Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski length (another I know)

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all

Purchasing my first pair of ski's at the weekend, Volkl Kendo's hopefully, I'm 5 '11 and 13 stone. Problem is I think the 170 will be too short, whereas the 177 may be too long.

Thoughts?

I tend to spend quite a lot of time piste bashing as I'm usually away with a mixed ability group (gone for the Kendo's so I've got the versatility for powder days)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Short skis suck, long skis truck.

And so on. 177's.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Grizwald wrote:
Short skis suck, long skis truck.

And so on. 177's.

If you really want them for powder daze 184 or more.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm about the same size as you, maybe a tad heavier.

I'd be thinking 177 at least, or 184 depending on where they'll be spending most of their time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rjb, 170 is too short, similiar stats to you, I have an all mtn ski at 179 and some fat ones at 191.....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kendo's? 191
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
go 177, i was always given 170s when renting so bought 170s but then i got a deal on some 177s and was worried that they would be too big for my skill level and i'd struggle but right now i wish i'd gone straight to 177s, maybe even a bit bigger.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Definitely 177
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
your weight plays a part here, not just your height. 177 for sure!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
177s or shed 2 stone.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beeryletcher, I'm 1.5 stone lighter and ski 177s Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarpa wrote:
beeryletcher, I'm 1.5 stone lighter and ski 177s Laughing

1.6 lighter (and two inches shorter) and on 176s (or 190s [or pretty rarely 170s]) wink

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 28-10-11 16:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rjb,

One last bit of advice. You say that you're mostly a piste basher. My normal advice to anyone buying their first skis is to consider going for a piste ski. If you go away and get a powder day and want to foray into the magical world rent some skis for the day. The Kendos seem to be well thought of, although I've never skied them but in reviews allot of people comment that they feel a bit shorter than they actually are. They're a 50:50 bias so I guess it depends how much off piste you plan on doing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'll chip in to back people up here, 2.5 lighter, 5' 10", skiing 179's, go for the longer ones Smile
ski holidays
To buck the trend, I am significantly heavier than you and the same height, and I'd go for 170. I also hate that feeling that comes with a ski that is marginally too long for me.

There's a lot of people on here advising you based on their personal preferences and ability etc. As well as, no doubt, some macho BS. Go and ski them. Try both out and then make a decision. If you can't try them both out then you could waste a lot of money buying the longer or shorter ski once you realise that whichever you went for wasn't the right call.

Nobody has asked what you have skied before, what ability level you are at, or what type of skis you've used before, yet all are ready to push you into longer skis with almost no knowledge of your skiing. In the absence of more info, I'd go for the shorter ski. Plus for the mostly piste stuff you are planning the shorter length isn't going to be a big disadvantage.

But blind reccomendation of going longer is what we do on SH. I listened to that advice once, and had a week on a pair of skis that were given away when I got home.
snow report
rjb, not an immediate answer but:
At 5'10'' and 12.5 stone, I ski 165cm Rossignol 9STis on piste and 177cm Scott Missions all mountain.
However, I'm old enough to have got up to the dizzy heights of 192cm straight skis in the early 90s, so both seem fairly short to me at times.
I think you have got to try them - most resorts have at least one shop willing to do a "try before you buy" option.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy