Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dynafit binding My / Mz advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I had a lateral binding release on my Dynafits last season that was a little later than I would have liked - the release was just on the edge of doing something undesirable to my knee. I'd like to dial it down a setting.

My reading on t'internet suggests, rather counter-intuitively, that Mz is what I should adjust for lateral release and My for vertical release. Could anyone confirm please?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, you're correct. Details here:

http://www.wildsnow.com/1549/dynafit-release-adjustment-tips-tricks/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wildsnow is the source of all knowledge for dynafit.

Its worth getting them set up properly.

The spacing between boot and the rear binding piece is also critical for correctly functioning lateral release.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Kelskii and Haggis_Trap.

And thanks for the spacing heads up Haggis_Trap. As it happens I'm just adjusting the release settings, but it's worth reinforcing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bumping this as I just got some Radical ST's and as usual for AT and Tele stuff everything is mighty confusing to say the least...

the binding "manual" from dynafit doesnt have any info on setting the release settings... gleening from internet / wildsnow it sounds as though you need to have a 5.5 mm gap between end of boot and binding heel post. I tend to ski on 10 or 11 DIN alpine and I have set the vertical and lateral release to 10 on the dynafits which is slightly worrying being at the end of the settings...

sounds like the vertical / upward release is more critical that the lateral can be set lower which doesnt feel right to me as the lateral has a honking big spring behind it.. am tempted to reduce both to say 9 but dont really want to play around with pre releases... any views anyone?

also have shimmed the toe pieces by 15mm to get a zero delta with my titan boots which looks ridiculous but we shall see how they ski in a few weeks...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Also, be aware that different Dynafit bindings have different spacing requirements. This dimension is critical. If you've lost the bit of plastic that came in the box then look up the correct spacing and use something else the same size - eg. an Allen key.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, I'm wading through the screeds of opinion on all this as I'm determined to build a 'frankentele' setup that is still safe for my knackered joints. One thing that does shout out is that on lighter, more flexible skis the Dynafit recommended 5.5mm gap is not enough for a clean release and going up to 6mm gives a more reliable DIN rated release. Beware! That's apocryphal and I'm not saying do that, just keep reading.. For me, the G3 Onyx heel pieces may be the best option.

While you're here . . . Twisted Evil . . . if I turned up to one of your BASI courses with an NTN/locking heel hybrid on a suitable piste ski. Would your head explode?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
altis, have made up a little 5.5mm shim but will double check the distance with the boot in and the ski decambered on the floor.

Masque, yeah i saw something to that effect as well and will err towards 6mm... I have a pair of new Head REV 90's for touring and they feel quite soft compared to what I normally like to ski on...

We only do prep courses and arent examiners but on BASI courses they do have a look at your gear but usually only at the later levels does it matter enough for a trainer to comment... if you rock up on something completely inappropriate I have heard trainers tell people to change skis. They dont tend to like people on SL skis on L3 / L4 exams for instance for safety nor anyone on super fats as they dont work on piste, nor twin tips as they cant see what the skis are doing with all the spray, my mate used touring skis and fritschi bindings on his L3 teach and the trainer said "brave effort".... (he passed)

Personally i could care less what skis someone uses as long as they can demonstrate skiing at the level required.. but why make a rod for your own back ? For me any piste oriented ski would be fine at L1 and at L2 slightly wider underfoot stiffer ski for help in variables. At L3 a stiffer longer ski cheater GS ski would suit. terms of the boots and bindings if it works for you fair dues.. I have seen race plug boots, light touring boots, not seen anyone on tele gear but I have one client who could pass an L1 alpine using tele gear.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, sorry . . . me . . . L3 . . . Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing pause for changing grungies Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Eurotest at 60 . . . that'll be a first rolling eyes fatality?

Actually I like alpine on tele, it really forces you to be absolutely focused on your position over the ski, if you make a mistake, you're eating dirt at anything above pootling around the piste speeds. If I go down the BASI route I'll turn up with a piste oriented ski in a suitable size. It wouldn't be a high-end carver as for all I can see the first two levels require the supplicant to be able to adjust a turn using any and all methods and not just power carve t'boogers in GS frenzy.
Thanks for the input Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy