Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Mayor of Alta - shrine of powder skiing - retires - after 34 years in office

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Alta in Utah is not only America's greatest playground of powder (for many) ... it is also a remarkably unspoilt and protected place.

Alta's greatest defender from would-be developers (no building has gone up since the 1960s) is its mayor Bill Levitt, but the 88-year-old is now to retire - after 34 years in office and no fewer than nine terms of office.

"It really is an end of an era," says Lisa Smith, executive director of Save Our Canyons, a Utah pressure group. "In a lot of ways, Bill Levitt is Alta."

This report from The Daily Herald.

Anyone else had the privilege of skiing Alta?
[For anyone wanting to ski Alta (you're forbidden from snowboarding it), it's just up the road from Snowbird, and now lift-linked with Snowbird. Sadly there was no powder in Alta - March 1978 - when I dropped by, but you can't win 'em all.]

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 23-08-05 16:01; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No doubt the fox will have carved a few lines there?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm an intermediate skier. Wife and I skied at Alta last year and loved it. Far and away the best snow conditions I've ever been on. Our last day at Alta was a powder day and it absolutely wore me out. It's a retro ski area, it's really not much of a resort. The base lodges are simple, the food is basic American, there are no safety bars on any of the lifts. There's virtually no village and I wouldn't want to stay there for more than a couple of days. There are nice intermediate trails off every lift, but they could be covered quite easily in a day. There are lots of places where an intermediate can venture into bumps and, if it's snowed recently, powder without getting to far from groomed terrain. Folks have to hike to much of the best off-piste expert skiing. It's only 20 minutes or so from Salt Lake City and about 45 minutes from Park City.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alta rocks.

Everything's "inbounds", the powder was fantastis, etc. Endeavouring to get back there in March.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was there in Jan 1996 when there was so much snow they had to close SLC airport.

My last day was the best powder day I have ever had. It had snowed 11 feet in the previous two days and I learned
later that it was snowing 4 inches per hour that day.

I remember doing laps on the same chair, when I got back to the top my tracks had been filled in.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy