Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Reminding yourself" that you're skiing...

Poster: A snowHead
As Pedantica points out, I "click" my ski poles together twice behind my back as a "trigger" to remind myself that I'm trying to ski a "performance run". I think that it works for me, but have no "science" to prove otherwise. It helps me focus on the task - rather than the here and now.

Does anyone else do anything similar?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh, that's what it's for!

But, in answer to your question, no: I just take a few breaths (concentrating on the out breath) partly to relax/achieve a state of mindfulness and partly to help engage core muscles, and then just focus (what passes as) my brain on the task in hand.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FlyingStantoni, Why?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Neuro linguistic programming - many sportsmen do it, like Jonny's pre kicking routine (worked a charm in the world cup...)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What I quite often do at Hemel is reflect on what I'm trying to do in my skiing while travelling back up on the poma. I try to imagine what it will feel like when I do the next run. That probably accounts for the vacant expression I'm wearing wink

FlyingStantoni, I also noticed the "clicking", as at times it intruded on my deep and purposeful reflection Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FlyingStantoni, ...ah wondered who the hell was clicking last season...

...one interesting 'head' trick was given to me by dave morris - at the top of some monstrous steeps he said 'ok - we're going to ski this in slow motion...'

'...what????'

'...just think SLOOOw Mowwwwwtionnnnnn' in you head all the way to the bottom....and over and over'.

'...Ok...'

and boy did it work. In the ryhthm of each turn I just kept a long and slow phrasing of 'ssslllloowwww mowwwwtionnnnn' in my head, and the whole world slowed down - I was skiing fast and doing short turns on mega-steep, but it was just so controlled. Very good psychology, and exactly the kind of things which top coaches have in their back pockets to bring out at the right time.

And then there was the occasion when he tied my legs together....but that's another story.....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
FlyingStantoni, Why?

No idea mate. At this point it's just an annoying habit Toofy Grin

Actually, in truth, many people have something they use as a trigger. Pole tapping is quite common. Someone I know lifts each ski tail off the ground.

You probably have something, though you're probably not aware of what it is.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FlyingStantoni, yep when doing fast piste work I am singing Top of the Hill from Hot Dog the Movie, in my mind I hasten to add, and on really steep stuff, the tune changes to The Great Escape. Toofy Grin

I have been know to sing these tunes out loud when I get a little excited Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"Feel the rhythm, feel the Feel the rhyme. Get on up, its bobsled time!"
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just before I'm about to tackle something steep and difficult that has my reptilian brain screaming for me to get the hell out of there, I narrow my eyes and quietly say, "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. When the fear is gone, only I remain." (That paraphrased litany of fear comes from a Frank Herbert book I read decades ago.) Not sure that it actually helps, I'm still scared, all the way down Madeye-Smiley

I often talk myself through drills or even basic movements when I lose form. Out loud. Don't care that it makes me look like a nutter.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pedantica wrote:

I was told it's an audible warning to the people in front of you. Not very loud with my carbon poles though
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Visualisation is used by many top sportsman.

I often watch Ski videos before i go out Skiing. Getting the Rhythm in my head and visualising the turns.

Remembering the feeling of your greatest run, instills confidence and really helps you overcome many fears.

When Racing, I also use certain Music before i go out the start gate, to get the adrenelin pumping and a feeling of Euphoria.

Certain BPM can really help you get fired up. Controlled agression is a wonderful thing...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Zero-G wrote:
I often talk myself through drills or even basic movements when I lose form. Out loud. Don't care that it makes me look like a nutter.

Yup, I do that. Particularly when I'm scared, or not skiing well. I talk myself through every turn.. literally... 1, 2, 3... and turrrrrrnnnnn.... (and repeat) Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Schuss in Boots, +1
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nbt wrote:
Pedantica wrote:

I was told it's an audible warning to the people in front of you. Not very loud with my carbon poles though

I do that on cat tracks if I want to pass someone, but have stopped doing it on piste. Now I just yell at them... wink
snow conditions
FlyingStantoni,
Quote:

I do that on cat tracks if I want to pass someone
Oh lawks, where's the popcorn? Shocked

I don't mind pole clicking if it signals 'I'm off now, follow me please' by the leader of a group. Otherwise I find it annoying, principally because it's lodged in my mind either as 'look at me' or 'get out of my way'. There is no logic to this annoyance and now that I know it means FlyingStantoni is trying to get himself into the zone, I shall endeavour to be more tolerant. wink
ski holidays
Not sure what I do but skiing something difficult, archery, long range rifle all need me to be be in a certain state of mind visualised what I want to happen then just going with it
latest report
FlyingStantoni wrote:

You probably have something, though you're probably not aware of what it is.

Yep, I've never realised before reading this that I almost always do exactly the same thing before I set of on a run...

Flick both my skis, right then left, as if to get rid of the snow on them.
snow report
davkt, ...blimey...long rang rifle....is that you in the last scene of 'Tinker, Tailor...'?

or....hang on a minute...was it you on the grassy knoll...???
ski holidays
Not sure i actually need reminding that i am skiing. Two planks on my feet and vast amounts of white stuff do that adequately.
snow report
valais2 wrote:
davkt, ...blimey...long rang rifle....is that you in the last scene of 'Tinker, Tailor...'?

or....hang on a minute...was it you on the grassy knoll...???

Nope, looked like a fairly short range shot with a CZ 452 .22 at the end of Tinker Tailor to me (though on the web it says it was 7.92 Mauser and that would have made a bit more of a mess!) and not quite old enough to have managed a sniper rifle on the grassy knoll! Though a good old Lea Enfield .303 at 300m or Armalon PR .308 at 600-800m is great fun! Must get a new club sorted so I can get back to it as my old one folded at the start of the year.
latest report
davkt, ...ah...so in fact you are guy in Point of Impact...it was always unclear...
ski holidays
davkt,
Quote:

Though a good old Lea Enfield .303 at 300m

wow that takes me back wink Bisley and all that, always like the 222 50 for some serious long range stuff, nice little shell
ski holidays
The only rifles I've shot are a Musgrave .375 bolt action (carried that thing around every day for a year when I lived in the bush) and a something .408 bloody elephant gun, which almost dislocated my shoulder from the recoil. Was the first and last time I shot it. We used a .22 rifle with a 5-round magazine for culling antelope, can't remember which (I'm a girl, we don't remember these things). Of the three, the Musgrave was by far my favourite (must have been, I remember the name!) and I had that thing dialled in - very accurate.
snow report
Not ski related but triggers work. I dont like flying and when preggers (coudnt drink or take pills for the anxiety) I taught myself a couple of relaxation trigger; whenever I was happy I squeezed the skin between my thumb and index figure so that I related that action with feeling happy, whenever I was relaxed I thought of the number three, so just thinking of the number three eventually induced a relaxed state. You have to practice it over time but it certainly worked for me.
latest report
Zero-G, Must say the CZ is a very sweet .22 certainly shooting from a rest at 50m and there is no excuse not to be putting round after round in the same hole on the target! Though the Armalon at 300m is pretty much as good, certainly no excuse for no at least putting the next round in the spotting disk!
snow conditions
I really need to get into some rifle shooting. Apart from playing with my dads .303 as a kid all my experience has been air rifle and .22 rimfire.

Bring on those deer *clears shelf in freezer*
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy