Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva to Val Thorens transfer?

Poster: A snowHead
One person, one way in early january.

How to do it?

The collective's experience would be very welcome.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
Airports are connected to Val Thorens by regular bus lines
Our partner altibus.com offers you to book your bus connexion between the Lyon Saint-Exupéry, Genève-Cointrin, Chambéry/Aix les Bains airports and Val Thorens and from Moûtiers (SNCF railway station

http://www.valthorens.com/winter-en/val-thorens/resort-and-useful-information/transportation.25.html
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We normally book a shared shuttle via Ski-lifts who previously have been pretty prompt & reliable.

Going from Geneva to Val Thorens last February booked them again, flight was late and we missed the "shared shuttle" and were handed tickets for the public bus service, unfortunately we were travelling on a Sunday and there was a 4 hour wait for the next scheduled service.

Ski-lifts have now made it clearer on their web-site that this is a public bus, not a shuttle bus door-to-door.

If I'd known, would probably have booked direct with them, I think it was "Gare Routiere de Geneve" (www.coach-station.com). Currently, ski-lifts are quoting £78.99, Gare Routiere are quoting €79.50.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Altibus.com should solve all your problems
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chocksaway, except the website doesn't give you anything useful and comes up with 404 errors every time you try and request anything...

I'm trying to get from Chambery to Val Thorens and ski-lifts isn't much use either - quoting £548 for a private transfer or £1017 for a coach (admittedly we would have a lot of space Laughing ), but no mention of a public bus. There will only be 3 of us going to Chambery and £182pp for return transfers is more than I want to pay.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rbobmcstuff, There are regular trains from Chambery to Moutier and then local buses from the train station (though I don't know how frequently - I've always been there early morning). If you are coming from the airport I assume there must be a shuttle bus to the station, though I've never looked into it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try http://www.bensbus.co.uk/ - not used them yet myself but they seem to be quoting a bit cheaper than Altibus has been in the past. Planning to use them myself this season - only do weekend transfers though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have booked with Bensbus from Grenoble to L2A after quite a few friends have used them and found them good, £45 return
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another option that does a lot in that valley is http://www.mountainexpress.co.uk/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rungsp, Pricelist for Geneva to Val Thorens with Alpskibus can be found here http://www.alpski-bus.com/pdf/aeroski-busTarifs.pdf ,looks expensive at 79.50 euros one way and 135 euros return but probably the easiest option for 1 person.

Timetable can be viewed here http://www.alpski-bus.com/pdf/aeroski-bus.pdf

bobmcstuff, From Chambery airport to Val Thorens altibus run 3 busses on a Saturday and 2 on a Sunday, cost showng as 50 euros return.

http://www.mobisavoie.fr/rt/TNG66/dA/07%2F01%2F2012/dR/14%2F01%2F2012%0A/5693-altibus.htm

If the times don't match your flights and you want to take the train to Moutiers you have to take a taxi from Chambery airport to the train station, it costs 20 euros each way.
Busses from Moutiers to Val Thorens can be found at www.altibus.com , however the timetable for winter is still not available for busses from Moutiers, I assume they are waiting for the train timetables to be issued by SNCF.
The cost of a return from Moutiers to Val Thorens is 15 euros with altibus.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 4-11-11 20:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skichampcouk wrote:
rungsp
bobmcstuff, From Chambery airport to Val Thorens altibus run 3 busses on a Saturday and 2 on a Sunday, cost showng as 50 euros return.

http://www.mobisavoie.fr/rt/TNG66/dA/07%2F01%2F2012/dR/14%2F01%2F2012%0A/5693-altibus.htm

Excellent, cheers dude. For some reason the Altibus website doesn't work but this one does.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How much time should I leave? My flight gets in at 10am, will I make the 10.30 bus easily? Don't really wanna be sat in the airport waiting for the 14.15, wouldn't mind getting a few runs in when we get there...

Our return flight is at 11am so we're gonna have to get the 5.45 and sit in the airport for hours rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quick look on Bensbus and it is £73 return
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bobmcstuff wrote:
How much time should I leave? My flight gets in at 10am, will I make the 10.30 bus easily? Don't really wanna be sat in the airport waiting for the 14.15, wouldn't mind getting a few runs in when we get there...

Our return flight is at 11am so we're gonna have to get the 5.45 and sit in the airport for hours rolling eyes

Is this a serious question?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I used bensbus and it was fine.
The journey is long, you won't be getting any runs in even if you miraculously get the early bus. (you'd have to travel with only hand luggage that's for sure)
latest report
hire a car and stop messing about Very Happy
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
bobmcstuff wrote:

Is this a serious question?

This person may be skiing near you, be afraid.
ski holidays
Ok screw you guys...

I'm not that bad a skier (honest).
snow report
Anyway I'm assuming that's a no, and yes I will be waiting in the airport for hours, and yes the transfer does takes hours.
ski holidays
bobmcstuff, Bob if your plane lands at 10.00, and is on time , and you sit at the front, and are the first off, sprint like Mr. Bolt, know exactly where you are going, and where to meet the bus , it is possible-just.

If on the other hand your plane is 5 minutes late, you are in row 8 behind a large group of non urgent people milling about the aisle, get stopped by a Swiss police man for running in his airport, get stuck a queue at passport control etc. No chance.

The drive is about2.5-3.0 hours, so you will not have more than a couple of hours at the airport. NehNeh

Hope you enjoy the skiing.
ski holidays
Cheers for helpful answer.

Apologies for sounding like an idiot (apparently) - I've only ever got a coach from the UK before (2x uni trips and season for TO), so my knowledge of airport transfers is limited.

Probably should have asked a friend first rather than have my head bitten off on a forum.
snow conditions
When I got bens bus the coach from Geneva stopped at Moutiers, and there everyone piled on to seperate minibuses to go to all the various resorts. FYI no toilet on the bus.
ski holidays
Quote:

Bob if your plane lands at 10.00, and is on time , and you sit at the front, and are the first off, sprint like Mr. Bolt, know exactly where you are going, and where to meet the bus , it is possible-just.

and I think you have to buy a ticket before you get on the bus, don't you?

and you'd need to have no baggage - and especially no skis.
ski holidays
I will be doing roughly the same route next Feb but I won't be using Bensbus as it's not a door-to-door service - being dropped in the rain at midnight 'near' our accommodation in Les Deux Alpes last year was a miserable experience. Transfer from main coach to minibuses at the bottom of the mountain without much info being given, resulting on two guys getting on the wrong minibus and our one having to return for them! Also they kept us waiting at Grenoble airport for our scheduled coach even though a half-empty one was about to depart on the exact same route - waste of a few hours.
Will be checking out some of you guys other suggestions though, thanks!
snow conditions
Quote:

head bitten off on a forum

Bob, don't take it to heart, everyone is a bit light-headed at the moment waiting for the season to start. I'm sure nobody intended more than a gentle ribbing.

And if you think the above, amounts to having your head bitten off, you need to stay off forums generally Very Happy

Now get on and book that hire car....
snow report
Just seen on another thread that the altibus website is now up and running with the winter timetable. Had a quick check and busses from Moutiers to Val Thorens and Moutiers to Champagny were available so I assume all other routes are now available.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy