Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chosing length with ROCKER

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Oh yes, all the people speaking about Rocker, early rise tip, etc etc etc.

But for me, that I was totally out the past season, and never try a rocker ski, now I feel a little stupid asking me if the length of a rocker ski is the same than before with "normal" camber.

Indeed, I'm looking skis like Faction Alias or K2 coomback for touring, mounted with Dynafits. Now I'm skiing in 93mm underfoot traditional camber 179cm long (G3 Reverend).....so how they compare between alias in 179??? Or K2 in 181cm?? How do you feel the rocker when skinning up??
And for more "traditional" aproach, like skiing couloirs in variable conditions, long traverses, flats, etc etc is really helpful to have rocker?

And then, I'm also looking a new pair of skis for these lift-served days (basically powdays or spring conditions, aka "soft conditions") like Faction Thirteen, K2 sidestash, or movement trust. Yes thirteen's are 194cm long, but it have a 300m rocker!! For these situations now I'm skiing in a Fischer Watea 192cm long , so it means that despite the Factions are 2cm long they feel short??? They will be more "easy" to turn??

Thanks....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Short answer is yes -rocker makes skis run shorter in harder conditions. Obviously tail rocker or kick is an important variable too when considering effective edge. Best to try to get contact point and effective edge measurements for what you're considering and compare. For "sub-optimal" European conditions I'd guess the jury's still out a bit on whether rocker is a game changer, personally I'd say yes if it means I've got more chance of riding out some crud or less chance of hooking a tip in a tight space but I know some people are very exacting in the "feel" of their skis. Best asking livetoski about the Movements.

I'd probably get half pregnant if I were you and get a soft snow rocker ski then see how I felt about extending rocker to my touring set up when I'd experienced the performance spectrum.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AlTom, fatbob,
Quote:

Best asking livetoski about the Movements.

The Movement Trust has tip rocker only, the tails are pretty flat and also squared off making them easier to skin up on! There are some pics of the tip rocker on my reviews on Snowshepherd.co.uk

The Trust is a very strong stiffish ski, huge amount of charging ability with a super feel on piste as well, they are new this season and many of us who have had the chance to ski them have fallen in love almost straight away. As they have promise to be a classic Movement ski that can tour, charge handle off piste and on piste, couloirs and crud.

They have to be skied rather than going along for the ride like some full rocker skis. Sizes are 186 and 194 with 141x108x129 the ski does not feel anyting like the underfoot size but the tips do engage early so ski length can be 186 if your looking for a pure off piste ski then go longer on the 194.

Hope that helps, I am not much help on the other skis as I have not skied them
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just picked up a pair of Atomic Charters at 176 as a piece of touring kit, pretty short especially with the tip rocker.

My theory is touring puts you on unknown variable terrain far more often so i wanted something more nimble and forgiving for when i get scared or need to manouver my way out of a steep stupid place. still got the 193 Scott pures for lift fed powder. Most of the scarily good skiers i spoke to maintained tip rocker is not needed over here, though not all, the big huckers are generally fans.

Looked at the Coomback but reviews have them as being a bit too soft for an all-rounder in european conditions the sidestash/hardside/sideshow in 181 with tip rocker seemed more European fitting (they're just F'ugly in my humble opinion). The Volkl Nanuq also looked interestng (and pretty), as were the jackals from movement (just came out far more expesive).

just my thought train for the last few days before ordering for what its worth.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hola AlTom, the 13s don't feel short, or easy to turn. The rocker is a little more early rise than say a Hell Bent or something like that.

I skied the Alias, that might be the perfect balance for you in a 188. Post if you have more specific questions!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
parlor wrote:
hola AlTom, the 13s don't feel short, or easy to turn. The rocker is a little more early rise than say a Hell Bent or something like that.

I skied the Alias, that might be the perfect balance for you in a 188. Post if you have more specific questions!

Hey parlor!!

Are you saying that will be better for me Alias than 13s, or are you saying that will be better Alias 188 than Alias 179??

¿?¿188cm seems long for touring!¿?¿ But the "running" lenght with rocker seems pretty similar than a 180cm traditional camber ski. I also read about "new" agent STP that is far light!!! 3,5kg for a pair of 188 sounds nice!! Now my 177cm reverends (93waist) are 3,7kgs!!! What do you think about it??

Maybe not changing my quiver at all....maybe new brother sounds better. Agent100STP with dynafits could be funny, and reserve the "little" Reverend for skiing couloirs or "hard" days.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AlTom, the 13 is a very big, very bad child killing machine. I don't know the Movement Trust. I would not compare the Sidestash and the 13. The 13 is great for going straight in soft snow. If it's 'soft only' I would consider something more playful like the 3.Zero.

I mixed up the Agent Pro & Alias. The Agent Pro would be the touring ski that I recommend.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy