Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What Skis should i buy.....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I can't decide weather to get a more Piste orientated ski (looking at a Salomon RX800) or something like the Atomic Theory.

I like the idea of being able to do more off piste and varied terrain on the Theory but i don't want them to be to slow on piste when i go with the lads who spend most of their time on piste flat out.

Has anyone skied the Theory? I tried the Salomon 2012 at Manchester yesterday, the Volkel RTM 80 and the Fischer Watea 94.

The Fischer felt fast and stable I liked them but are a bit more money than I wanted to spend the 2012's felt fun but less stable and not as quick.

I'm going to go to Castleford today and see if they have the Theory in their demo pool and try and make my mind up!

Anyone any thoughts or comments?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi there just a quick thought, have you considered the saloman lords? Used to have a pair a few seasons back and they were great for everyting. They could be made to rip on piste and were capable of venturing off piste. Can easily pick up up pair of salmoan lords with bindings for a good price.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
j4meseaton,

Are the RX800's not an All mountian too? If you spend most of your time on piste then get a piste ski would be my advice. What sort of prices are you getting? A quick google showed around the £400 mark? From the info I assume you're at the intermediate level or looking to advance into that sort of ability? I'm always sceptical about skis that claim to be the perfect all rounder-as many do.

Best bit of advice I would give to someone is being honest about your ability, there's a big difference between skiing 'off-piste' and skiing off piste if that makes any sense? I.e. leaving the piste yourself and jumping back on is a bit different to getting a guide and them showing you what the real off piste is in that resort. It's natural for most skiers to want to aspire to that sort of level but it takes time and money. IMO to get into the off piste, if you're not there already my advice is to ski bumps and find mogul fields this will help you adapt and be more dynamic in off piste terrain.

TBH a good skier can ski a piste ski off piste and vice versa. Even piste skis these days are getting fatter in the waist so if I were you I'd go for a piste ski. I've been looking at the Head Supershape Titan and they can be had with bindings for around the £500 mark-maybe a bit much for you I'm not sure.

If you have to limited yourself to one pair of skis you can always rent for a day if you turn up to glorious powder and get better at the off piste stuff. Last year I went away 4 times and never had any good amount of powder, carted my off piste skis with me eveytime and only used them once, this has happened in previous years too.

If you're a solid intermediate I'd get something you can grow into, have a look at the Dynastar Sultan 85s as an all mountain they get rave reviews. What height, weight are you and what length have you been looking at?

I'm not saying that All Mountians are rubbish just from the info you've given is what I've based my reply. Assuming they are around the £400 mark it depends if that's allot or a little money to you? If it's allot then I'd cosider trying a few pairs and the ones you like when abroad. You can sort of get a feel for skis in a fridge, but there's no bumps or off piste so how do you know how they'll handle if theat's what you're wanting them for? I don't claim to know everything ski and their are some very knowledgeable folk on SH that really know there stuff. I guess the best you can hope for is to find someone who has the same?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Theory in comparison to Lord, no comparison; for a strong skier the Theory having owned both is the better of the two at everything.

However if mostly piste but more than some off, then the Salomon Tornado type series are better for the hooning end.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Guys,

Thanks very much for your input. Skied the Theory and Lords at Castleford today - both "felt" better than what I tried yesterday.

"Felt" I know is not a technical term, but based on how I enjoyed them, with that in mind i'm 100% sure i'm going to get either the Lords or Theory and 60 / 40 towards Theory at the mo.

Hopefully i'll make the right choice, otherwise look out in the classifieds section on the 4th of Jan when I get back from Whistler - there could be some nearly new Atomic Theory or Salomon Lords for sale Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cynic,
Cynic

I know that you seems to love better the Theory than the Lord, but if I'm looking for a ski that is good for the glades, bumps and make tight turns...quick for direction change...would you have a preference?

By the way...I haven't tried the Theory yet...they are very hard to find... Have they a softer or harder flex than the Lord?

Thx !
-G
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

on piste when i go with the lads who spend most of their time on piste flat out.

j4meseaton, You will have more fun on the RX800 or perhaps the next model up on and around the piste as opposed to the Lords.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pastadental, The Theory is better at changing direction and is more consistent and is stiffer and lighter than the Lord. However I do not own either and would go for a Mission if looking at mid fat skis as it is a far better piste ski. Overall I would go fatter if all you want to do really is ski off-piste and cruise on-piste if it has not snowed for a while.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When I was researching this I found the Lords are meant to be a bit on the soft side - in fact the blurb describes them as good for intermediate or lighter advanced skiers (or words to that effect). Never actually skiied them though.

I ended up with Whitedot Ones, which are in the same kind of width category and fairly stiff (and awesome).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I tested the lords in the fridge last year, wasn't impressed, felt a bit lifeless and unresponsive to me and I def fit the category its supposed to cater for, as bobmcstuff, described.

Get a piste ski or 80 mm ish all mountain.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
^^^^^^ + 1
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
j4meseaton, I went through the same thought process as you and bought the Theorys after riding Missions and Volkl Bridges. I find them much better on piste than the Missions (opposite experience of Cynic) with good grip and stability and an 18m turn radius. They just feel like I can go anywhere in them and are perfect for just hopping on and off the piste if that is where you are at. Just great fun. If they make you smile, buy them.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy