Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a resort in easy reach of Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As a group of 5/6 blokes, we are looking for some recommendations for a resort within easy reach of Geneva airport (1-1.5 hours) for a short break. For the last 5 years we have gone to Morzine/Avoriaz so looking for a change of piste.
We usually fly out from the UK very early Saturday morning in February and ski Saturday afternoon, returning home late the following Wednesday (4 nights) and like to stay in hosted/catered chalets.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jazzhands, There are any number of suitable properties in the Grand Massif resorts (Samoens, Morillon, Les Carroz - don't know about Flaine), or perhaps St Gervais - all within a short drive of GVA and offering great skiing. When in February though? You'll need to make it the first week to stand a decent chance of finding properties able to accommodate you on a short break, as the HT weeks commence on 11/2 and carry on until second week of March. PM me if you'd like some contacts for chalets you can try
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the replies, will definitely check those resorts out. We definitely be avoiding UK half term, and ideally the French holidays too which I understand run for about 3 weeks over the same period.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
i'm quite interested in this thread, because i arranged a similar lads trip last year to Avoriaz which was brilliant, but i found this year that we couldn't get accommodation in avoriaz on a short term basis. I wonder if people are heading higher this year on account of some varied conditions in Morzine last year (when we were there at least - maybe it was better at other times in the season).

So when we found that avoriaz wasn't going to work, i started looking for other option near to GVA. Chatel seemed like a possibility, since it isn't much further to drive and still links into PdS, but again accommodation was a problem. Other decent sized terrains seemed too far away from GVA for us to maximize slope time (our flight would have arrived in GVA at 12pm and we were keen to get as much of an afternoon as possible). In the end i gave up trying and went for Andorra instead where accommodation is dead easy (if a little basic, but come on it's a lads trip, we don't need jacuzzis). As an added bonus the flights work out so well for Barcelona that for a Thursday to Monday trip we will get 4 full days and one long 1/2 day on the slopes.

I'll certainly be interested to see how you get on with other resorts jazzhands, good luck
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers monkey, I would necessarily write off Morzine if you enjoyed it. Last 2 years we stayed with www.cornishsnow.co.uk and prior to that with www.simply-morzine.co.uk Both offered great service and hospitality and got us to the lifts every day where we skied Avoriaz.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree with Anniepen on the Grand Massif then. Flaine or any of the villages like Les Carroz, Samoens, Morillon are definitely worth checking out. Great ski area, good snow record and good value for money. We don't do catered chalets ourselves but you have a choice of single chalet operations or a few larger operators in Flaine.

If you want to go back to Morzine you may also want to try Ski Morzine who are very good.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Champery on the Swiss side of the PdS. Train direct from airport with one change onto the AOMC train and direct straight up the mountain to centre of village! Can also give you couple o good accom links!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 for Grand Massif (I suspect it will be easier to get accommodation out of Flaine itself) or St Gervais / Megeve. If you're good skiers then I personally wouldn't rule out Chamonix as long as you understand the (plus and) minus sides of Chamonix.

Chamonix seems to have the benefit of lots of short term accommodation.

The place I'd stay is www.ligloo.com in Megeve. It's at the top of the Princess lift. Fresh tracks every morning!

monkey, I thought that it was always harder to get short term accommodation in Avoriaz?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Except that l'igloo was closed last season and I think will be again this season.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Except that l'igloo was closed last season and I think will be again this season.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jazzhands, with all the school hols french and english into account you probably want to avoid from Feb 11 to March 10th. Like others have said, I would look at Grand Massif (Les Carroz, Samoens or Flaine) or St Gervais/Megeve. Chamonix always an obvious choice. Take a peek at La Clusaz/Grand Bornand under 1 hour too. There is a comparison of resorts near geneva on mountain passions: http://www.mountainpassions.com/winter_ski/winter_activities/ski-weekender-promo.html

cheers
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Personally, I love the GM ski area... The only thing I would worn is that if you are looking for similar nightlife to Morzine then you will not find it in of the GM villages... There a re a couple of bars in samoens (Coveys is worth a visit) and Le Bon Coin by the lift in Morillon is ok... but apart form that there is not much else to brag about... The skiing/riding is awesome here though... The area generally has a good snow record, but don't be in a hurry to head straight up to Flaine... Esp if the snow has been bad... too many folk do this causing mayhem on the slopes... The surrounding villages (esp. Les Carroz) will still have exceptional piste quality and often deserted because of the exodus to Flaine...

I based myself in Chamonix last yr for a week, and if you are with car then I would def recommend going there... Within half hour drive you have all of the Cham Valley, Courmayeur, Les Houches, St Gervais/Megeve and Les Comtamines (which I love)...

Hope you have fun buddy...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy