Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Scotland? Try this!

Poster: A snowHead
Click on
http://youtube.com/v/70OcPt3lnLE
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cool.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fantastic, outstanding why it's great to LIVE IN sCOTLAND
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What a geat little movie.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Loved it! So that it doesn't get lost in the forum ether, this should so be posted in the Post stoke! thread.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Heres hoping to another brilliant season in Scotland. Peeps dont know what their missing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeeeeha Very Happy
Great stuff (two of my friends in there).
I hope we ski a few of those slopes in March during the Snowheads Scottish meet Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Definately up for that - If I can find a few snow buddies further north I would be interested in skiing those anytime there's decent snow cover from now into the new year.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wonderful film
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Awesome film, and the snow looks incredible in some of those shots.
Though definitely NOT in the clip where it got all a bit messy. Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Realy a nice video Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My, that was good
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ledge, are you interested in exploring some of that off piste on the Scottish week-end? Do you reckon you might do a day at Nevis Range with me?

If I reckon I can get away with a weekend up there before March I'll let you know. Do you need to plan well in advance or can you respond to snow situation?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ledge, snowball & give me a shout too Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball, yes I can be up there in 5 hours providing I can get over Sutra. I am definately up for off piste and anything else with a bit of a challenge. Roga you were already on the list Smile as I thought you may be up in that neck of the woods.

I would like to ski here -
http://youtube.com/v/pJPRfF-5RnA

Here http://youtube.com/user/TheKevneal#p/u/1/35aoq_S378M

and maybe here if I am feeling very brave http://youtube.com/user/TheKevneal#p/a/u/0/YcPvRNTwi08
This dude bought my thunders so I am hoping optimistically for a bit of a guided tour.
ski holidays
Yes to all those but perhaps we would be lucky to find snow down amoung the trees in late March. I've never done Aladdins but have an ambition to (if I can find it).
The second film was the main Nevis back bowl which is not quite off piste but not groomed either. Spikes and possibly Easy Gully if the entry isn't too difficult were both on the main film and things I'd like to do again at Nevis.

roga, you were already on my list to ski with.

What was the gully at 1.40 - 2.10? Was that close to Aladdins? And where was the big gully at, for example, 4.15?
ski holidays
Amazing video ; thanks a lot for linking Smile 10/10
snow report
Ideally id like to visit as soon as there is snow on the ground (pre-xmas) and then as often as I can in Jan and Feb. Very happy to ski with anyone who's likely to be in the area. Will have the mrs and friends up for some weekends on the groomers, but need some exciting stuff too.

Would love to ski real powder - ideally through those trees. But will settle for anything.
ski holidays
snowball, the gully at 1.40-2.10 is Jacob's Ladder (http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=2343) its skiers right of Aladdin's by quite a bit. Aladdin's is pretty easy to find from the top, if you follow the corrie rim from the ski area past the highest point it's a little down the slope there with a pretty easy to spot pinnacle. The scariest bit is the initial entry which if 'done properly' is the steepest bit were a slip would send you down over the cliffs/Aladdin's Mirror Direct but you can make this quite a bit easier by coming in from the side by the pinnacle which makes it a traverse across into the 'safer' part. Otherwise it's very straightforward and apart from when in dodgy condition was my standard route back off the plateau.

Here's a picture of Aladdin's from Fiacall Ridge:
http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/displayimage.php?photo_id=15322
snow conditions
snowball/ledge, glad I'm on your lists guys Toofy Grin

snowball, I think meh has answered the question - haven't skied it but thought I recognised Coire an t-Sneachda. It's very easy to get in there from the ski area via various routes and very easy to get back to the ski area from Sneachda too given it's the next coire along from the Cas.
snow conditions
Glad you guys like the film, thanks for putting the link up on here handyman. Everyone can please feel free to spread the link around friends as they wish to further promote the good times on offer in the homeland snowHead

I've already started planning various trips for next winter which should form the basis for a new film. Stoked to get out there and get started - may take a year or two for what I've got planned though wink

Awrabest folks,
Jamie.
ski holidays
meh wrote:
The scariest bit is the initial entry which if 'done properly' is the steepest bit were a slip would send you down over the cliffs/Aladdin's Mirror Direct but you can make this quite a bit easier by coming in from the side by the pinnacle which makes it a traverse across into the 'safer' part.

Hmm. I'll decide when I see it but I think I may do the traverse.
This conveys the steepness of the entry to Jacobs Ladder well
http://youtube.com/v/eStkMsXhw1k
Are there other ways down that bowl other than Aladdins and Jacob's Ladder?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 10-11-11 14:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
snowball, yeah loads, quite a bit of the ground is skiable, depending on conditions, as you can see from the photo of Aladdin's! The easiest descents are either to come down the wall of the corrie before it gets too steep from Fiacall Ridge or to wander round further to a descent that's called The Goat Track or 0.5 Gully (as in half of grade I) which has a path going up it in the summer. Basically you carry on down from the high point until you get into the saddle between that and the next rise towards Coire an Lochan. It's still quite steep but nothing on the gullies themselves.

Hopefully this map works, I bunged the arrow on The Goat Track and a couple of gullies including Aladdin's are marked on the 1:25000 OS map:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=299115&y=802824&z=115&sv=299115,802824&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=555&ax=299115&ay=802824&lm=0
latest report
snowball wrote:

Yes you can drop in down the easier goat track to the west, or down from windy coll to the east. Both of these are fairly straightforward open 30degish slopes.
snow report
I've also got my names mixed up and the feature I'm calling Fiacall Ridge above is Fiacaill a' Choire Chais on the OS Map. Fiacall Ridge is a scramble up the next ridge over separating Coire an Lochain and Coire an Sneachda. Smile
snow conditions
Thanks, all very useful. I know the Nevis back corries but I don't know Cairngorm's. My day at Cairgorm on the Snowheads bash last year I couldn't find anyone who wanted to explore that bowl with me and I only had a 1:50,000 map. I must get the 1:25,000.
snow report
firstracks, hope you'll find the time to make some more films of your exploits too - you're inspiring people with this one already Toofy Grin
snow conditions
It's all quite obvious when you're in the corrie. Last year with some friends we climbed up the Goat Track, skied down Aladdin's then climbed up Jacob's then skied down Jacob's then skinned up the slope to the NE (skier's right) of Jacob's back up towards point 1141 and then skied down into the ski area.

I'm not sure of the "traverse" described above to get into Aladdin’s; you just ski straight down into the gully. It doesn't feel very steep when you're in it (entry is, as ever, cornice dependant) and the “steep” section at the bottom had banked out.

Jacob’s is a more intimidating entrance. I skied over the cornice trailing a rope (I know, I should man up) but it was fine, if a little scary. Once you’re established, it’s a fun ski.

This is the entrance to Jacob’s with some tool pointing at it:

DSCF2415

This is the corrie in general (plenty of lines to go at):

DSCF2406

Walking up the Goat Track (we traversed into it):

DSCF2408

Two goons with a decent view of Aladdin’s behind (It’s the gully between them):

DSCF2419
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
galpinos, the traverse I mention is basically entering from the far left of Aladdin's. It lets you drop in and slide over into the gully proper without having to put any turns in above the entrance to Aladdin's Mirror. It's really short but cuts down on making turns if exposure isn't your thing. If you start further right then it's a higher, steeper and more corniced in my experience giving a couple of lively turns (more so if there is some rock poking through) before getting into the gully proper.

This photo from Jamie's website shows the 'middle' pretty well and you can see tracks leading in from the 'top':
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=8978&g2_serialNumber=1

What it looks like from the the wander in (occasionally):
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=8980&g2_serialNumber=1
ski holidays
Ah, i see what you mean. It wasn't that full of snow when we skied it, it felt a lot more gully-like.

On the map comment above, the Harvey's 1:40k are excellent if you can get your head round the funny scale (ideal if you like mountain marathons) and a climbing guide makes it very easy to identify routes up and down. Scottish Winter Climbs is a good general guide to all the major locations.

I'm now dreaming of a powder run down to Loch Avon, a romp up Hell's Lum then a descent of Castlegate's and a final ski back up the ski area. A plan for this winter!
ski holidays
scottishskier wrote:
snowball wrote:

Yes you can drop in down the easier goat track to the west, or down from windy coll to the east. Both of these are fairly straightforward open 30degish slopes.

Standing on the windy col before skiing into Sneachda in April ... http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/displaypic.php?id=18952,2710#start

Windy Col (on the left hand side of next photo) catches enough sunshine to make its snow forgiving (or icy early on) whereas Goat Track (on the right hand side) is in the shade for months on end ... http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/displaypic.php?id=18947,2710#start
latest report
meh actually the steep way looks OK
moffatross, Now that's the broad picture I was looking for.
snow conditions
snowball, yeah it's really not too bad unless there's a big cornice. Aladdin's is only 37 degrees on average according to Ski-Mountaineering in Scotland. What you can't see is the entrance into Aladdin's Mirror which adds a bit of perspective to things if you fall and can't stop yourself you're going over this (skier starts in the initial part of Aladdin's):

http://youtube.com/v/YcPvRNTwi08
latest report
37º isn't so much but if there are easier bits, a 37º average could be very steep indeed in parts.
snow report
^ As ever with off piste skiing it depends on the conditions - and patiently waiting for the right time.
Much of the time these runs are unskiable for one reason or another (cornice, ice, broken rocky sections, avalanche)
But if your lucky and find them in good condition they can be fantastic and very achievable for decent skiers.
Jacobs is steep, but once banked out becomes do-able. Alladins is perhaps technically easier but more exposed for the first few turns.

With good snow they will get skied lots, sometimes even moguls!
Other winters they never really come into condition. You get the idea Little Angel
snow report
snowball, glad to hear you are planning such adventures....
snow report
Jamie now getting some play on unofficial

http://unofficialnetworks.com/couloir-skiing-scotland-unofficial-skiing-scotland-52912/

Who sez ski websites don't just recycle the same content? Nice to be reminded of the Jon Symms piece on the epicentre of Scottish skiing The Doo Below.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy