01.2011/1.11.Backpackinglight.com.pertex.pdf

This is the pdf of the article Oceanic, refers to, and it does indeed state that for the Gortex vapour transfer to kick in, you need to be pretty sweaty first, which for me defeats the object and explains whey when I stop moving (ie lunch) the jacket is cold and damp inside, it's the insulation/fleece that is keeping me warm and dry. Yes it keeps the snow/rain out, but so do many cheaper jackets, ie my Trespass one! wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sharon1953 wrote:
for the Gortex vapour transfer to kick in, you need to be pretty sweaty first,

I think that is what your graph of the relative 'breathability' of fabrics shows too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oceanic, thanks for the link, and sharon1953 thanks for making it accessible Toofy Grin

I actually had an early Goretex jacket, made by Berghaus and bought in the early-mid 70's as I recall. I wish I'd kept it now for comparison purposes.

I have both Goretex and Event clothing, but it's hard to make a comparison since conditions vary.

As for jonny jones, of course you need an expensive pair of trousers - can I interest you in some lightweight Arcteryx ones in black, size M, unworn? Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I tend to buy most of my gear end of season in the sale as you get really good deals. Hardly any of the tech changes, just the design. So check out end of season sales, i got a jacket and pants for 50% off. It was amazing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The "names" with breathable fabric are probably more comfortable imv. I bought some Columbia Omnitech salopettes in eos sales over 10 years ago and they're still good (using 1 or 2 weeks annually). I still think goretex probably performs best but it's more important with the jacket than the pants imv.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am not a label snob so have had Columbia, HH and Dare2B. I found D2B 20,000 stuff to be pretty good. Got some nice Club II salopettes for £50 and they kepy me warm and dry even in middle of a rare snowfall last year. Jackets got D2B 10,000 and for day to day it done the trick, it did suffer a little in middle of said blizzard so i have went for a 20k this year.

For the 1-2 per week i dont see why spending £650 on Spyder or Gucci is worth it, 20k is 20k or is it???

I suppose the inital outlay is high but some people must have the gear where as £150 is more pallatble to myself and I have never felt cold or wet in my time on slopes.

It all comes down to budget and requirements, 10,000k is a minimum IMHO.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have £180 Eider **trousers** which I bought 12 years ago. Still going strong and have never let me down.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I used to have may doubts about top of the range, named gear but never got the chance to try it 'cause I couldn't afford it! Having been working at a well known high ropes course we had to contribute to our uniform, that saw me get a £250 North Face shell jacket (no insulation at all) for very little. After being subjected to the worst that the British weather could throw at me whilst pulling myself up a 260m zip line, negotiating the course and then climbing down a rope ladder I was very impressed! Bone dry, no rain penetrated, all my sweat vanished and the rain didn't even go down the cuffs. The same can almost be said for the £150 fleece but obviously that got heavy but can't remember it actually penetrating through to the base layer (I got caught in some heavy showers in it but again obviously if it was expected prolonged rain I'd be in the shell).

Don't know if the prices are justified however it is well built, lightweight technical gear. If any one is wondering it's North Face Summit Series gear!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy