Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

knee protection

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a 'decent' knee protector; a couple of the pro-tec range look quite good ( IPS & Gravity) but struggling to find recommendations for 'any' brand of knee protection.
Thanks in advance
Mitch
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I got the 661 Kyle Straits for MTB this year and they're pretty comfy. Not too bulky either. Get good reviews on the biking forums.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Was going to mention Kyle Straits myself (I'm a full-time MTB guide in the summer and that's what I use).

TBH though, it's never entered my head to use knee protection when snowboarding and as an instructor I can't even see myself recommending them to beginners. I know plenty of people with knee injuries from twisting, etc. when snowboarding, but can't think of anyone who's had a significant injury just from impact.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jeez Steve I think you stole my life. Could have done with with full suit of armour on my first two trips. I'm guessing knee and elbow pads would be of use in the park and pipe? I prefere my snow soft and deep however.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Would be handy for rails and such-like I guess, I'm a bit old for that to appeal! For kickers/pipe I'd go with helmet and even bum-pad first!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have sampled various knee pads for MTBing, and nothing beats 661s, in my view. Use the Evo ones myself, but if you don't fancy splashing the cash for the fancy (and super comfy) D3O padding, Kyle Straits are just fine.

I never used knee pads for snowboarding to begin with, but something odd has happened to my knees from minor impacts over the years, and I now struggle just to kneel down without them. Still don't use any other armour (except a helmet). Maybe I'll regret that in time......
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I bought volley-ball knee pads from Decathlon. Not the bottom of the range ones but the "luxurious"£14.99 ones.

Impressively comfortable and effective..

Edit: I should add that I had to try a few in store to find the right size, as they are quite tight to start with..
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ive got the 661 evo knee pads and i think they are great.. really comfy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for the 661 pads here.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
try these out link I swear by them
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I recently brought some 661 Kyle Straits but wished i'd brought the large rather then xl . Great otherwise . Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yet another vote for 661 Kyle Starits - I use them on the board AND on the MTB - good level of protection without being too bulky. I'm rarely without mine...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stevomcd, really? I'd never ride without them. I had a hard ding on the knee a few years back catching an edge on ice. I still managed to board the rest of the holiday but the knee was big and bruised for ages. Since I started wearing them, I find they give me extra options if i ever start to lose it and need to bail - it means you can fall forward and drive your knees into the snow a bit like skateboarders do.

As for model/make i have a few pairs and doubt it makes any difference. My current pair are soft cushioning with a hard plastic outer which beefs them up a bit.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm in stevomcd's camp on this one - never collected a knee bruise much bigger than a 10p piece myself -- Thumbs, yes - back bottom like a baboons, yes. But knees, nope. Each to their own I guess.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
*Long post deleted as too drunk to trust myself not to be insulting*

Seriously, no knee pads. Justifiable maybe on your first day or two, but after that?
ski holidays
I always wear mine. Couple of seasons ago I was out on piste not long after the resort was opened. Was very icy, I caught an edge and resulted in my back knee slamming in to the ice. Ballooned up massively and had a bruise all over it that spread down my shin. Still have a numb patch on my knee almost 2 years later.
snow report
stevomcd wrote:
*Long post deleted as too drunk to trust myself not to be insulting*

Seriously, no knee pads. Justifiable maybe on your first day or two, but after that?

After that: it's like a helmet, you'll hopefully never need it but you'll be glad to have it on that one crash where your head hit something hard..
Not saying knee pads are as important as a helmet, but if you can find cheap/comfortable ones, why not wear them. Most of us still haven't reached the snowboard god status so have to face the reality that we might catch an edge every so often... Knee pads can save us a lot of pain and they make kneeling on the snow while waiting for a mate much more comfortable.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the input everyone; very interesting insight on the should have them vrs not required argument. Still, have banged my knee hard when I used to skate & really wouldnt want to take a high speed impact on a hard surface again so will definately get some.
Also, dont they help with all that 'waiting' around on your knees that boarders seem to do ( usually right across the piste in numbers for some reason Puzzled ) when being observed as a skier?!?!
snow conditions
Injured my knee last year in verbier and did more damage on MTB in Ballyhoura this autumn. Trying everything to make sure knee is fit for trip to alagna on 6th jan. To this end used knee support on bad knee, also purchased Diezz knee pads in shop called Absolute (avoriaz) and tried them out today. Would agree with previous posts.... Makes a massive difference when kneeling on piste etc. Didn't feel a thing. Only used the pads for 3 hours but initial views are good. Will def wear them again.

They cost €30. Are sleeve design. I.e. you put you foot through and slide up to knee. There is also Velcro straps to hold in place. The cost, sleeve design and fact that there is a hard shaped knee pad made me choose these over pro tec and dainese.
snow report
another 661 Kyle Starits +1 for me all day long. Use em for mountain biking and boarding and hardly realise their on, and for £32 at the mo you cant go wrong with em.
snow conditions
Settled on the 661 Kyle Straits; well p-leased with them, they are comfy & 'appear' to be very good quality.
Thanks for all you help.
Mitch
ski holidays
Glad you got sorted Mitch, could you please post a review after you have used them, I'm interested in getting some too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy