Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

off piste advice where how

Poster: A snowHead
being skiing now for 3 years 3 times a year. woiuld love to try off piste though so i guess my question wheres he best resort to learn from guides( if thats possible ) have never done it so complete novice. what kinda prices . any web links would be appreciated as it really like to start getting a bit more adventurous on next trip. cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What is your budget? Quickest way to learn would be to come to Canada and do some cat skiing... I think some of the operators do intro weeks but it won't be cheap....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Take a look at this http://easiski.com/On2OFF.html Excellent instructor.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another vote for easiski. Failing that, go on a SCGB hoiday or a SH bash where off-piste introduction instruction is offered from qualified instructors.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How: lessons
Where: where you get good instructor!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
www.snoworks.co.uk

Does great courses for exactly your level and upwards. Clientele (of those I've been on anyway) mostly 30s-40s, with some off each end. Normally about 40-50 people per week divided into groups of about 6-8 each, so lots of opportunity to shift groups if you find you've over- (or under- Wink ) estimated your ability. Some courses are half day, which gives you chance to practice what you've learned in the other half day. Very sociable bunches, so if you're on your tod you'll probably be able to hook up with others in your (or similar) group for that "unsupervised practice". Other courses are full days - and some add guides in for half the week as well as the full-on instructing. Talk to the office (they may well put you in touch with Phil directly) to choose the best for you.

SCGB are OK, but I think Snoworks are far more geared up to the instructional side of things and you get way better bang for buck until you've got a load more experience. Don't go for guides just yet - they will take you to awsome places, and can teach you mountain safety stuff, but they're mostly not trained instructors (or really allowed to teach, other than give the odd tip), so you'll be making a lot of it up yourself with them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GrahamN, that's very encouraging. I'm going to St Anton with them in January. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pedantica, When are you there? I'll be there (with the SKGB) from 22nd for a week.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stoat of the dead, earlier, I'm afraid, the week of the 8th.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How about Powder Club in St Anton www.powderclub.at - this is a daily group lesson, a bit like ski school but all off-piste; a few groups of diff standards usually go out, it's about 90 Euros a day, way cheaper than a guide. Or Mountain Tracks off-piste courses - www.mountaintracks.co.uk. Or try Inspired to Ski www.inspiredtoski.com; for instance an all-mountain course. I wouldn't fork out for a guide until you've learnt with an instructor - and bear in mind in Switz a qualified professeur can take you almost anywhere a guide can - just not on a glacier. Ski schools in places like Obergurgl and Lech in Austria often have groups going off-piste too. Or there are two schools in Val d'Isere where you can join a group and it's good value - I can't remember the names but I expect someone here knows... Good luck!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had a couple of days of off piste instruction with these guys last season

http://www.skinewgen.com/

Brilliant and I'll recommend them to anyone. I had a lad called Tom (that doesn't sound good does it!!!) in courchevel and spent two afternoons being shown how to ski steeps and bumps properly.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
KURWA100, You can get adventurous without necessarily needing a guide or going in an organised group. lots of European resorts have 'itinery' runs, typically these will be marked as dotted lines on piste maps. What constitutes an 'itinery' varies from resort to resort, they may or may not have markers (usually a single line of posts roughly down the centre of the route), and they may or may not be avalanche protected (ie closed when there is avalanche danger), so check before you ski them.

Also, in N America you can ski anywhere 'in bounds', there is no real distinction between piste and off piste, especially for the harder routes marked on the piste map.

Off course there is no substitute for proper instruction, but you don't need to limit yourself to the groomed slopes when not with a guide/instructor
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Take a look at PisteToPowder - based in St Anton, all the guides are full UIAGM guides PLUS full ski instructor qualifications. But more than that, they are just really nice people to ski with, and St Anton is fab:-)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shoogly, this Tom? http://www.skinewgen.com/our-team/courchevel-1850.html Second from right, top row.
I had lessons with him at last year's EoSB, thought he was absolutely terrific.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You could ski with Alpine Experience in Val d'Isere. There are several other companies there who do similar things but I reckon they are probably the most suitable. All are either native English speakers or at least speak reasonable English. They will put you in a group of the same standard with a guide and also do lessons on off-piste.

Itineraries in many resorts (such as St Anton) tend to be just old pistes (usually blacks) which they don't want to have to groom or look after at a level they would have to a piste. I have never heard of one which was not avalanche assessed and closed if it is dangerous from that point of view. However these get skied a lot and really are not like off piste except just after a snow fall. The thrill of off-piste is skiing deep natural snow far from where everyone else skis. Of course it may be heavy old snow which is much more difficult than powder, or breakable crust, the most difficult of the lot. but you will come to enjoy those too later as you come to relish just exploring whatever is out there.

The problem with just deciding to do off-piste without reference to conditions is it might be much more difficult if it hasn't snowed for a while (though a good guide will usually find untracked powder for quite a while after the last dump (unless there has been a thaw and re-freeze or high winds from several directions). Certainly a first experience with new or newish powder will be much more confidence enhancing and enjoyable.

It is usually possible to join a group at very short notice, except perhaps at peak moments of the season or just after a dump. Better to book on the strength of snow forecast in that case.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 1-10-11 11:36; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
Evo 2 in Montchavin and ask for Francky for one on one
latest report
MountainMaid, crikey - when I skied a day with the St Anton Powder club it certainly wasn't foor off-piste beginners - and there was precious little instruction. Wouldn't have missed it, but that day was not what the OP is after.
snow report
We found the intro on the EoSB was good value and gave us plenty of basic stuff to think about. With instructors teaching us, and guiding us, it was a good way to give it a go in relatively benign environment.

From there, I guess the route is really a proper serious course with all the gear etc. But the intro sessions on the bash were an ideal way to help make decisions on whether it is something to pursue, because you either do it properly or you don't do it - and doing it properly can be expensive.
ski holidays
Try "Snoworks" featuring Phil Smith BASI top gun, whom changes your perception of off-piste from basic level to BASI 4. Has Emma Carrick Anderson ladies slalom champion to spark up the day. France: Tignes, Val and 3Valleys.
ski holidays
North America (on the west side)
ski holidays
By the way, guided groups off piste are never more than 6 (or occasionally 7). If you are in luck it might be only 3 or 4.
ski holidays
Pedantica wrote:
shoogly, this Tom? http://www.skinewgen.com/our-team/courchevel-1850.html Second from right, top row.
I had lessons with him at last year's EoSB, thought he was absolutely terrific.

And seconded based on my experience with them on last years EoSB, still can't believe how much I learnt in those 3 lessons from the Newgen instructors
snow report
Piste to Powder in St Anton are absolutely brilliant, althought probably not the cheapest.
latest report
Pedantica, yep, that's the tom. Good lad, great skier and top, very patient teacher.
ski holidays
KURWA100, You've had some good advice so far but I'll chip in my 2p. What sort of level are you? i.e. can you skis most pistes steep blacks etc, skis bumps/moguls. I reckon there are a few good ways to prepare for off piste. One is to ski the bumps and mogul fields, this will help you with off piste terrain and teach you to adjust to the terrain and be more dynamic. Another way is in many resorts you can go off the piste and then bail out if needs be or you want to get back on piste.

Many big resorts will have a something that will probably offer a piste to powder type lesson. Tbh getting a guide isn't the way to go for now, my experience is the guide is there to keep you safe, and use their knowlege to find the best conditions, not to teach you how to ski. Some may give some hints and tips.
ski holidays
Quote:

How about Powder Club in St Anton www.powderclub.at - this is a daily group lesson, a bit like ski school but all off-piste; a few groups of diff standards usually go out, it's about 90 Euros a day, way cheaper than a guide.
Best value in the Alps has to be Alpine Experience in Val D'Isere - 55 euros per person for an off piste morning. We've been with them once and are really looking forward to going back for more. Our "group booking" comprised just our own group of 4.

http://www.alpineexperience.com/
latest report
UCPA for French resorts. Cater specifically for 18-39 year olds. Provide all food, ski hire, lift pass, accom, full time lessons or off piste guiding for extrodinary prices. Well worth a visit, the UK bookings are all done through

www.action-outdoors.co.uk

The guides are very good, the off piste guides are mostly mountain rescue guys and know the mountains like the backs of their hands. Even in bad snow conditions (i.e. last winter) they know where the best snow is found and take you there... I've got a trip booked with them next month... Fingers crossed for plenty of snow!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy