Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flights to Zurich or Geneva at Christmas!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Thanks to all the advice on here, have decided to forget trip in November and switch to Christmas instead!

Could anyone recommend whether I should book flights to Zurich or Geneva? I am looking for a resort as close as possible to either Zurich or Geneva (but don't mind a couple of hours train ride) - ideally for beginners. Only going for a couple of days, so don't need many slopes (preferable a resort that has cheaper passes for the beginner areas). Which resorts are best for snow sure beginners areas?!

Thanks for your help
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
munchimo, what dates are you looking at? It's a busy time (though not as busy as New Year) and you might struggle to find accommodation for just a couple of days in the French resorts near Geneva. Can't advise on Zurich - maybe resorts near Zurich will be more flexible, though also more expensive, thanks to the strength of the swiss franc.

One place very near Geneva with good skiing for beginners, and pretty snow sure, is Flaine. It's pretty snow sure but not pretty - maybe that won't matter?

Where have you skied in the past?

On the whole, short trips will cost you a lot more, per ski-mile, than a standard week trip.

You might get a good last minute bargain with a tour operator.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why not Munich or Innsbruck and go to zillertal area.

you will find Zurich very expensive given the current CHF exchange rates.

Or fly to Friedrichshafen or Memmingham and do St Anton or Bregenzerwald area.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know it will be expensive, but I only want to go Christmas Day and Boxing Day, and I can get an early and late flight to Geneva/ Zurich for a good price on those dates. Switzerland not my first choice as I know it's expensive, but flight timings/ prices and transfers didn't seem to work out for Austria/ France. Also, I want to use the train for transfers, and they seem to be running all day even then. (I am saving my holiday for my ski trip with my friends early next year, just taking my son for a couple of days!)
I don't mind scenic, I just need a (gentle but snowy) slope or two to ski down so my son will be happy! I have skied Oslo, Les Houches, Mutters and Oberstaufen.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Actually, Pam w - Flaine looks like may be a v good suggestion! Transfers are quite expensive (do you think they go Christmas day as well?) - but I like the sound of the free beginners lifts!! Do you think it will all be open and running at Christmas?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have found accommodation in Andermatt and Laax - which of those would anyone recommend? Do either have blue slopes fairly high up? Thanks a lot
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
munchimo, Laax is a good place, plenty of skiing, lots of blues, and it does go up to 3000m. Piste map http://www.laax.com/en/interactive-map/interactive-map.html#/Pisten-Anlagen/section1
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
munchimo, i'd second Laax - good skiing area, snow-sure up top and easy transfer from zurich (train and short bus ride)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
are these places really open on xmas day, I would have expected them all to be shut
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
munchimo, If you are only going for a short 2 day trip then I wouldn't have thought that the overall holiday cost of going to Switzerland rather than say France or Austria would be all that much, as major elements of the cost such as flight and transfer would be pretty similar wherever you went.

If you do go to Switzerland then Swiss International Air Lines offer frequent flights to both Geneva and Zurich (and if you've got your own skis note they include free ski carriage) see www.swiss.com Of course Switzerland also offers you train transfers to resort (there are train stations at both Geneva and Zurich airports). Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
munchimo user Posts: 45 Location: United Kingdom I have found accommodation in Andermatt and Laax - which of those would anyone recommend? Do either have blue slopes fairly high up? Thanks a lot

Munchimo, when working out which resorts are best to reach by train, I'd recommend the SkiRail Map of the Alps (and not purely because I helped put it together!). It provides details on over 120 resorts with train stations including all the usual skiing statistics, and the journey time by train to the nearest big city.
You can see a sample of the map here http://rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Product_Information.aspx?area=SkiRail_Product_Information - Geneva is just to the east and Zurich to the north.
Of the two you mentioned, only Andermatt has a station, and it's just under 2 hours journey from Zurich. I was there last winter - it's a fantastic unspoilt little place and, yes, there are blue slopes nice and high. There are lots of other little places within a 20-30 minute train ride (on the spectacular Glacier Express route) which I think are covered on the Andermatt lift pass such as Natschen and Oberalppass. I would love to spend Christmas in Andermatt!
Laax would take a little longer to reach by public transport - it's a train ride to Chur then an hour's bus ride up the mountain.
Neil Neige
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok, so now I have definitely decided Zurich! But how can I choose between Laax and Andermatt - they both sound great?! Which is better for a contained beginners area? I like the short slopes that my son can go up and down and I don't lose sight of him!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
make sure you can do any transfer by public transport given your travel dates - they might have somewhat / extremely restricted timetables
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I didn't see any obvious learner areas at resort level and I can't see any on the Piste map either. I stayed at Laxx Murschegt though rather than Flims (which I skied down to several times). There must be some though somewhere.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stevev wrote:
are these places really open on xmas day, I would have expected them all to be shut

On a bank holiday when the world and his wife is actually free to go skiing? You kid, no? But seriously, "Christmas" - presents, meal - happens on the evening of Christmas Eve in Germanic areas so 25th Dec is just another bank holiday

I like Laax but then I'm biased because I have a place there. It may even be quicker and cheaper to hire a car for a couple of days for the transfer
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy