Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What lessons/childcare for a just 3 year old?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
He has a trunki and loves it. Helmets definitely but for a trunki may be going a bit too far!

Chocolate buttons a good idea, though suspect he would eat them all before he started!

Just had loads of winter gear arrive through the post (for the kids), need it before skiing as they go in bike trailer to nursery so need to be toasty warm - has made me excited for skiing though. Think the older ones gloves may be a bit big though as I can just about get my (small) hands in them!

gazzza that sounds like the sort of thing my husband does all the time, he never seems to get embarrassed by his damaging of the kids though (e.g. letting 13 month old climb things on her own and just going "oops" when she falls off....)

Damn, just thought, I sent him a link to this thread, I will be in trouble for making him out to be a buffoon as usual.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
we also took a PSP ( and still do ) with a large selection of favorite films to watch in the room. and a small box of lego to make & break
one of those sheapo coloring books from the poundshops and some pencils is a good idea to.

re the trunki - the only problem we had was when we reached passport control/ bag checks , and off he shot ( perhaps holding onto it is a good idea)
had a small panic discussion with a guntoting guarda - to get through and get him rolling eyes - not sure helmets are needed - more like someone with a large flag in front, behind, to the sides etc etc etc.

re pushchairs - the maclaren foldups are a good idea - especially as you can get a bag to put it in when travelling, which you can then stuff full of all sorts of other things - disposable nappies also managed to get into skibags.

remember that there are bottle restrictions all over so take the smaller bottles of water so you can get them through customs !! and dont throw all the empties away so you can refill for the journey back
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Clairet, Sorry didn't meant to sound boastful about our wee one, although I do think he is amazing but that's coz I'm biased!! He was a bit older than your 3 year old, and he is tall for his age so maybe a bit stronger in legs? Although not sure if that's the way it works as my friends wee girl is waaaay better than him on a bike and can probably cycle so much longer. I would say we were surprised at what he learnt in the Piou Piou club. When we went he had only really learnt how to snow plough down straight and stop at the snowdome, and we did have a chat to each other midweek saying not sure he's learning much, but as long as he's having fun. Then I think it was the second last day and we arrived early to see him in the club and we were amazed how they were all now turning around the cones. From then he just went from strength to strength, still has the toddler wobbly cuteness I would say, not flying down slopes, but he can get down them in a controlled manner, so be prepared to be surprised.

I guess it will be hard to help him out if you are both boarders, I had never thought of that, and they have to ski really as can't get board lessons at that age.........

We also did as suggested and put some chocolate in his pocket, or a cereal bar, but he actually never ate them, think he forgot all about them. Also get a pocket sized suncream that they can take, although ours was left in his bag on his wee hook in the club, along with some dry clothes, which were never needed as we had glorious sunshine and heat! Not great for our skiing, but the best conditions for his 1st ski holiday. I actually took a load of cereal bars and glad I did because he hardly ate anything while there, even though normally is a decent eater. Freddos are also a good call. We're just stocking up on the chocolate and cereal bars to take for NY!

A pair of snow boots for walking around town when not skiing, I guess you will have thought of that anyway.
Oh and we got him a cool Batman Buff which he loves.
The string with clips to clip their gloves through their jacket.
Same kind of thing for their sunglasses

Good idea of taking a bumboard if your hotel/chalet doesn't provide, will be taking on this tip!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
yes I think we would take our little maclaren, this is what we took to canada with a sling which can go on our back for the little one - was fine, even with lots of walking and sightseeing, our other pushchair is a big phil and teds double and too much hassle to take on plane. We had big tantrums when the trunki had to be taken away and put through the scanner, poor boy thought he wasn't getting it back!

we have an ipad with thomas and peppa pig on it as well as kids games which keeps him entertained for hours if required.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gilly I didn't think you were boasting, but I still think he sounds amazing. But also sounds like we might be surprised about what son can do on skis by the end of the week if we do try it, which is quite exciting. I am toying with the idea of taking skiing lessons for this holiday. I think I will if our friends don't come (otherwise I will just be frustrated that I can't go with them)

His snowboots have just arrived in my winter childrens clothes package! Daughter already has some pink ones inherited from son (bought for last ski holiday, we couldn't find any boys ones so he had pink fluffy ones, very funny)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
clairet, one thing is if you DO decide to go with Espirit, they often have loan pushchairs available (normally the dreaded Double Buggy type) so you may not need to take one with you - we borrowed one of Espirits a couple of times when we went with Sideways_Jnr - worth investigating whoever you go with...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have done most options over the years (kids now 11 and 9, have been going since 4 months... and still ski with friends with small kids). Esprit has been far and away the most successful option (for both parents and kids!). We've been back many times - Belle Plagne has worked best (swimming pool is a great addition with kids).

Both ours started at 3. With hindsight, I am not sure we would bother until 4 - neither got a lot out of it, and from watching other peoples children, they seem to enjoy it a lot more at 4. That said, a friend's 3 year old took to it like a duck to water this year (despite not wanting to go on day 1 - he spent the rest of the week wearing his helmet because he wanted to go skiing!). But at 3, don't expect them to leave the nursery area - it is more about fun and games in the snow at that stage than skiing. I don't know what makes one child work out better than another at that age - our quieter more timid boy did better than his more boisterous sporty younger brother. Just don't push them at all and let them have fun.

Esprit are very good at looking after the little ones - don't worry too much about the logistics. The afternoon lessons for the 3 and 4 year olds actually work quite well (the older ones from 5 onwards have their lessons in the morning). There will be an Esprit nanny on hand at all times to look after toilet needs etc, which works well (much better in this respect than Mark Warner, for example). Snowclub, if the child is old enough, is more fun than the nursery. If I could give one piece of advice, it would be that, whatever you do, try to resist the temptation to go and watch the little ones skiing from somewhere they can see you. You will completely disrupt the lesson!

There is nothing to stop you taking kids out of clubs, lessons etc whenever you want - although the kids may not thank you. But the freedom to have some real ski time to yourselves is great (if you are not the guilty parent type!).

Take three pairs of gloves with you per child - two always seem to be wet.

To be honest a pushchair is a bit of a pain in a ski resort.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In my experience of teaching kids there is a massive difference between 3 and 4 years old. If they've started school or pre-school and are used to operating in a class, being told what to do by a teacher, and giving it a go, then that too makes a massive difference. However, any ski school that is competent at teaching pre-schoolers will know this and will structure the day so that they (a) aren't doing too much skiing in one go (I'd estimate 1/2 an hour to an hour at most at a time before they are worn out); and (b) don't get bored or just fed up with lessons. Having a child who likes to try rather than not wanting to take part will also largely dictate their progress at that age, and for most 3 year olds that depends on the mood they are in on any given day. So, I wouldn't expect too much from a 3 year old, but by all means get them a couple of mornings of lessons, and then play with them the rest of the time. Whether that play is on skis, or toboggans or whatever, it doesn't really matter; what you need to ensure is that the kids are enjoying themselves (as in my experience that means everyone else is having fun too) and want to come back again when they are older.

Speaking personally (as a parent of a 5 year old and 2 year old) I've not taken either of them with me "to the mountains". The older one is having lessons at the local dry slope and will probably come with me next year, but by then she'll be a competent skier and will have a lot more stamina. Ski holidays are expensive, family ones doubly so, and I've never seen the point in taking the children before they are able to take best advantage of what's on offer.

If you do take your 3 year old get them along to your local dry slope or fridge for a few sessions before you go as you'll have a lot better idea of how they'll take to it then.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I won't add to the accommodation debate as you've already got masses of options here and it sounds like the Esprit package which you were looking at would be perfect.

One piece of advice though, which a surprising number of people ignore, is ask the ski school what he needs and make sure that he has it. They are used to teaching young children and their recommendations are usually useful and spot-on - esprit will be able to tell you this if you book with them.

At 3 it is really upsetting if your whole group go for hot chocolate on a cold day, and you can't have one because your parents didn't know to put €5 in your pocket!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Crystal have several club hotels which offer a full range of childcare options. Either am only, am with lunch, pm only or full day childcare.
They also offer a whizzkids package where you drop them off in the morning, and the staff look after them, take them to lessons 10-12, pick them up, feed them, and then childcare/creche in the afternoon. They also include an hour of pyjama club in the evening to enable parents to enjoy an evening meal in peace!
Several of their hotels have interconnecting rooms also, which is a bonus.
Thoroughly enjoyed Claviere (at the grand claviere hotel) over New Year a few years back, and are going to Flaine on Christmas eve this year. Our 3yr old and 5yr old are both going for the whizzkids option this time- lessons am and creche pm. Hopefully they will have a good experience, and want to go again.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Am a mum of a nearly seven and nearly nine year old and have been taking mine skiing for four years now. I was about to start rattling off loads of advice about the skiing with littl'uns, as am getting to feel an old hand with it now - organisation is the key as well as great chalet and good childcare - ideally English. Smaller companies are better (Chilly Powder was ace, Ski Magic, Ski Famille & Family Ski Company). Chocolate in pocket is essential. Driving to Alps is best way to go. But I'd be typing for ages, and most of it has been said.

BUT - to get to the point - our big group, that is booked to go to 3 valleys on March 10, has had a drop out that means I have a family room I need to fill...
Current party 10 adults, 2 x 9 yr old, 1 x 7 yr old, 1 x nearly 4 yr old, 1 x baby. Yes I take them out of school and will continue to do so.
Doing a mixture of ski school esf and private nannies - all set up.
Interested?
PM me if think yeah and want details of which chalet and costs.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hello,
Thanks swishwithme, but we have booked! Going to Alpe d'huez with Esprit. Very excited. 3 year old booked into lessons AND snowclub. We will just have to take him out if he finds it too much and chalk it up to experience. Our other friends are coming too so should be good.

Hope you get someone to fill the place, sounds great!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I hope you have a great time. Can you post back your review of that place as I was considering that one when I thought we might be able to find the money. I am still hoping I might for next season
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy