Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet in hand luggage with Easyjet?

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone tell me whether I can take my helmet as hand luggage when flying with Easyjet? (Flying to Geneva).

Normally it would go in my ski bag but I've decided to leave my skis at home and hire something different when I go to Tignes in December. I hope to take my helmet on the flight rather than use up precious space in my boot bag.

Fingers crossed I can Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No problem, as long as the bag fits in the gauge.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bluebell, a couple of seasons ago, my lad and a number of others were flown back at the end of the season by the company they were working for, most of the guys, wore there ski suits, helmets and whatever they could get on to save weight in their luggage Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bluebell, Doesn't it depend on the airport, more than the carrier?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bluebell, Deffo OK in handluggage, but nmake sure it goes in the guage as above
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Can't you just wear it NehNeh ... a warm hat
Tell them you suffer from 'weak skull syndrome' and a knock on the head can kill you, so you have to wear a helmet all the time Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dr John wrote:
Bluebell, Doesn't it depend on the airport, more than the carrier?

I belive this to be the case too! Heard a lot of success (mainly off here), however, at East Midland saw a group get turned around and told to go back to check-in just after passport control (at the xray scanner/body check)! They did have them clipped onto the outside of there already large hand luggage though!!

Don't think there is a definitive answer to this one! Confused
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Don't think there is a definitive answer to this one!

Yes there is. Put it IN your bag and as long as your hand luggage fits the gauge, there will be no problem.

I have never heard of helmets being considered a security risk, but if you have them dangling on the outside of your bag it's unlikely that the bag will fit through the gauge so you run the risk of getting turned back.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Flew from Luton and EMA with Queasy Jet with my lid in hand luggage no problem. They might change the rules next week to make it more expensive and a more miserable experience though. Skullie
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Steve Sparks wrote:
Quote:

Don't think there is a definitive answer to this one!

Yes there is. Put it IN your bag and as long as your hand luggage fits the gauge, there will be no problem.

Does this apply for ski boots too?

...lights touch-paper and runs!! wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Put helmet on your head, (take it off to walk through the scanner) - hang your ski boots round your neck (also take them off at the scanner) - works anywhere any airline.

If challenged with the ski boots explain to them firmly that you have weird feet so can't use rental boots and you can't trust that checked baggage will arrive on time (or at all)

One friend has once had a problem with this - transiting though Kansas city - problem was easily solved - remove trainers, force them into hand luggage, don ski boots, clunk onto plane.

I've flown Easyjet and Ryanair - flown Geneva - Amsterdam - Tokyo - Hokkido with my boots and helmet with me - no problem
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you everyone for your replies.

I will take it on board with me in a bag that fits into the gauge.

Normally we pack lots into our double ski bag but are leaving it at home this time to hire something different. I loathe the 1 bag per person rule because, despite being economical packers when we go skiing, we still have 3 bags between us. 1 dolly trolly, and 2 boot bags so I've had to purchase an extra bag. All combined they still come under the weight allowed.

I'm sure if I used Easyjet lots then there are far more cunning ways of getting all your luggage on without buying an extra bag, but I don't want the worry of hassle when checking in for a dawn flight at Gatwick.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

hang your ski boots round your neck - works anywhere any airline.

...really? with Ryanair? I'm not doubting you but I am AMAZED you got away with that.

I used to carry my boot bag as hand luggage, with other bits (book, sandwich, passport) etc as well. Those stupid arbitrary gauges (which i notice are slightly different for each airline) put paid to that.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is there not something that is printed on their web page regarding this type of thing. You could then print that off and take it with you in case there are any problems
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sanman wrote:
Quote:

hang your ski boots round your neck - works anywhere any airline.

...really? with Ryanair? I'm not doubting you but I am AMAZED you got away with that.

I used to carry my boot bag as hand luggage, with other bits (book, sandwich, passport) etc as well. Those stupid arbitrary gauges (which i notice are slightly different for each airline) put paid to that.

You don't wear your helmet or have your boots round your neck at check-in - security aren't bothered and then it's too late too argue Wink
snow report
Steve Sparks, Nope! Grenoble security last season were taking helmets out of cabin bags and making you check them into hold bags. But I'm told about halfway through the season they didn't bother!
ski holidays
boredsurfin, Was going to ask about Grenoble.
Can anyone confirm they aren't bothered now as I'd hate to trust my helmet after its being looked after by the airport bag chuckers!
ski holidays
I've been told the official word from EasyJet is if the helmet is carried in my hand then it counts as an additional piece of baggage to be paid for. If on my head or fitted into my hand luggage then this is fine!

On my head it goes then Very Happy
snow conditions
davkt, Bluebell, Airport security cannot be told what to do by an airline/Easyjet hence Grenoble making you take helmets out of cabin bags for a while.
On the subject of Grenoble the future of commercial airlines landing there is uncertain. see this article in the local paper, Google translate makes a reasonable job of converting to Franglais!
http://www.ledauphine.com/isere-sud/2011/10/29/quel-avenir-pour
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy