Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What to take onto the slopes each day (list)

Poster: A snowHead
I should point out that carrying your insurance/ID/complete medical history around with you is a bit of a waste of time as no-one will look in your pockets or start asking about any of it until well after you get to the doctor/hospital/morgue. I had to retrieve Mr L's Carte Neige from the stinking binliner containing his minging boots and sweaty board gear when I picked it up from the medical centre three days after the accident. Even at that point no-one had actually asked for any of it.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Adrian wrote:
The printed and laminated card looks jolly good. I would suggest adding phone numbers for the piste rescue service(s) and for the local police of the resort or resorts.

Not much point in that - the local plod don't speak english and if the clients can speak italian then they will be able to get help anyway.
Best bet - as shown in our welcome pack - is to simply go to the top or bottom of any lift and seak help if needed.

Adrian wrote:

EHIC
piste map

Yep - good ideas, have added them to the list in the 1st post
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lizzard, depends where you are. If you're unconscious and medivaced in it'll probably fall in the sort out later bucket. If you're a hop-in or a bleed-in, in the US at least it can be mightily handy to have rung the insurers for pre clearance and instructed the admissions people to work directly with them when simple stitches can run $800+.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
wet wipes was a good one - forgot those

and after several mentions of credit & debit card - no one has actually mentioned folding ( MONEY)
even small kids should have 5-10 euros on them.

The card looks good - excellent idea to have all the numbers etc. and the address so you can point it out to a taxi driver if you cannot speak the lingo.

as there is a high chance of these being used by kids a note possibly as mentioned previously saying
" if you get lost go to the nearest manned ski lift and wait " or something similar.

also might be worth listing the nearest ski lift / piste to the accomodation so you know where to head back to.

The point re the insurance is that if you have the details on you then its easy if they are not then you just know you should have them.

might have to knock something up for when we go this year.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard, I had to spend quite a while explaining to the pisteurs that I had insurance through the company I worked for after I fractured a vertebra... Not what I wanted!!

Admittedly I had walked about 500m down the piste at this point, so they probably thought it wasn't that bad...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mobile phone with pics of:
- lift pass
- skis showing rental number
- and front of hotel if they're really as bad as you said Wayne,
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dippdydoodogg, what possible use could z picture of your lift pass be? Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard, To record the number in case you lose it?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rucksack to carry all the above in........ Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well if this lot are really as numpty as needing a list, may i suggest the following

A laminated postcard with useful phrases in italian or French on it, that could start a whole new thread about what phrases to have on it, here are a couple i thought of
1) Excuse me, i am a numpty English skier, where is the nearest toilet
2) Excuse me, i am a complete plum, two large beers please.
3) What do you mean you dont serve Boddingtons
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dr John wrote:
fatbob wrote:

Special gloves that still allow you to use your Iphone

Tried these on at the ski show. Nice gimmick. Then I clocked the £30 price tag, gave a little yelp, and put them back on the shelf.

My thin Decathlon bought liner gloves still allow iPhone usage. They only cost a couple of quid. Think it's more by luck than design though.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Emergency contact numbers (should you be found unconscious or worse)
Mobile phone with emergency numbers/contacts in
Keys to get back into car or accommodation
Spare or inner gloves
Zardoz Notwax Puk
Silk/thinsulate balaclava for use if you get caught suddenly very cold in a snowstorm
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx, the only thing that's going to get you a replacement pass is the paper receipt you were given when you bought it. I can't see any practical use for a photograph of either the receipt or the card.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Timbobaggins, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

When I steal that idea I shall be sure to credit you.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timbobaggins, well go on, get that thread started. Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
I always have chewing gum - to stop mouth getting dry.
latest report
pam w,

Will do, stand by
snow conditions
Done, i await useful phrases and translations with bated breath
latest report
Spare gloves, hat and glasses or goggles so that you have one pair of each.

Especially gloves, looking at the numbers on the snow under lifts!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are providing a guiding service, then a first aid kit, spare gloves and hat for the numpty that forgot.
ski holidays
OK, I'll bite

Easy skiing - Tranciver Shovel, Probe

Things looking a bit scary or unknown area then add - Avalung and/or airbag and skins

More difficult/interesting skiing - Rope, Harness, Belay device, Mechanical Prussic x2 Pulley x2, Sling x2 and at least 5 carabiners, ice screws, Ice axe, Crampons

If it's been windy out or hasn't snowed in a while add - ski crampons

Toofy Grin
snow report
Timbobaggins wrote:

3) What do you mean you dont serve Boddingtons

Shouldn't that be something like "what do you mean, €12 for a Guinness?"
snow report
Vast backpack plus possibly a couple of sherpas to carry all this crap.

Skiing on piste I carry:-

Wallet, containing money, debit card, lift pass reciept, insurance details
Piste map
Reading glasses
Lift pass
Small tube suncream.
Mobile phone

No spare clothrs/hat/gloves. No food, no drink, no wetwipes. Goggles/glasses selection is made before I set off. Maybe take a compact camera on a nice day.
snow report
Idris, that's what you'd recomment to one of Wayne's holiday punters intent on a week's piste skiing is it? rolling eyes
ski holidays
Agee with Spud9. More or less what I carry except I save weight by not taking a piste map or insurance details, or mobile phone, or suncream, but I do need the glasses for reading menus, but then I spoil it all by carrying a hankerchief.

However, I am suprised that no one takes a leatherman or similar with them. They are much more frequently used than insurance documents. Over the years my party has required piste assistance 4 times and noone has ever asked to see our insurance details - not even the doctors. Whereas repairing bindings, ski brakes etc seems to be required every couply of years

But then again I like Idris' load. I notice that he/she does not take a map, compass or altimeter. Or, indeed, a helmet (proper montaineering one, not a skiing one).

John
snow report
Idris wrote:
OK, I'll bite

Easy skiing - Tranciver Shovel, Probe

Things looking a bit scary or unknown area then add - Avalung and/or airbag and skins

More difficult/interesting skiing - Rope, Harness, Belay device, Mechanical Prussic x2 Pulley x2, Sling x2 and at least 5 carabiners, ice screws, Ice axe, Crampons

If it's been windy out or hasn't snowed in a while add - ski crampons

Toofy Grin

If you own an airbag I can't see why you would take a shovel, probe and transceiver and yet not take the airbag. If there's avalanche risk why not take it?
snow report
An emergency contact number stored in your phone
snow report
like i said on other thread - firearm of choice (glock held sideways gangsta vibe for me), for backcountry US or Canada (or Xscape Glesga)

an often neglected bit of simple, cheap but potentially priceless kit is a whistle, where you can get at it (clipped on a pack or jacket zip etc.)
latest report
barry wrote:
an often neglected bit of simple, cheap but potentially priceless kit is a whistle

My oldest lad used to take a harmonica with him skiing which did get pretty irritating on the long journey up to Aviemore but one warm spring day managed to keep a tune going from the Ptarmigan all the way down to the Cas car park at Cairngorm. Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy