Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What lessons/childcare for a just 3 year old?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I wonder if the collective wisdom on here can help me - we are looking to go skiing in March as a family. We will have an 18 month old and a just turned 3 year old then.

Have been looking at ski esprit, which is (just) within our budget (i.e we have a reasonable budget, and know it's going to be expensive!)

Main concern is the three year old - if we go with esprit he can either take lessons and snowclub in the afternoon or just lessons in the afternoon or nursery (just as he will be just young enough, they only take them up to 40 months). Our daughter (18 month old) would have to go in nursery for 6 full days (they don't do any flexible childcare, e.g just afternoons to match son's potential lessons).

So, my question is, is he likely to find lessons too much? And would lessons plus the snowclub really really be too much? Ideally we would like him to experience a bit of skiing, and playing in the snow, which he may not get so much of from the nursery setting (plus he would be the oldest and we are a bit worried he would find this a bit boring with lots of babies and children of his sisters age!)

Does anyone have any alternatives to esprit they could recommend? We looked at snowbizz, which look great apart from that it's in individual appartments which put us off a bit as we are imagining ourselves being holed up with the kids asleep in the evening on our own, also we may be looking at going with one to two other families so a catered chalet/chalet hotel (with baby listening service) where we all could be/hang out in the evening is appealing. Esprit look great but are obviously expensive and the fact that we would have to book our daughter in for 6 full days when actually we'd quite like to spend some of the time all as a family makes it seem a bit of a waste (though I think the cost of nursery through esprit is probably quite reasonable compared to, say, getting a nanny)

We also looked at ski2, and my husband ruled it out for some reason I cannot now remember rolling eyes

In addition we'd quite like to be somewhere where having two rooms for us to sleep is possible without being prohibitively expensive...the idea of 4 of us in a room for a very expensive holiday is a bit galling - though obviously appreciate space is always at a premium on skiing hols. Esprit seem to do quite good deals on getting an extra room - and I think in general this might be difficult to achieve with lots of catered chalet companies?

Anyway if anyone has any thoughts please help, we are discovering having kids to take adds a whole extra layer of complexity that is making my head hurt!

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi clairet,
The missus and I went with Espirit last year in December to Courchevel with our eldest who was 1 at the time and our experience was brilliant - the Espirit staff took all the stress out of taking Jnr away with us and we're going again in January, this time with 2 kids (a hobby more expensive than skiing!). Jnr will be 2 and a bit, while JnrJnr will be about 8 months. Know that this doesn't really answer your original Q about ski lessons for your eldest but we certainally saw 3yo's going out for basic lessons and snow fun. We're planning on both of ours being in the nursery group, but taking eldest out on some play skis for some sliding about. Keep it fun, and keep it short seems to be the rule of thumb for the little 'uns.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think you have a few options - you can either book childcare through a TO or direct with resort.

Re TOs, try Le Ski - they have a wonderful creche in La Tania from what I can remember. Chalets are of excellent standard to.

I've been doing quite a bit of research on this recently - we have a 4 year old and a 2 year old and are planning a career break next year. We have decided to bite the bullet and spend a month of this in Whistler.

I did look Courchevel up though and I'm sure you will find something similar across other European resorts. ESF can take your 18-month old into one of their creches - they will offer a mixture of snow play, indoor playing etc (they also provide lunch / snacks).

Same story for ski school - I think at that age, variety (and staying warm) is key. If you have chosen a resort don't just rely on what the TO offers - Google "in-resort childcare", compare prices and facilities etc.

Not sure where you live but we're in manchester and our 4 year old has just started lessons at the Chill Factore- 50 mins every Sunday. He's absolutely loving it.

You may want to try this in the UK to make sure your eldest has the ski bug before you commit to anything?

Re costs have you though about self-catering / DIYing it. Owners Direct list some good properties across Europe.

All the best!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We had a holiday this summer in Canada, which we DIYed, this was amazing but we fancy being taken care of a bit this time - it was quite hard work organizing everything ourselves with 2 kids, the idea of using a child friendly TO really appeals (particularly to me as I am lazy). Though I would consider a self-catering appt which we could share with our friends MAYBE but if they bail out I think it will be more sociable for us to be in a chalet/chalet hotel so we have other people to chat to, seeing as we won't easily be able to go out for the night!

V jealous of month in Whistler by the way! We only want a weeks skiing so don't think it'd be worth going there with the little ones and their jetlag (not to mention ours) but would love to go there again one day (we were there this summer)

Richard - thanks, v reassuring re Esprit. I think they may be the way to go....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
These sound like familiar dilemmas (well, annual ones for us, with a now 5 year old and a 1yr old). Our daughter had her first lessons when she was 3 and a few months, but we just organised the odd private lesson, and then practiced with her, which we felt was enough. That doesn't solve the challenge of care for the other child, or for the 3 year old when they want a rest and you want a ski. But I wonder if costing up an English speaking nanny for half the time (which I believe is possible for some places - Les Gets?) would then give you play time with the youngest and as a whole family, and then instead of a chalet having a self catering apartment with the rooms you need, might work out similar in price? Or at least, you might be then spending the money on getting the thing you actually want. Doesn't solve the evenings and going out side of things, although booking privately, we have had some really nice spacious apartments where hanging out with friends or ourselves (and a bottle or two), has been fab, and just what was needed on a mountain holiday with little ones. Either way, persist! Going up and down a green slope at Samoens 1600 for 3 hours with my 3 year old actually rates as one of my best ski experiences so far.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree that a chalet sounds the best for your family situation - more sociable for you and the kids.

I understand the concerns about a just 3 year old. The weather could make a big difference - could be ferociously cold and windy, or bright and sunny and mild.

I suspect I'd go for lessons for the 3 year old, if he is fairly strong and bouncy (if they are good with kids they'll not expect much of a 3 year old!) and then take your daughter out of nursery and relax as a family in the afternoon. Most 18 month old kids will be glad to see Mum and Dad - and might need a nap, as might the 3 year old after a morning of ski lessons. A rest all together, then an hour out playing together in the snow before it gets too cold and dark might work well. Does mean you're paying for nursery you're not using, but that's obviously non negotiable.

DIY with young kids is OK if you have like-minded friends with similar age kids, or a family party (these days, as skiing grandparents, we do a fair bit of child-care wink ) but could be a bit isolating, as a nuclear family. We didn't ski when ours were so young (couldn't afford it!) and though we camped in Africa with a 2 and 4 year old, that's a piece of cake compared to organising a ski holiday! They don't need so many clothes, for a start. Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Going up and down a green slope at Samoens 1600 for 3 hours with my 3 year old actually rates as one of my best ski experiences so far.

snowHead snowHead snowHead so nice to hear that! It's such a shame when people go for day-long child care and miss out on that kind of thing.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We did Esprit with our two eldest when they were both very little (just turned 3 and 8 months) and were very pleased. The three year old had lessons and went to the snow club in the afternoon and the 8 month old was in nursery all day. It worked very well and we did take them both out of the afternoon care on a couple of occasions to do stuff together as a family (or nothing at all!). The one word of warning that I have is that the three year old found lessons and snow club tiring (although loved every minute of it).

If it's already in your budget, I'd try not to think about the "lost" nursery fees by taking them out, but rather make the most of doing family stuff together (bum boarding was a big favourite I recall Very Happy )

Good luck!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clairet, hello.

We have tried most options.

Esprit is very good and we have been with them lots.

Can a 3 year old start skiing- yes. Is it a good idea to get a 3 year old skiing- depends. Will he cope? Will you cope? I have to say again- is he continent? Will it be too cold? Can he cope with new people/being told what to do?

As for childcare and baby- there are a couple of options. Option 1- bite teh bullet guilt wise shout yipee and ski as long as you can, enjoy a meal together on the slopes and pick up at the last possible moment. Option 2 bite the bullet financially- pay for 6 full days childcare and use less.

What ever you do- enjoy yourselves.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you can afford Esprit, then go with them. What they offer is excellent, if a bit rigid if you don't fit their model.

As others have suggested, you can do it yourself. But it will take you a fair while to organise something even remotely comparable, and even then you will get far less skiing in for yourself/wife than if you go with Esprit.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
we were also with Richard_Sideways in Courchevel in Dec. Our girls were 1 and 4, and they had a brilliant time. We did consider going with them the previous year and were a bit concerned about the requirement of your child to be able to take themself to the bathroom, having now been my daughter would have been fine (the reason we didnt go was practicalities of me coming back to feed the youngest due to her age.)

I can honestly say it was the first holiday that felt like a holiday since having kids, the staff were great with the girls, Ellie our eldest was asking to go to snow club from 7:30 in the morning and the day we collected here early ( straight after her lesson) I had a massive tantrum because she wanted to stay with her friends.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I had a massive tantrum because she wanted to stay with her friends.

come come, NickyJ, that's no way to behave!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Clairet,

Lot's of options and lots of things depend on how you want to spend your holiday. We are parents who have always loved spending time (even though sometimes frustrating) with our children. When they were really young (pre walking or skiing) we preferred to stay in a catered chalet with a group of friends and family. This meant you didn't have to worry about cooking, and there was usually a volunteer or two so that one person didn't miss out on the skiing.

Once the eldest was old enough to ski (3), she was in ski school in the morning but no more. Then perhaps a little bit of post school ski play, lunch with whoever had arranged to be there, swap duties with other half (or willing volunteer) then children back to chalet for rest/food/play.

We pretty much repeated this till both were old enough to be more independent (they are now 10 and 6), the both ski greens/blues/reds (with the youngest only previously agreed reds).

There are lots of parents, and they are not wrong or bad, just different to us, who will deposit there children with the nanny, nursery, ski school at 8.30 and pick them up at 5.30. I'm not knocking it, it's just not what our house call a family holiday.

Anyway back to the point. 3 is old enough to ski, but they'll be tired after a morning ski, depending on the weather it can be really cold, but the ski school should be geared up for that so as long as they have spare gloves/creams etc etc shouldn't be too much of a problem. Getting most 3 year olds into ski school can be traumatic but as mentioned on other threads the trick is to bite bottom lip, walk in give child kiss and cuddle, deposit with ski school and walk away to screaming child with a tear in your eye. Honest it's the best way sometimes.

As for TO's to recommend we went with Esprit to Courchevel last season and while not exactly cheap I can wholeheartedly say it was fantastic for both of our children and we also enjoyed it alot. They are really geared up for children and do it well. If you want your children looked after from 9am till 11pm then they will do that. Our youngest was so besotted by her school chaperone (Esprit send one of their staff with every class), that she cried when we told her we were going again but that Natalie probably wouldn't be there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thankyou all for your responses, and sorry was offline last night so couldn't reply.

You are all reassuring me that Esprit will be good if we decide to splash out and go with them. And will it actually be that much cheaper if we do it ourselves once we have factored in transfers, food, childcare possibly being slightly more expensive...hmmm, not sure would have to cost it up. We have DIYed lots of times before but we have been once since our son was born, where we DIYed too. And not being wise to skiing with kids, although we knew how to do cheap apartment, transfers, etc, we paid through the nose for 2 days childcare and 2 nights babysitting! And it was hard work and I didn't really enjoy it (in part due to being pregnant, slightly ill son, bad sleep, etc) Hmmm...so I think we are willing to splash out on having it all organised for us.

bailliesmiths how did it work out with your just 3 year old? Was/is she an adventurous, does she do as she's told well by strangers, and how did the taking themselves to the toilet work? Basically ed's questions are reminding me of some of my worries! My son is still in nappies, we have tried but failed once to train him - but I am willing to take a risk that he will be toilet trained by March! But I am concerned about them "taking themselves" - is this to an adult toilet and entirely on their own - as I think that sounds very tough in skiing clothes (side question, do you put them in skiing trousers only rather than dungaree style salopettes for this reason?) In addition my son is good with strangers, I think he is probably average at doing as he is told, but I don't think he is particularly advanced physically (though probably average at climbing, etc) and he is also VERY short so likely to look a lot younger than the others in his group (though I suspect this won't bother him).

I think we are probably willing to just book lots of childcare and then not care if we don't use it all. ansta I think we will fall somewhere between what you do and those who use childcare from dawn to dusk. We have been on a few holidays since kids and not been on one like this with lots of childcare, so let's face it - it's mostly for us not the kids (though hoping son will enjoy the skiing obviously).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh and Esprit's ski lessons are in the afternoon, which is annoying, as although I understand the cold issue, he's likely to be tired and less receptive to something like that in the afternoon.
ski holidays
clairet, In courchevel the childrens lessons are in the morning which for us was ideal as we could ski adults only in the morning and then with the kids in the afternoon if we were that way inclined.
snow report
With kids that age the chalet with care model should work well.

There's a few of them around - Le Ski, Ski Beat, Family Ski Company, Family Friendly Skiing and of course Esprit.

Our neighbours (now with a 4.5 yr old and 2 yr old) have been the last few years with Esprit and say it works really well for them.

We've been the last three years with Family Friendly Skiing (since our eldest was 12 months old). Their model is slightly different - the carers/nannies come and base themselves in your chalet for the week- makes life much easier. They will also ski school pick up etc if the kids have lessons. The rooms/chalets are fairly basic (ie not luxury) although most have hottub/sauna, but it all works pretty well and the staff (both chalet staff and nannies) have always been good. The first few years we tended to ski most of the day, but this year we tended to come back early each day and play with the kids outside the chalet - our eldest had just turned 3 this year and we didn't bother with lessons but as he was a bit older he was taken out and about by the nannies alot more every day - eg. on the bus to softplay in Courchevel 1850 or up the la tania gondola or bum boarding etc. We did get him ski's though and took him ourselves just for half an hour or so at the nursery area on a few days, just to play in the snow and get used to wearing planks. He quite enjoyed it and we could get him sliding around on the flat and getting on/off the travelator but he couldnt really do much more than that - about half an hour / 45 mins was about his limit even though I'd say he's quite active/hardy (runs around like a loon normally). This year he'll be just 4 and we'll probably go for the 2 hour lessons.

I think Le Ski and ski beat have the creche model with a creche in the basement of one of the chalets.

We have other freinds who've used Family Ski Company and really rate them. I think with Family Ski Company the nannies stay with kids at ski school to help with toiletting etc.... Not sure if esprit do the same ?
ski holidays
when we took ours with esprit at 3 - the snowclub seemed to be more fun than the nursery option

ski lessons are not much at three - they just went around in the ski park - but to be fair playing in the snow seemed to be more fun than the skiing side and of more interest ( mind you that all changed by the time he reached 5 )

regarding childcare - dont rule out crystal as in our experience they are just as capable.

crystal have an excellent hotel in claviere ( went last year and returning this year ) called the grand claviere - it has massive family rooms that accomodate 4 beds ( full size) - and still have room for a few more the kids seemed to have fun so it may be worth a look.

as for esprit - we have NEVER had a bad experience with them in 7 trips , we usually take him out for the other half of the day when he is not having ski lessons at least a couple of times so he can ski with us and show off what he has learnt.

one thing to note - make sure that you check that they want to come out with you - if there is a really fun thing planned that they want to do you may have to forgo family time as you will be spoiling the fun ( toboganning followed by hot chocolate with marshmellows seemed to be one of those must do activities !!!!! ) - and we were not invited ;-(

we have also not had a bad experience with crystal yet on the childcare front 3 trips - soon to be 4 - so you could consider them too - they seem to run more snuggle clubs in the evenings which are handy if you need them.

when they are very young ( in nursery) - i dont think there is anything different in the care provided , from 3-6 ( and in ski school) - the big advantage of esprit is that the carers go to the skiclub /school with thtem and STAY - this is not always the case with crystal.

from 6 onwards i dont think this is necessary - although in claviere last year i noticed that they on occasion went out with the kids ( but not every day ) - i did notice that the italian skischool had more tha one instructor with every group of kids though ( not seen that before)

dont be put off by comments about allday childcare - its usually better to have it booked and take them out when they want/you need to
than get caught out because you cannot get back in time/cannot get childcare in resort and then have to try to compromise in resort.

just to add ours is now 7.5 - he starts asking in august when he is going skiing again - we have just had to get all the gear out so he can check its all ok and he doesnt need anything - he has tested his boots , and we have just had to get him new skis because he is bigger and taller.
and this year he is going to take US down the red to show us how to do it - they soon get the bug !!!!!
snow conditions
Thanks gazzza, just looked at family ski and I think they will work out too expensive. Prices are similar to esprit but without travel or much of a child discount.
ski holidays
How confusing, two [b]gazza[\b]s Thanks, will check out Crystal too. We have had mediocre holidays with them years ago though, and the carers helping in the skiclub/school is reassuring. I am not worried about my younger one being in nursery, she is currently very easily pleased, goes to nursery now and loves it.
ski holidays
also note that there are a LOT of free child deals with crystal versus esprit
ski holidays
Another name to throw into the mix - Ski Famille, who don't include flights, but whose package contains everything else - transfers from and to the airport, fully catered chalet accommodation, childcare included all day, six days a week and plenty of other little things that have made our last four holidays a joy even with our children (from 6 months up to currently 4). They have gorgeous luxury chalets in both Les Gets and Reberty (Les Menuires), and I honestly have never been able to make the price and experience match with Crystal or Esprit.

There are other companies that do it cheaper, and there are other ways to do it as well - but for me, Ski Famille hit the mark perfectly on both price and package. My wife, who is an Ofsted inspector of nurseries, also says that it's the only company we've used in whose childcare she is completely confident.
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
clairet, In courchevel the childrens lessons are in the morning which for us was ideal as we could ski adults only in the morning and then with the kids in the afternoon if we were that way inclined.

That is the for the older ones. The 3/4 yr olds are in the afternoon so that it is warmer.
latest report
Thanks Nicky, I guess they know best, though our son still naps in the afternoon (though can go without).
fasteddie they look great, but they are quite pricey! I do think it'd come to more than a cheaper option with esprit once you've paid for flights.
snow report
My daughter dropped her afternoon nap just before turning 3 and she kept her nap longer than most her peers so I wouldnt be suprised by March if he wont need it then.
snow conditions
Yeah, have been thinking he'll drop it for months now, same with the bloody toilet training.
Actually, wouldn't mind an afternoon nap myself.
snow report
clairet, Esprit was greatbwi our kids and the youngest started when she was 3. She had a great time in les gets even though the weather was not that great. Everyone kids are different but the staff looked after our two and we also stayed in a chalet. But be warned when they are older and you can't get them out of school the whole thing becomes so expensive..... For now though have fun with them. We have some great ski holiday memories with the kids when they were younger
latest report
clairet wrote:
Yeah, have been thinking he'll drop it for months now, same with the bloody toilet training.
Actually, wouldn't mind an afternoon nap myself.

Same here Happy although my 2yr old still has one my eldest doesnt and when she is at school, I am work ...... probably wouldnt go down well if I had one there!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote for Esprit, when kids are litle they really are great (apologies to any other companies that are great too). At the risk of sounding ant-french we had better experiences in Selva and St Anton with little ones than we did with Tignes (not ESF) and Tignes (ESF). My daughter was a more reluctant skier than her brother until we took her to St Anton (with Ski Total but Esprit are there too).

Once kids are slightly older (ie 5) St Anton Ski School do all day lessons inc lunch. Our daughter's instructor was one of the most helpful and caring instructors the kids have had.

Re cost, if you hold your nerve esprit can be reasonably priced. Currently £2400 for 9 nights at New Year for family of four in Les Arcs (2000 I think)
snow conditions
From what I have seen around the village in Les Gets the children with Ski Famille and Esprit all seem to be having a good time. Certainly Ski Famille appear to have a very good ratio of 'nannies' to children and they all look happy. Happier than some small children being dragged round the slopes by their parents when they are obviously cold, tired and hungry.
snow report
a longer effort:

we have been on lots of ski holidays with kids over the last 9 years. Staring awhen youngest 4 months and being fed by Mrs Ed. n Since then assorted DIY trips with friends with more kids and DIY childcare (ie us/friends or once a nanny- about 5 weeks) Mark Warner with childcare(about 7 weeks over 4 holidays) Crystal (2 weeks) and Esprit with childcare - various options from total childcare to almost none (ie ski school only for one of 3 children- oldest sking with one of us whilst the other looked after baby all day and middle child as well lunch and pm). In total with Esprit lots (Chamonix twice, les Arcs, Peisey, le Ross and Sass Fee twice in summer).

Big advantage of Esprit is other kids and other adults with kids- ie no miserable Mad :X Be Nice please! with no kids who get annoyed with the little Be Nice please! Mad Mad.

Re continence- try a sneaky nappy or just accept having to take 2 ski suits and remember to tip the pee out of the ski boots as they can get a bit stinky if left for toooo long.
ski holidays
We took our 3 year old skiing for the first time last year, he was 2 months short of 4 though. He did do some private lessons at our local Xscape beforehand, and I would recommend this.

We went to Morzine, and stayed in a catered chalet, he was the only kid there, but it worked out ok, and he was pretty well behaved and joined in with the other adults. We were there with 4 friends as well.

He went to the Piou Piou club in the mornings with ESF, which was in a snow garden, for about 2.5 hours. In this time they did some skiing, would go back inside for a snack and then out skiing again. Not sure how long they were inside for, as you know a 3 year old doesn't tell you much! We would only see him skiing when we went to pick him up if we were there a bit early.

Ours had a bit of a walk to ski school which I would avoid at all costs, we didn't expect it to be as far and didn't help with a hill thrown in on the way. At least he could walk in his snow boots but we had to walk in our boots with skis, plus his skis and boots plus always in a hurry, as ours is not a normal early riser kid!

He was the only English speaking kid in his group, but it didn't seem to bother him, and when speaking directly to him it was always in English. The bits we watched with the Piou Piou club were quite good, I've read some bad reports, but the young guys teaching them seemed o have a good rappore with our son. Also one afternoon one of the female instructors recognised our wee one and shouted out to him saying well done etc. which I was surprised at given the number of children that go through the school on a daily basis. I wouldn't say he loved the ski school, he always seemed happy when we watched him in it, but sometimes would look a bit glum when we picked him up, but to be honest, it may have all been due to tiredness, as he never once said I don't want to go.

We were advised that he had to be toilet trained, we were ok in that area, but I've read on here of some people where kids are just trained so a bit unsure of how they'll cope and they've been advised by other to put on a pull up just incase. Perhaps even just limit liquid beforehand and ensure he goes to toilet, he may well be fine the 2.5 hours anyway. I don't think our 3 yr old was expected to go to the toilet on their own, I don't think mine could have without a bit of help, he def wouldn't have been able to button his salopettes back up, but then again, he may have been able to just pull them down. I am also guessing that mine didn't go to the toilet while there.

Later on in the week in the afternoons, we took him up to a nursery area after a gondola trip up. Think it was just the last two days we did this, I don't think we skied with him at all in the afternoon prior to this as we just felt he was too tired and had enough of skiing for one day. It had a travellator, and he skied for a few hours on this and loved it. By this time he was doing controlled snow plough turns, following my turns, and stopping easily.We also took him down a wee trip to a bar for lunch, but my husband just skied holding him in between his legs, but meant we were able to take him a trip and he loved it. We sat at this bar for a few hours and he just played in the snow sliding down a wee hill next to it having a ball!

2months later just before his 4th birthday we did a 2nd trip to Pila (getting as much skiing in before he goes to school!) The ski school had finished for the season, so we booked a private, but he just wouldn't go, kept saying he can ski, so we had to go with him on the lesson, and just skied in the background as far back as we could but enough so he knew we were there. After that he just skied with us and came on really well. We got one of the ski harness things, not to help with his skiing (well we weren't sure how much we'd use it when we bought it) but it was great for getting from A to B when we weren't quite sure how he'd cope. For example there was a chair right next to our hotel, otherwise we'd have quite an uphill walk on ski boots to the next lift, but the one next to our hotel took us up to a road style run, and I wasn't keen on the drop at the side, even if netted off, so we would put the harness on him, so we could stop him if he ventured too near the edge, he was fine in the end up but we just didn't know how he would be. It was also great if we were going down a few different linked runs, if one had a steeper bit we weren't too sure about with him, we could put the harness on. So great if you want to get to that recommended bar but there is a steep section!! The harness that goes over them is great on its own without the rein, for lifting up when they fall or holding onto on the chairlift. At the end of that holiday we forced him into another lesson! (Harsh parents!) Basically he was getting some bad habits, was starting to get a bit too cocky and my heart was in my mouth, so I said if he wants to do those things he can do them with an instructor as we can't teach him! So he did and enjoyed it! Was doing some wee jumps through the woods. By the end he was skiing blues comfortably and did an easy red (well it did take us to a great bar!).

Sorry if the end of this is a bit more to do with how our 3 year old came on with his skiing, but thought you may be interested in what you can expect.
ski holidays
WE offer a "creche week" every year in the Italian Dolomites here : www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/albergo-frohsinn which offers fantastic childcare in a really fun environment for the kids at very affordable rate and a sociable atmosphere for parents. Due to the location of the chlaet (right on the piste next to a gondola) means it's easy for parents to meet up with kids at lunch time where they are taken to the great restaurant at the top of the gondola if they want to or rest assured that the kids are being looked after. The kids play outside as much as they like, with great playgrounds outside the restaurants and a fantastic sledge run that runs from the top of the gondola to outside the chalet. It's just for one week in the season and this year at the end of March so not sure if the dates work for you ...

I have heard excellent things about Esprit too - and when I stayed with them once (before I had a child) the kids seemed to be having a ball and being very well looked after and entertained ...
snow report
Sorry - off topic but I just looked at your website Joanne (as I'm trying to convince my wife we NEED Happy a second ski holiday in March) and I can't help but comment....

An exchange rate supplement! Now I've seen it all.

So I book with you and pay you my hard earned cash months in advance but then if when I arrive the euro has fallen slightly you expect me to pay you more cash on arrival in resort - 63 euros for a family of 2 adults 2kids. Flashback to the early 90's with airline fuel surcharges and people being stung at the check in desk. And I note if the exchange rate moves in your favour you don't offer to pay some back, so you use your customers to protect your downside risk and pocket the difference on the upside.

I accept that 63 euros in the grand scheme of total ski holiday cost is not massive, but sorry I would never book a package holiday on those T&C's out of principle - it wouldn't be a great start to my holiday having your rep demand a hand full of my euros the day I arrive. I'm sure the rest of your service is great, and your chalet location looks good, but really...

Seriously - you should fix your price at the time of booking like most(every?) other tour operator.

If I'm going DIY and not paying everything in advance I might expect some fluctuation - if I'm paying a tour operator up-front for a package holiday I expect to know my holiday cost when I book. Sorry. Sad
snow report
Blimey gilly[\b] your son sounds amazing! I wasn't imagining my son actually doing much skiing to be honest, just more standing around on skis and maybe getting pulled around on a basically flat lift type thing or something.

In addition neither my husband or I ski, we both snowboard, (though my husband likes to think he can ski, having done two days of it) so could be a problem for teaching him/helping him (i.e. not sure if there would be an equivalent of skiing with him between our legs..)

Thanks [b]joanne
I think we were looking at going earlier in March but not dead set on it so could work...
snow report
Sorry about that, not sure what I did wrong with my bolds there.
latest report
When we wen there were only 3 in the spritelets they used those clip things at the front so that there skis didn't get too far apart. The three yr old boy was going down the nusery slopes without it though Ellie still needed them. They had them going up the travelator lifts and down without holding onto the instructor by then end of the week.
snow report
ed thanks for extra response, was wondering if could get away with pull up nappy. The lots of kids things works both ways though - other people's kids - arghghghghg! Very Happy (obviously mine are angels)
snow report
Yes - we took pull-ups when ours was three - dont forget the swim ones if theres a pool - you have no chance of getting
those in resort

dont forget to take lots of those little packs of buttons too - remember to put 2-3 in the littlones jacket ( and check they know how to find them)

they like that - and its handy to keep spirits up

we also use to give our 3 euros in coins - in case they stop for hot chocolate.

if you have one - pack a bum-board they take up no weight, and come into their own with all that snow
also remember that if your child has its own seat - its entitled to handluggage ( usually) - and that means an extra bag.

you could try a trunki - google it if you have never seen one - the kids LOVE to ride them around in the airports
latest report
Some of the smaller family friendly operator's have bum boards and sledges in the chalets that you can use - so worth checking with whomever you book with.
The one we go with even has pushchairs you can use if you havebn't lugged yours over there.

+1 for the trunki for airports - though don't do what I did when ours was 2.5/3 and pull away too quick if they are sat on it - I managed to walk off pulling the trunki leaving our 2.5 yr hanging mid-air falling off the back of the thing onto his back on the airport floor. Luckily he didn't whack his head and he is pretty hardy so it was all over in a few tears, but I did look like the cretin and it would've been a different story had he cracked his head open - helmet debate anybody rolling eyes

Good idea re. the mini packs of choc buttons too - think I will do that this year. (for me as well the kids Happy)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy