Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas & New year arrival dates

Poster: A snowHead
We initially started by offering mostly Sat-Sat for the X-Mas & New Year period ie. Sat17-Sat24, Sat24-Sat31, Sat31-Sat07 and most other operators to France seem to have done the same. We do however also offer some Fri-Fri and other combinations. As we are getting closer to the dates, with a bit of support from our suppliers we will be able to offer different durations and starting days over that period but we are still unsure as to what may work better. It would be interesting to hear what you guys think even if you have already committed to something. Sorry guys can't afford to pay a market research company (not that they would know better anyway) wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've booked Fri 23rd to Fri 30th with Rocketski and am very pleased with those dates. I deliberately looked for something that wasn't Sat - Sat as didn't really want to spend either 'Eve' travelling.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
XPeak, Friday to Friday is an extra day's leave - I wouldn't consider it. I would consider 26th Dec - 31st Dec. My place has been booked by clients for Saturday to Satruday for weeks and I have noticed on the Tourist Information enquiries that many folk are looking for shorter breaks or the usual Sat to Sat (Austria)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have booked for 26th Dec - 2nd Jan, my work closes from Christmas to new year and forces me to take 3 days holiday so best way without having to take additional days, I could have done 24th-31st but prefer Christmas at home with the whole family.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saturday to Saturday has worked fine for me this year although it does mean having to take extra holiday to do 31st Dec to 7th to get the New Year in (I would only have had to take two day's leave if it was Boxing Day to Monday 2nd) - although like nollafb, I like to spend Christmas Day and Boxing Day with my family then head off to spend New Year skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We did 17-23 (6 nighter) 23-30 (7 nighter) and 30-07Jan (8 nighter) from the outset. May look messy but it's gone down very well - the fact that we focus on families may sway that; I suspect travelling on Xmas/NY Eve with kids is less appealing than for adult groups.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Work is closed from 24 to 2/1/12 inclusive. No one does much on the last day before christmas so I am doing 22/12/11 to 2/1/12. IIRC CIS Immobiler said they were also offering Sunday to Sunday.

John
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In the US, we tend to leave the dates more flexible, although I may end up regretting that a bit- Originally took a booking for Chalet Frisco for Dec 23-29, then received a request for 18-24 Dec that I had to put on hold. The original booking then switched to the 24th-30th (with thoughts of extending to the 31st) and the 2nd request booked elsewhere in the meantime.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
XPeak, we're still toying with the idea of going over Christmas/NY but the dates thing is making a bit more difficult than usual. We might go 16-23 as only 1 day bunked off school and not travelling on Christmas Eve (hopefully!) but our preferred option would be a 27th departure as I hate travelling Boxing Day, but there are not many of those around at all.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
XPeak, our returning New Year clients, in all 4 properties, have dictated our Christmas dates, to a large extent, for the past couple of years. We are doing 19 -26 December and 26/27 - 2/3 January for New Year. Seem very popular with now only Christmas and fully catered left and that due to a cancellation
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd have thought Mon 26 - Mon 2 is the obvious attractive week this year though really I think you're a bit late to be dicking around as most people with serious plans will probably have committed themselves - do you include the flights all-in?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I expect you will get different answers depending on whether people are singles/couples or families trying to fit around school hol dates. I will answer from the perspective of a family group.

We have sometimes skiied at New Year. However this year it was not tempting due to the way the school holiday falls. We would have ended up paying a peak price for New Year week but still have had to take the children out of school for a few days as term starts on Wed 4th Jan. Christmas week is a hassle in terms of taking presents. So the most tempting option would have been 16th to 23rd December assuming the price was lower than Christmas/New Year weeks. In the end we have opted to go skiing later in the season keeping fingers crossed that it will snow a lot more than this year.

Anniepen's suggested dates above sound a good idea if most people are flying for the holiday. However surely people doing self drive wouldn't want to depart on Christmas Day to arrive on boxing day? The other thing I was wondering is how will ski school work if families arrive on non standard days. Don't most schools only offer 6 days of lessons from Sunday?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We a group of 6 adults are doing 19-26 December as a way to maximise our time on the slopes and because we prefer the week before (and including) Christmas to ski (or board - boo) as it is generally cheaper and less crowded. For this reason we did not want to do 16-23 as it involves taking an extra days holiday and both require missing Christmas on the slopes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you all for all that valuable feedback. Could not have hoped for more. Very Happy We obviously get feedback from our clients too but then we have probably missed quite a few because we weren't offering what they were looking for and they just did not tell us. Will certainly try to get some new variations based on your suggestions although at this late stage not everything will be possible sadly as it risks leaving unacceptable holes in the availability. As fatbob says we can't be 'dicking around' too much at this late stage but that said there are still people out there who haven't committed yet. We are certainly not desperate ourselves but we are starting to get deals pushed our way from suppliers for that period so there is still a bit of availability out there and we are not tied to Sat flights.

One conclusion I have come to is that there is no fit for all solution and that the more different options we may come-up with, the more potential we will have to scrape a little more business.

May not come back to tell you guys everything we have come-up with as having benefited from cheap market research I don't want to push my luck at trying to get cheap advertising too wink That said if you are one of those still looking into booking something for that period you can always pm me and we will let you have some ideas. Sorry could not help it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
XPeak, We've booked DIY for the week 26/12 to 2/1 as we like to spend Christmas at home then have a weeks skiing over new year and be back for 3/1 when the kids go back to school. I cannot understand why TO's have bene offering 24/12 to 31/12 and 31/12 to 7/1 as this create two poorly timed weeks IMHO.

Still some people offering accommodation got the right idea with regarding timing over Christmas and New Year...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1764564&highlight=#1764564

XPeak, perhaps you could think about this a little earlier next year so that peeps can still get cheap flights on the optimum days?

Cheers, Pete
snow conditions
Cheers PeteMan, we took the view that the calendar was against us for one more season so we gave it a lot of consideration early last year and then we went along with what we thought would be the most workable schedule, like other much larger operators I guess. All we are trying to do now at this late stage is to offer a little more flexibility based on what's left so of course all the most popular accommodation has gone and the choice of what we are trying to offer with different arrival dates will be considerably more restricted but most people who book late tend to understand that.

snowymum made a very good point about ski schools. Most ski schools, in France anyhow will run their 6 day courses on the basis of what the most widely accepted arrival scheme is. This season it is an overwhelming Sat-Sat changeover, which means that most ski schools in France will run Sun-Fri 6 day courses only. Ski schools in larger resort do of course offer a bit more flexibility. Not everyone wants ski school though and private lessons are available for any start day.
snow conditions
we booked up about 8 weeks ago. 26-2 were the dates we ended up with and the only way we could do a week - based on the way resorts seem to have divided up their changeovers, and even through booking independently - though would have prefered to travel on the 27th-3rd.
ski holidays
PeteMan, once again, thank you wink Very Happy
ski holidays
We have guests arriving in the B&B on 24th, 26th, 27th, and 28th because like the old Access Card we are "your flexible friend".
28th only stay 2 nights so a room is still free for N/Y which is unusual by now. Still looking for more Christmas guests up to those dates though.
We have snowHead 's 15th to 20th and can do a cheap deal on those dates for more, snowHead 's only, take the gamble ?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy