Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tom Tom Navigators

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks;
Will be driving from Chambery to Champagny en Vanoisse in December, we've got a Tom Tom Sat Nav, if I download the relevant maps are the Tom Tom one's pretty reliable and give sensible routes?? (in France)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Standee, the potential problems with using SatNavs in the Alps in winter is that they may try to take you over a (closed) mountain pass if that were the shortest route.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Freddie Paellahead wrote:
Hi Standee, the potential problems with using SatNavs in the Alps in winter is that they may try to take you over a (closed) mountain pass if that were the shortest route.

that was one of my concerns, does anyone have any suggestions on the best route from Chambery to Champagny en Vanoisse in winter conditions?

(apologies if this would be better off on the resorts threads)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Freddie Paellahead wrote:
SatNavs...may try to take you over a (closed) mountain pass if that were the shortest route.

+1

Check where the SatNav is taking you before you set off as it's quite easy to end up trundling off down the wrong valley for a couple of hours before finding out that your in the wrong one.

I speak from experience. Embarassed rolling eyes Skullie
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
3 replies, no mention of a map.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's highly unlikely a sat-nav is going to take you over any pass between those locations on its default setting.

Not that you really need a sat-nav for that route: just follow the signs for Italy and turn off the autoroute just before the Frejus tunnel and continue up the valley.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RobW, Sorry, but that's not the right valley. The sat nav would be safer, but maps/road atlases are best, imho.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jehu wrote:
RobW, Sorry, but that's not the right valley. The sat nav would be safer, but maps/road atlases are best, imho.

if I use Multimap it's going to give me the equivalent of a Sat Nav route, so where do I get these maps without paying a shed load for them?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Standee, The map websites work fine for directions, just put in a few waypoints if it suggests going over a pass that would be closed. You would have to think about where you were going when using a map too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Standee, I would suggest requesting the route from the sat nav and then cross checking what it gives you against a normal map/multi-map. Mine worked pretty well in April last year, but it does sometimes have some strange ideas on the most direct route.

Edit: Actually would suggest cross checking against a road atlas type of map - if you hit traffic/roadworks issues then you will need the road atlas to find your way around it in a logical fashion.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Standee wrote:
Jehu wrote:

if I use Multimap it's going to give me the equivalent of a Sat Nav route, so where do I get these maps without paying a shed load for them?

I'm curious, what do TomToms (and any additional country maps) cost?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oops. For some reason when you put CdV into google maps it takes you to the upper Maurienne. Embarassed

I'll try again....

It's highly unlikely a sat-nav is going to take you over any pass between those locations on its default setting.

Not that you really need a sat-nav for that route: just follow the signs for L3V/Courchevel, but don't go up the final hill - instead keep left.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Oops. For some reason when you put CdV into google maps it takes you to the upper Maurienne

standee
Just type Bozel into google maps & it'll show you the route to Ch.enVa. (Moutiers to Boz on the D915 - Boz to Ch.enVa. on the D91B) - simples (no passes to go over - no satnav required)

PS will be there late on Boxing Day Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Settings>Language>Francais, she'll know
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andyph wrote:
Standee wrote:
Jehu wrote:

I'm curious, what do TomToms (and any additional country maps) cost?

our Tom Tom was £70 on special offer at Tesco at the time, additional maps about £30 I think.
snow conditions
just downloading the Alps region map, £39.95. I'll also buy a map, follow geoffers general advice and see if I can't find a transfer bus with La Plagne on the front to follow too!!

58 sleeps!!!!!!
snow conditions
Standee wrote:
... and see if I can't find a transfer bus with La Plagne on the front to follow too!!

That will take you to the wrong valley!
latest report
Er... Isn't all this a bit overkill? Local remainders bookshop has Michelin 2010 France Road Atlas for £2 - this would enable you to plan a route anywhere in France! It's not hard.
snow report
RobinS wrote:
Er... Isn't all this a bit overkill? Local remainders bookshop has Michelin 2010 France Road Atlas for £2 - this would enable you to plan a route anywhere in France! It's not hard.

maps=arguments
ski holidays
Standee, so do sat navs!

at a roundabout - does it mean this exit - no the next one - are you sure - no - it's too late now, I'll go round again - does it mean this exit - NO ... etc, etc, etc

Satnavs are useful for finding unfamilar addresses or estimating ETA and I use mine for both, otherwise its use my eyes and common sense!
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
Standee, so do sat navs!

at a roundabout - does it mean this exit - no the next one - are you sure - no - it's too late now, I'll go round again - does it mean this exit - NO ... etc, etc, etc

Satnavs are useful for finding unfamilar addresses or estimating ETA and I use mine for both, otherwise its use my eyes and common sense!

never had an issue with the Tom Tom, always tells you precisely the exit required as far as the UK is concerned.
ski holidays
Standee, Him - which is the second exit? That's not the first exit, it's just a track thing - me, the satnav recognises it an an exit - him, it doesn't look like an exit - me, of course it bloody is .... but not as politely!

My new whizzy satnav (we always use TomTom) actually says the name of the exits and the streets to turn into - much better!
snow report
Standee, if your French is reasonable, try this:
http://fr.mappy.com/#d%5B%5D=Chamb%C3%A9ry,+73000,+Rh%C3%B4ne-Alpes,+France&d%5B%5D=Champagny-en-Vanoise,+73350,+Rh%C3%B4ne-Alpes,+France&endPos%5By%5D=45.455561&endPos%5Bx%5D=6.693917&ipo=1&lm=r&p=itinerary
latest report
holidayloverxx, Laughing Laughing Oh, that sounds all too familiar... rolling eyes
snow conditions
It is really an easy route from Chambery to Champagny and a sat nav is not really necessary.

Leave Chambery on the motorway to Albertville.
Keep straight on at Albertvile to Moutiers
turn right at moutiers following the signs to Courchevel, Brides Les Bains and Bozel. Keep heading to Bozel. The TomTom may try and take you on a shorter, narrow road away from the valley bottom (my wife's tried this) but ignore it. Head for Bozel.
Follow the signs in Bozel to Champagny.

There are no moutain passes on the route. the highest point of the route is Champagny. In should take less than an hour in good conditions.

Mappy.com will give the directions in English if you are worried.
ski holidays
thanks johnE (and everyone else)
ski holidays
in many situations satnavs have to be used alongside a decent dose of geographical sense. In Genoa recently, with streets so incredibly close to each other in vertical distance (because the place is built on steep hills) my satnav was frequently extremely confused, contradicting itself constantly. I did need a fair idea of where I was (I had printed off some stuff from google maps, which was very useful). Between us, we made it.

Yesterday, unexpectedly, we had to meet a daughter in Paris (she was ill and needed a lift home, and we happened to be driving home from the Alps). I only had a small scale and out of date map of Western Europe, but the satnav was great. Even though I recently bought up to date maps, there were still several times when she was lost. But French signposting is pretty good (especially if you're aiming at Paris wink ) and the sat nav took us into Bobigny. We had arranged to meet her at the end of the Metro line in Bobigny, and at the last minute, before having to find a parking space and re-programme the satnav to find a nearby station, I happened to spot a bus going there!

So between a small scale feel for the overall geography, from the map, plus the satnav, plus a bit of lucky observation, we made it.

We could have stopped and re-programmed the satnav to find a nearby station, but that would have required a search for a parking space, and would have lost us a bit of time.

Generally, in the Alps, our satnav gets relatively frequently confused and does try to send us up some odd routes, even when asked to find the "fastest". They're really useful, but absolutely not instead of a map. Yesterday I was cross with myself for only having the European road map (which I'd taken because we initially drove down through Belgium, Luxembourg and Switzerland, to get to Genoa. I didn't want to clutter a very packed car with the latest Michelin French map, as I know the way to Calais from the Alps, but I hadn't bargained on having to double back to Paris from Laon, and then sort out the outer suburbs.

You never know. Travelling without a map really isn't a good idea.

Apart from anything else, if war breaks out, the US will switch off the GPS system. wink

It's also possible to make a mistake programming the satnav - there are lots of place named duplicated in France (e.g. I know of at least four cols called "Col de la Forclaz" and there are probably others). It's always wise to check it's actually taking you a sensible way to where you want to go.

Now I have one, I'd hate to be without the satnav, but they're not a substitute for using your brain.
snow report
In our car we have the following when driving to ski resorts in France,

SAT NAV ( Good for DTG and ETA ) Also the speed, as in if GPS says my SOG is 80MPH then i know i am reasonably safe from the French Rozzers, unless it says that as i go through a village full of school kids wink
AA Road Atlas France
AA Route Planner printed off
Via Michelin Route printed off
Sister and brother in law and my wife all giving me different directions and advice at the same time, the record is 3 times around the same roundabout in Chambery looking for a Super U!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes and 11 years of driving to the French Alps twice a year experience.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

It's also possible to make a mistake programming the satnav

as far as I remember Vanoise has only 1 "s" wink
ski holidays
Quote:

Apart from anything else, if war breaks out, the US will switch off the GPS system.

That is whay the EU has spent a fortune launching the Galileo system. It will be a bit unsettling when your aircraft is just about to come into land using sat nav and Dr Strangelove switches GPS off. After the first gulf war, which was the first war where GPS was used in anger, the americans tried switching on SA which drops the accurracy to civilian users significantly. Sadly their own military grade receveirs did not work so they used commercial garmins and their ilk instead. SA has not been touched since. I cannot really see them switching GPS off - but just in case......

OK when heading off to drive to Les Arcs, in addition to luggage I take with me: 2 flasks of coffee and a couple audio books. If I have a GPS receiver I spend the whole time telling it to shut up (no: I refuse to drive back to Folkstone and get the tunnel when I have already booked a ferry crossing from Dover and no way am I going on the A6 to arrive at Lyon at 8:00 in the morning.) but Timmobaggins is correct the speed camera wanrings are really useful.

As for maps - in the middle of the night I have no intention of opening a map while driving and trying to read it so these days I just memorise the route.
snow report
I use UK bought Tomtom european maps all over DE/NL/O/CH and the maps are reliable, but whatever you do don't rely on them to tell you what the speed limit is, they almost always seem to be wrong!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy