Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoiding school holidays in Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Seeing snow on the telly is getting me in the mood for the coming season Very Happy

Areas that have been mentioned for a group trip are Cervinia and the Dolomites (not far enough along the research to commit to a resort here...), so the common theme is Italy. I am well versed in avoiding the French peak weeks, but am unfamiliar with the deal over the border. I can see from the helpful table that the Italian 'half term' is the week after the British one, so would these be the 2 weeks to avoid for a child-free holiday? Or is there less of a problem in Italy? Any other nationalities likely to be in the area for their school holiday weeks at other times?

Thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Scarlet

The peak weeks in Italy,when the Italian families come out to play, but this does depend on resort chosen. I can only speak for resorts I know in Italy but I think its far less of a problem than some of the popular French peak weeks. The real peak weeks are Boxing day onwards till first week of January (the busiest period of the sesaon for Italians) and Italian Carnavale this year 19th Feb - 25th Feb , the rest of the year its a case of enjoy the ski,the food, the sun.....the Italian way chilled!!!!!

Ciao
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks - should've mentioned we usually ski early-mid March, so it sounds like this will be after the peak period.
Anyone else been to these areas around that time of year?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarlet, the following sticky thread was useful for me as it helped me determine that going to the Dolomites on the 25th Feb was a good option to avoid half term and as bella ski Italia says, Carnavale. Although there are usually some nice events happening that week e.g. Ski shows with fireworks

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76752
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet, we skied in italy last season first week in march, was pretty quiet, you shouldn't have any problems....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Scarlet, Capodanno (New Year) and the days either side is the most popular time for Italians to ski, it can get very crowded at this time. Not many regions have mid-term school holidays in Feb, but other nationalities that visit Italy do, Bavarians are in evidence in Val Gardena during Fasching/Carnevale week. Russians are quite a large crowd in the Sella Ronda area around Epiphany on Jan 6. Pre-xmas, mid-late Jan and Mar/Apr excluding Easter are usually quieter times to visit. Some resorts that cater for weekenders from the Northern cities can be pretty empty midweek, Sella Ronda areas tend to cater more for one-weekers, so the effect is less pronounced.

Cervinia was pretty uncrowded when I visited mid-Jan, Arabba & the Sella Ronda were a bit busier, but quiet areas could be found. March is a good time to enjoy sun on the terraces, but sometimes you may experience Spring conditions.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In my experience, which includes being in Arabba and Canazei during 'half term week' and Carnevale when they clash - it's nothing like as busy as the big French ski sheds.

I will take half term week in or around the Sella Ronda anytime over the Espace Killy or Paradiski stuff.

And will be there in Feb 2012 snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Excellent, thanks all for your help. I think we may have narrowed it down to a couple of weeks to look at.

Now for some accommodation options (might need another thread...), though if anyone wants to recommend a catered chalet, do shout up Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy