Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

season workers bank accounts (boring stuff)

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all, I will be working in Austria this season and also my first!

I was wondering what the best bank account to use is, I have a Natwest account and with 9 years of experience, can garuntee they will shaft me sideways!

I was wondering if I should get an Austrian bank account, or better than yet, how to get an austrian bank account? I dont seem to be able to do it in advance.

Failing that, i found the "metro bank" which claims to charge zero fees and can be done entirely over the internet, unfortunately the bank ahs only been open for 1 year, and exists only in london... on th eplus side, its open til 8pm on a weekday!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
median wrote:
Hey all, I will be working in Austria this season and also my first!

I was wondering what the best bank account to use is, I have a Natwest account and with 9 years of experience, can garuntee they will shaft me sideways!

I was wondering if I should get an Austrian bank account, or better than yet, how to get an austrian bank account? I dont seem to be able to do it in advance.

Failing that, i found the "metro bank" which claims to charge zero fees and can be done entirely over the internet, unfortunately the bank ahs only been open for 1 year, and exists only in london... on th eplus side, its open til 8pm on a weekday!

Who are you getting paid by? If you're on an english contract from an english TO you'll be paid in ££ so what's the need for a Austrian Bank account? Just get one where you don't get powned for taking money out abroad. Metro is good, but you can achieve the same surely by having a pre-paid visa e.g. canton fx or similar and then just top it up from the gnatwest account...

oh and read this thread for other helpful ideas - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=81392
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wot they said. Caxton fx cards all the way
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
median, I've got a metro bank account which I use just for holiday funds. They don't charge for withdrawals abroad and give the interbank rate. Unless things have changed since I opened mine last year you need to go into a branch to open the account.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's a couple of others that now do free usage abroad, Cumberland and Norwich&Peterborough IIRC. But yeah, if you're on a UK contract for a TO you don't need an Austrian account. If you're on a local contract it's different, but I do recall seeing posters up advertising a bank account if a seasonnaire when I was in Anton a season or two ago.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Some of my (UK) friends in the ski school in St Anton got Austrian accounts. They just walked into the branch...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999, you need to be registered in Austria in order to get an account, and most of them will have monthly fees. I know you need to be registered to work within Austria... but from first-hand experience, this can take many months to actually be properly sorted as you have to go to Landeck.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm sure you could register somewhere in St Anton... I never actually got 'round to registering that season Embarassed , but I'm pretty sure the ski school said there was somewhere in St Anton you could do it. Although I did here stories where one season one of the TO's got screwed over somehow for no registering or something.

Either way, it's just one little form to fill in, pretty straightforward.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How it was done with us was that the forms were submitted to the Gemeinde in St. Anton but we still had to go to Landeck for "interviews" which were just basically to confirm the registrations. That may be cause I was working for a TO though.. and as you say... is prob a lot easier as an individual.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for Caxton fx. Competitive rates, no withdrawal fees, no need to change your existing account. Also impossible for naughty people to rinse your account if they pinch the card.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Timmaah wrote:
How it was done with us was that the forms were submitted to the Gemeinde in St. Anton but we still had to go to Landeck for "interviews" which were just basically to confirm the registrations. That may be cause I was working for a TO though.. and as you say... is prob a lot easier as an individual.

Nah, that's the same for everybody working in Austria, nit just a TO thing. Register with the Geminde in St Anton, then register with the regional dudes (Landeck), all the "interview" actually involves is you turning up in person with identity and your contract, which they check to make sure you're getting a reasonable deal. You can do it straight away on arrival, but the TO's don't as you have to pay when you register in Landeck (10 I think it was), so they only do it when they have to. They can, and do, fine you if you don't register/don't register properly.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sitter wrote:

Nah, that's the same for everybody working in Austria,

including locals?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Many local businesses & TO do not ask you to register immediately because they use this as a small probation period. i.e. if a ski bum turns up drunk for his job on the 2,3,4 or 5th day he is told not to come back & therefore no paperwork involved.

davidof,

including locals?

Yes this is normal in a lot of European countries. If you move to another Province or City Council you have to de-register & register at your new address.

They want to make sure there getting their local taxes !!!!

Failure does result in fines.

Governments in Austria,Germany,Switzerland are a lot more democratic & provincial (Federal) than they are in the UK.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sitter wrote:
Timmaah wrote:

Nah, that's the same for everybody working in Austria, nit just a TO thing. Register with the Geminde in St Anton, then register with the regional dudes (Landeck), all the "interview" actually involves is you turning up in person with identity and your contract, which they check to make sure you're getting a reasonable deal. You can do it straight away on arrival, but the TO's don't as you have to pay when you register in Landeck (10 I think it was), so they only do it when they have to. They can, and do, fine you if you don't register/don't register properly.

OK, my mistake. Think it was 15 when I registered for work over the summer.

As to the fines, at one point the police came round to the Schilehrerhaus to check if everyone had registered (lucky I was out!). One of my mates hadn't registered yet also. The fine was supposed to be 70-odd euros I think, but he didn't have any cash - so they just took his iPod!! Not quite right, really.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't need to register to get an Austrian bank account though, at least not with the Raffeisenbank, just walk in. There's a free account, and on ewith a small monthly charge that means you get a card to use as well.
ski holidays
+1 for the Caxton FX card, I got one last year and it's saved me so much money over the past 3 seasons! If you're working for a UK TO you need a UK bank account.
latest report
Hi all, thanks for all the help, I think i will go with the old Caxton FX card because next season I may go to a different country!
snow report
Mine arrived in 4 days - great service.
latest report
After having a little chat with Caxton, in order to have money paid into the caxton account that ISNT from my normal bank account, I must supply a letter of employment and a few other bits and bobs. might be worth considering this if you are doing a season : )

Also, when phoning caxton, you spend zero time talking to a robot, its just picked up b a person straight away! how good is that? : D
snow conditions
Why not just transfer the money yourself and save all the paperwork? It would mean that you would have to do online banking.. but if you're taking an iphone/ipod/android phone/laptop that shouldn't be too much of an issue.
latest report
Or just open an account with one of the companies that offer free transactions/withdrawals abroad (Cumberland, Metro, Norwich & Peterborough, might be a few others too).
snow report
Sitter, because a) you get a more competitive exchange rate with Caxton/Fair/etc; b) you can buy your euros when it suits you/when the rate is good; c) you don't have to move your existing account to an organisation whose other services might not suit your needs; and d) anyone pinching/cloning the card won't have access to your account and all your dosh.
latest report
Surely D is a bit of a non point as the prepaid cards can get cloned as well...And anyone doing a season with a TO is unlikely to have more than a few hundred in their current account.
ski holidays
Timmaah, obviously they can be cloned, but the cloner can only take what's on the card, not everything in your account. And if some fùcker pinches all the cash you own it doesn't make much difference if it's a couple of hundred or a million, does it?
latest report
I get what you're saying Lizzard, but I am just going under the assumption that nobody keeps all their money in one single account. You might bank with only one bank, but I would imagine that it is the norm to have multiple accounts with that bank, savings, isa, etc. Getting a bit off-topic though!
snow conditions
I didn't mean move your existing account, just open a second one to use for the season, in which case there wouldn't be much in there for cloning/pinching purposes anyway! Depends on the job to some extent, if you're a chalet host and do a good enough job then you don't need to touch your bank account if your tips are good enough.
ski holidays
Timmaah, old people with wads of cash do that sort of thing. Your average seasonnaire tends not to have anough wonga to fill a piggy bank, let alone half a dozen ISAs. Laughing
latest report
Lizzard, you'd be surprised... a substantial number of people I was on a season with last season all had multiple accounts, and saving accounts etc. Few actually had ISAs!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why the FUDGE would I want to go and set up a bank account and jump through the assorted hoops when I can just buy a card, get a better rate and top up as and when I need?

Timmaah, they are not the norm
snow conditions
If you take out a First Direct Account then all the admin is done online (they are a subsiduary of HSBC).

If you sign up to thier first directory account (£13 per month) you get the following benefits:

Holiday Insurance (including winter cover)
Break down cover
Mobile Phone Insurance
Free Overseas cashpoint withdrawals
and a few other benefits, discounts etc.

Perfect for the traveller, everthing is organised via the phone or on-line, insurance and free withdrawls.....happy dayz!

I'm in the Military so travel a lot! I've been using this account and bank for the last 15+yrs without any hassle.

Mark
ski holidays
thepirate, for holidaymakers rather than seasonaires.
latest report
Nadenoodlee, an excellent question and one I contemplated asking but really couldn't be@rsed. Laughing
ski holidays
thepirate, and why, exactly, would a seasonnaire on a chalet wage waste valuable cash on paying for a bank account? rolling eyes
latest report
Why does every thread on this forum result in a pissing contest?
snow report
Nadenoodlee, I'm not sure of the limitations but worth checking out.

Lizzard,

1) because the benefits to the traveller would cost far more if they were paid for individually.

2) Who say's that everyone is on a chalet wage? this thread is just as applicable to someone who maybe earning a half decent living at it.

3) its just an option, you can either take it or leave it.......no need to wee wee on my bonfire;-)
ski holidays
thepirate, read the small print.

- Minimum contract is 12 months (season is five)
- Travel Insurance protects you and your family for holidays or trips for leisure purposes (not for working abroad)
- Individual trips are insured for up to 30 days in duration (not for five months)
- You are covered for winter sports for 21 days within a 12 month period (leaving you about 70 days of uninsured skiing)
latest report
£13 a month x 12 = £156 a year

Caxton Card =£10 refunded upon upload but lets play nice....

so by having said Caxton card and continuing to bank with my Halifax chums I am saving £146. My holiday insurance - annual (not usable for a season) is £36, my breakdown was £7 with a cashback deal and my mobile phone insurance is included with the contents so lets call it £60 so all in all I still save £100.

I wee wee HIGHEST Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

I wee wee HIGHEST

Quite an achievement given your bird-style urinary equipment. Laughing
snow report
Lizzard, just stand on someone elses shoulders Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy