Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Making Choc Cake at 1550m's .

Poster: A snowHead
Every year my daughter ,who's birthday is on New Years day ,has to put up with Shop bought Birthday cake cause my wife can't get hers to rise at our apartment in Ste Foy , ex chalet girls / cooks out there whats the secret ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am none of the above but has she turned the oven on?. I would have expected it to rise more due to reduced air pressure.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm... I was cooking cakes at 2,100m last season and seemed to go OK!! All our recipes were from the company cookbook though which was obviously designed to be used at high altitude.

As I understand it they tend to rise very quickly and then fall straight away if you're not careful, try increasing the temperature (less time to collapse) or reducing the amount of baking powder (rise less).

I found with biscuits/cookies (which we were getting recipes for off the net) you had to use a lot more flour than the "sea level" recipe said. So maybe try increasing the flour or decreasing the liquid?

Off google, I guess try that to begin with:

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/high-altitude-cake-baking/detail.aspx
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As usual, Google is your friend. Search "Baking at altitude" and you'll find something to assist - for example
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/cake_decorating/31903
and
http://www.highaltitudebaking.com/

Rule of thumb, increase flour and liquid, decrease sugar.
Now theres an interesting round for Great British Bake off next year...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rob Mackley, I'd PM Megamum, she's sure to know the answer.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yoghurt cake and the little pink sachets (baking powder I think but its in little pink sachets next to the flour/ baking section) you get from the supermarche. And I did this at 1800 Very Happy

Here is the recipe courtesy of Natives http://www.natives.co.uk/seasons/recipes/yoghurt.htm
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone , I will get her to have a look .
Quote:

Now theres an interesting round for Great British Bake off next year... AGREED , that would be a laugh .
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Less raising agent. I've needed to do very little else, but I only cook at 1600m and I don't often make cakes. Our local patisserie has a Black Forest Gateau (not to mention sundry other delights) which are just a million times better than anything I can make.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yoghurt cake. 1 pot yoghurt, 1 pot oil, 1 pot sugar, 3 pots flour, 4 eggs, baking powder.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Will there be enough for your neigbours Rob?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If your there Foggi
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
+1 Nadenoodlee,
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sitter wrote:
Yoghurt cake. 1 pot yoghurt, 1 pot oil, 1 pot sugar, 3 pots flour, 4 eggs, baking powder.

The chalet girl/boys secret.... works every time!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yup! The yogurt cake works in Les Gets - I was warned that my bread would not rise - in the Panasonic breadmaker - but we have had no trouble with that. We are only at about 1250. Reminds me that I should be making a birthday cake at Christmas for elder son - not often with us so suppose we should make the effort..
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marcellus wrote:
Sitter wrote:

The chalet girl/boys secret.... works every time!!

For chocolate you can swap the yoghurt for a chocolate yoghurt. I would use two pots of flour and one of cocoa. Slightly under cook so it comes out with a really decadent middle, similar to a fondant. Smash up a bar 70% so you have large chunks too......... uuummmmmmm... might have to go and turn the oven on.........
snow report
sounds a good recipe - how big are the "pots"? Given that there's a finite number of eggs, that's important.

I make bread all the time - I have no problem making it at 1600m, it doesn't seem to make any difference. I use a breadmaker to make the dough (no sticky work surfaces or hands) but I always get it out of the machine, form it by hand and bake in the oven - so much nicer.
snow report
pam w wrote:
sounds a good recipe - how big are the "pots"? Given that there's a finite number of eggs, that's important.

I make bread all the time - I have no problem making it at 1600m, it doesn't seem to make any difference. I use a breadmaker to make the dough (no sticky work surfaces or hands) but I always get it out of the machine, form it by hand and bake in the oven - so much nicer.

Just the normal size you'd have for breakfast, about 125g I think they are. So easy to make tho, just mix everything in together and add whatever to flavour it, cocoa powder, chocolate, orange, lemon, banana, coffeee....
snow conditions
Sounds like a US "cup" measure. will give that a go - I always have a litre pot of homemade plain yogurt in the fridge. I like the idea of a bar of 70% chocolate. Or maybe coffee and chopped walnuts.....Might have to have a go at that tomorrow. Will it work at sea level, I wonder?
snow report
Sitter, it's 2 of sugar IMHO and for an 8" tin use a standard small yoghurt pot. I don't recommend using Olive Oil because the taste can be a bit strange. Light sunflower oil is fine.

I usually ice mine with icing sugar and lemon juice (no water) it goes down a treat.

p.s. I've never noticed that altitude make the slightest difference to cake baking but certainly the characteristics of ovens vary enormously
snow report
1 or 2 cups of suger doesn't make that much difference really, never had any complaints about my cakes over the seasons, other than them being too nice. Standard small yog pots are about 125g I think, I've always been in large chalets/chalet hotels so making cakes for 28+, just used a dariol mould as a measure for everything as the yogurt came in 5l tubs, the flour in 30kg bags etc. Seen all sorts come out tho, forgetting the baking powder is a common one and I know of people who've used olive oil.

Agree on the ovens, takes a bit of playing around to get it right.
ski holidays
Rob Mackley, you're in Les Fermes de Sainte Foy, right?

Every single one of the WhirlPool ovens that I've seen in many Sainte Foy chalets/apartments in the last 5 years has had a broken bottom element. Among other things, this particularly stops cakes from rising (as the bottom of the oven never gets hot)! I think I've replaced 8 ovens so far because of this problem.

Might be worth checking!
snow report
Your right above foggi , I changed to a nice all singing Fan oven last year , The Mrs is quite impressed by the results of the Forum although she claims she's not that crap at cakes there . Photos of Choc Cake to be posted New Years Day .
snow conditions
I will ask my lad when he gets home tonight as well he is the Alpine chef

Funny thing is that I only read today that this yogurt cake recipe is a very British thing in the Alps, is this true I don't know but it works

Puzzled
snow report
I'm going to have to stop looking at this thread....... might make one at the weekend when the family will be around.

I did, for the first time, make some Italian biscotti yesterday - as a contribution to an Italian conversation group I am joining tomorrow night. Interesting recipe, something I've never made before, with dried cranberries and pistachios. Even with such expensive ingredients they were much cheaper - and far nicer - than those ones you buy in expensive coffee shops.

Just got to make sure there are enough left for tomorrow night, now.....

Sorry, thread drift..... it's thinking about baking that does it.
snow report
Since we're on the subject:

Our chalet cakes.

All proven at 1550m! wink
snow conditions
Sometimes there is a thread on snowHeads that just needs printing out Toofy Grin
snow report
the only thing you need to watch is if you're using a "wet ingredient" like bananas then reduce the oil and yoghurt a a little as it can be a little too wet and stogy.

We used to make doubles of everything and then freeze one and serve the other Wink

My favourite was banana and chocolate!

(that was until the end of the season when we started to tinker with the addition of a little alcohol!!) Confused
snow conditions
Dammit! Now I want chocolate cake Evil or Very Mad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy