Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Free snow socks

Poster: A snowHead
Just have a winter service at your local Vauxhall dealer.
(Vauxhalls only)
and get a pair of socks free
http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/owners_services/winter-offers/snow-socks.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I checked the link and it says that "AutoSock snow socks are a great, easy to use alternative to snow chains and winter tyres" - what rubbish. Whilst they may help a bit driving on snow they are not as good as proper chains, and if you use them on tarmac you'll rip them to shreds. They cannot be classed as an alternative to winter tyres. Vauxhall should be ashamed of themselves, and advertising standards should have a word with them - advice like this could kill someone Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I checked the link and it says that "AutoSock snow socks are a great, easy to use alternative to snow chains and winter tyres" - what rubbish. Whilst they may help a bit driving on snow they are not as good as proper chains, and if you use them on tarmac you'll rip them to shreds. They cannot be classed as an alternative to winter tyres. Vauxhall should be ashamed of themselves, and advertising standards should have a word with them - advice like this could kill someone

Have you actually used them? based on our experience of snow socks getting us through some serious snow, I doubt it. We pulled over to fit them in France, next to some guy that had already stopped and was holding up one of his chains as we stopped, we were fully fitted and drove away before he had even one chain on. we have done some miles on tarmac and they are still in one piece.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tangowaggon wrote:
Quote:

I checked the link and it says that "AutoSock snow socks are a great, easy to use alternative to snow chains and winter tyres" - what rubbish. Whilst they may help a bit driving on snow they are not as good as proper chains, and if you use them on tarmac you'll rip them to shreds. They cannot be classed as an alternative to winter tyres. Vauxhall should be ashamed of themselves, and advertising standards should have a word with them - advice like this could kill someone

Have you actually used them? based on our experience of snow socks getting us through some serious snow, I doubt it. We pulled over to fit them in France, next to some guy that had already stopped and was holding up one of his chains as we stopped, we were fully fitted and drove away before he had even one chain on. we have done some miles on tarmac and they are still in one piece.
No, I haven't used them. There is no way they can be a replacement for winter tyres, which has to be your first priority. I accept that they may have a use instead of chains, and may be easier to fit, but I doubt if they are as durable or as good on packed ice. My main gripe though, is the statement that they can replace winter tyres.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
Have you actually used them?

Quote:
No, I haven't used them

Never let that get in the way of an opinion though eh, Chippy.....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I love this forum i really do, someone tells us about something that may be useful and even better is free, therefore get em shove em in your boot and they might get you out of the poo.

THEN along comes another person and slags the whole thing off.

Snowheads, If Carlsberg made internet forums Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Timbobaggins, There's no such thing as a free snowsock
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tGuvnor,I haven't done lots of things that I feel entitled to have an opinion on. If my words might stop someone killing themselves by assuming that snowsocks are equivalent to winter tyres but cheaper and acts accordingly then my post was worthwhile. Some people clearly want to start an argument in a telephone booth - I prefer to say something helpful and factual.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
if people who had not worn helmets, or not listened to music whilst skiing, or not had lessons with the ESF, etc etc etc refrained from posting on the relevant threads, it'd be jolly quiet round here.

It absolutely HAS to be the case that a pair of snowsocks in the boot is better than nowt - and particularly for the vast majority of UK motorists were are just never going to fit winter tyres.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
welshskier, What it actually states is :-

AutoSock snow socks are a great, easy to use alternative to snow chains and winter tyres. Just slip the textile ‘socks’ over your wheels to give you some grip in wet snow or icy conditions

It then goes on to say :-

You should use your snow socks to avoid getting stuck on slippery roads. Follow these tips and your snow socks can last for several winters:

Drive slowly in your AutoSock snow socks, up to 30mph at the maximum.
Drive only on wet snow and ice. Don't drive on tarmac or grit as these surfaces will tear and damage the fibres of the sock material.
Remember snow socks are not a legal substitute in countries where snow chains are a legal requirement.
Break gently to minimise damage to your snow socks.

Nowhere does it say anything about them being a suitable alternative to winter tyres or chains. So pipe down, Chippy....[/i]
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wouldn't trust them if they can't spell "brake" properly in their promotional material...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bobmcstuff, Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Urm, do we need snow chains and or socks when driving to the Alps and should i buy snow tyres and do i need a helmet, are my boots too big and what length skis do i need, i am 8 foot six by the way wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Guvnor wrote:
welshskier, What it actually states is :-

AutoSock snow socks are a great, easy to use alternative to snow chains and winter tyres. Just slip the textile ‘socks’ over your wheels to give you some grip in wet snow or icy conditions

It then goes on to say :-

You should use your snow socks to avoid getting stuck on slippery roads. Follow these tips and your snow socks can last for several winters:

Drive slowly in your AutoSock snow socks, up to 30mph at the maximum.
Drive only on wet snow and ice. Don't drive on tarmac or grit as these surfaces will tear and damage the fibres of the sock material.
Remember snow socks are not a legal substitute in countries where snow chains are a legal requirement.
Break gently to minimise damage to your snow socks.

Nowhere does it say anything about them being a suitable alternative to winter tyres or chains. So pipe down, Chippy....[/i]

And let that be and end to it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggthhhhhhhtttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I probably need help but, when I see someone creeping along with their snow socks on, I actually feel like giving them a good slap. There's just something, I dunno, pathetic about it but the required solution is beyond tea and biscuits and a chat. I can't help it. Anyone else?

Other devices that bring on same symptoms... ski carrying devices, dayglo neoprene boot warmers, bum bags (thankfully almost extinct), fluffy ear muffs and animal-themed helmet covers.
snow report
Bode Swiller,

What is wrong with my dayglo fluffy cow shaped bum bag then
ski holidays
Timbobaggins, hey no, they're ok.
snow report
Bode Swiller,

Phew, wont put it on ebay just yet then
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy