Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ContourHD or GoPro HD Hero

Poster: A snowHead
With a bit of an epic season coming up I'm interested in getting a helmet cam to capture some of the memories (mostly because I can't be bothered to keep stopping and taking my camera out!)

The 2 main contenders are the Contour and the GoPro. The GoPro seems to be the more popular choice but with a £100 difference (1080 versions in both) in the price tag I'm not sure I'm convinced! I also prefer the side helmet/goggle mount for the Contour as opposed to the top of the head mount for the GoPro.

So has anyone got either and can offer any input to help the decision? Or are there any other options to consider?

Thanks all!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had the same question myself quite recently. In the end I bought a Drift HD170 - can be had for a lot less than the GoPro and does 1080p, time lapse, 60fps at 720p, and it has an inbuilt LCD screen and a remote on a wrist strap so you can start it from up to 5metres away. The picture and build quality is great. Another option to consider!

Sample -
http://youtube.com/v/sYH84DENo_A
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CSki, the gopro (or indeed the gopro2) will offer a superior capture to the contour in my view, but the form factor is an issue for some. You should be able to pick up 2nd gopro(1) models a fair bit cheaper soon as (we) and indeed other move to the version 2 of the camera. The gopro's are more expensive but this is justified in some ways by their use by most major production and tv companies as POV or mounted cameras.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CSki, Contour HD is the way to go IMO, bought one in summer and its ready and raring to go in a few weeks time. I'm sure the GoPro is excellent too, dont know the drift but to me the GoPro just looks odd. Theres numerous mounts available for the Contour, used mine in the Alps in summer for MTB and it was excellent, highly recommended.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From what I've seen of MTBing vids, the GoPro on a chest mount is about the best combination. Far more stable and less "rattly". I'd guess the same would be true for skiing too. For helmet mount, I'd probably go for the Contour or Drift.

On that note, I'm gonna buy a handful of those £6 keychain cams to gaffer tape to bike, helmet etc. and have a play with deshaking software.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There was a very informative thread on here a month or two back on this. Had a good side by side comparison of the GoPro, Drift and Contour. IMO, the contour helmet mount is average at best, esp compared to the rigidity of the GoPro mount. No experience of the Drift. GoPro is the most bombproof and has the best image quality IMHO.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

the contour helmet mount is average at best

Sharkymark, Have you anything to base this view on? This summer my Contour helmet mount was totally solid on a downhill blast 2500m to 1300m mountain track in Arlberg at av 20 mph, and max 38 mph over all sorts of terrain, large sized loose rock to shale, to stone steps and river crossing............... pretty good testing ground IMO, no problems with the helmet mount. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My experience of the contour helmet mount is not great. Using the goggle strap mount without modifcations gives quite a bit of camera shake. With a bit of velcro between the mount and the helmet it works fine, though.

Second thing, the contour over exposes badly in bright light and snow. I don't usually bother with filters etc. but it requires the filter kit and a 37mm two or four stop ND filter/a polarising filter in order to film in snow. This is not one of those "oh I can probably manage without it" things, it is defo another 50 quid on what you are spending. Once done, though, the quality is imv as good or better than a lot of the GoPro footage I've seen. This kind of reinforces the point that helmet cams are not really point and shoot, there is quite a lot of user skill in setting the thing up properly.

Third thing to consider is whether or not your laptop can handle HD video.

Fourth thing is you'll want a spare battery.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gorilla, My contour HD seems steady on the goggles mount, came with a polorizing filter and as for batteries don't buy contour just pick up a cheap Nokia BL-5C on ebay if you need a spare.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davkt, Good news on the battery, you sure its same spec for £2.50? I was about to order one, thanks! Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have to agree with gorilla, I have had a Contour for a couple of years now, and have found it very good for my MTB stuff, but a pain to set up for skiing. I've still got it and do rate it, but have changed to a VIO POV HD cam for snow sports - which is pretty incredible. Haven't used a GoPro, but the footage/reviews always seem pretty good. There is a new one out now too.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Markymark29, 99% sure, certainly used a friends Nokia phone battery as a test in mine but forgot to note the number and plenty of google hits show the BL-5C as the one for the contour HD
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My thoughts (and I have Contour's, Drift's, and lots of GoPro's and also more recently a couple of the GoPro2's). The mounting plays a big part and if I'm honest the Contour and Drift can be a little more versatile in this respect but if mounted correctly the GP's work really well. However in terms of pure image quality the GoPro is the best. This is backed up by the fact (as mentioned previously) that most major production and tv companies are are now using the GP's (of course Gopro may be subsidising this but I don't think that is the case).

The Gopro2 is a game changer with the new wireless remote and wifi link. We have long range wireless links we use for certain events with our gopros which we can use up to about 2k line of of sight without any significant signal drop. But specific add-on is really going to make this big, very big. Having seen and played I'd expect to see it an awful lot over the next 12 months.

If I was on a limited budget then I'd spend my money on the contour, but in reality my money right now would be on a cheap gopro or on a gopro2. In fact as mentioned elsewhere we are currently in the process of testing the gopro2 and the add ons (wireless remote and wifi) before replacing all of our gopro's with GP2's so expect a few gopros for sale shortly.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29, Stoaty's wibbly wobbly goggle mount with added gaffa tape wink GoPro was super stable on bars and seatpost from 2500m to 500m descent near Sion on a 5" trail bike...vibration aplenty wink Takes stunning photos too - white balance is spot on
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ansta1, Let me know when they are for sale!
snow report
Hmmm, now I seem to be even further from a decision! Puzzled Seems like either will do and it's just a matter of getting used to it myself.

Has anyone had any experience with the set up or software for either? Ideally the most straight forward and basic would do and then I can faff with videos in an external program.
latest report
Sharkymark, I was not commenting on a goggle mount, I was saying about helmet mount, 2 entirely different fixings, one is fastened onto a goggle strap (which is made of elastic so hardly surprising its wobbly, bit like a house on dodgy foundations!), the other, ie helmet mount is a totally rigid mount, ie as long as your helmet is fit properly so is your cam. Anyway its personal preference but I am 100% sure CSki that given the correct mounting (ie proper helmet mount) that Contour will do you fine. I take on board the comments above re filters and am going to invest in some, thanks gorilla for your post here.

By the way anyone see Gadget show last night? GoPro did not full endear itself on the mountings front on the sea jet-pack test, it fell off!!

Lets be honest they're all brilliant, go with whatever you feel best with at the time, GoPro, Contour or Drift, they'll all serve you well if fastened on properly. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Markymark29, I agree, I'm sure I'll get to grips with whatever I get, it sounds like nothing that a bit of gaffa tape won't fix! I will have a look at filters too. I think I'd rather spend just over £100 and get the Contour and upgrade in a few years when I've really figured it all out. Just can't resist getting some shots of Japan and race courses this season!
ski holidays
I wouldn't believe anything the Gadget show has to say. It's entertainment (mainly to see how much of a twit otis and the bald one make of themselves), not a review show. They couldn't give an unbiased review of genuinely comparable gadgets to save their lives. Oh and this year's gadget of the year, (sponsored by apple)? my money's on iPhone4s Wink
latest report
Has anyone got any experience of using the LCD BacPac with the GoPro. Is it any good? Does it make setting up easier? etc...
snow report
Quote:

Has anyone got any experience of using the LCD BacPac with the GoPro. Is it any good? Does it make setting up easier? etc...

yep, lots and lots and yes it does make it a lot easier to setup though I suggest you don't actually use it mounted as it increases the form factor and also uses the battery a bit more. We recommend using the LCD back to setup the camera options and the mounting point (using a standard housing with the back door open). When your happy take the camera out, put the LCD back in your pocket and use it for reviewing footage over drink/lunch breaks.

The UI on the GP2 is significantly better in my view.
ski holidays
ansta1, thanks for that. Good tip.

Hoping the price of GP1 starts to plummet now, given the arrival of the GP2.
snow report
andy, +1 but good scenery though eh?! wink
snow report
Feast, dropped £50 officially.
snow report
clarky999, yeah, I saw that. Maybe i'm just being tight hoping it might fall lower in the lead up to or just after Christmas!?
snow report
Markymark29, fair enough. You need holes in the helmet for the helmet mount though?

+1 for the Gadget Show. I saw them test a DH bike on a straight fire road in one episode.

CSki, contour is easy to operate - one slide and it's recording. The GoPro cycles through settings so it is possible to mess it up if you hit the wrong button. GoPro footage needs no software to view other than a vid editor (MPEG4). Same for the others, unless they record in some esoteric format.

Watch out for contrast too. My Bro tested a contour (albeit the 720 version) in Whistler a few years ago and thought it was crap in high to low light situations. Stoaty got some decent enough footage in light to dark skiing situations so just be careful what light you use it in. As I mentioned on the other thread, they're all poo-poo when it's cloudy...
latest report
I'd personally say GoPro all the way. Check out the new HD2 - a bit harsher on the wallet, but amazing bit of kit. Alternatively, no doubt the original HD will come down in price a bit now, so could get a bargain there. The comparison table at the bottom of this page might help - http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/reviews_of_helmet_cameras
ski holidays
To save money you can do what I did and buy a gopro 960, the quality is great, for me I really don't need 1080p and for £160 its not a bad way to go.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gorilla,
Quote:

Second thing, the contour over exposes badly in bright light and snow. I don't usually bother with filters etc. but it requires the filter kit and a 37mm two or four stop ND filter/a polarising filter in order to film in snow. This is not one of those "oh I can probably manage without it" things, it is defo another 50 quid on what you are spending. Once done, though, the quality is imv as good or better than a lot of the GoPro footage I've seen. This kind of reinforces the point that helmet cams are not really point and shoot, there is quite a lot of user skill in setting the thing up properly

I'm keen to buy this set up for my ContourHD, but dont know what to buy.................any chance you could PM me some links for the right gear so I get the right configuration, I'm not very sussed at photography gizmos. Theres some on Amazon I was going to get but thought best to be sure its the right stuff first. Appreciate your help, cheers.
latest report
mob008, I'm thinking of going down the GoPro 960 route as I don't see a real need for 1080p to be honest. Even 960 seems a bit OTT for general use. You just end up with ever bigger files for not much real life gain. But with the HD 1080 now dropping under £200 it's tempting to just get that one anyway for the flexibility and higher frame rate for slo-mo (perhaps this is the real advantage?). Anyone got a comparison of 960 v 1080 resolution? Does it really look any better in 1080?
snow conditions
Markymark29,

I went with: http://pointofviewcameras.co.uk/contourhd-replacement-lens-kit.html , which enables you to remove the standard lens ring and replace it with something that will take a 37mm polarising filter. I bought a cheap polariser and a 2 stop ND filter from amazon. I'm not exactly Greg Stump so did not bother with anything too expensive. I think the polarising filter is this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00005QF8K/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending&tag=amz07b-21 .

Hope this is useful. It is a bit of a bucket solution but has worked relatively well for me in bright light. Should it ever snow this year, I'll post some footage.
snow conditions
uktrailmonster, 960 is perfectly fine. 1080 just gives you the same height but more width. MTB/ski vids look better with a squarer field of view.
snow conditions
gorilla, Thanks for your help, what about the 2 stop ND Filter, do you have a link for this? As you can see I'm not even You Toube yet, never mind Greg Stump! Just ant to get the kit ordered but dont want to order wrongly.
latest report
Sharkymark, Cheers, that's what I thought.
ski holidays
gorilla wrote:
Markymark29,

I went with: http://pointofviewcameras.co.uk/contourhd-replacement-lens-kit.html , which enables you to remove the standard lens ring and replace it with something that will take a 37mm polarising filter. I bought a cheap polariser and a 2 stop ND filter from amazon. I'm not exactly Greg Stump so did not bother with anything too expensive. I think the polarising filter is this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00005QF8K/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending&tag=amz07b-21 .

Hope this is useful. It is a bit of a bucket solution but has worked relatively well for me in bright light. Should it ever snow this year, I'll post some footage.

I've decided to buy the ContourHD - now the ROAM version is out, it's predecessor is too cheap to ignore! However, do you know if the ContourHD 1080 front end is capable of simply taking a 37mm UV filter - by that I mean, can you remove the standard lens ring from the camera and replace it with the UV filter? I'm guessing the answer will be "no, you've got to buy the adapter kit from Contour" but one always travels in hope... despite such hopes so often being dashed on the rocks of experience.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy