Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Have the economic conditions affected your ski plans?

Poster: A snowHead
We were hoping to teach for a week then use the money from that to stay on for a weeks hols. That hasn't worked out unfortunately Sad

We have three days in Tignes in November, then as a result of a bargain offer we are going to Italy for a week at the end of Feb. My dilemma now is that a friend who I would like to ski with has offered me a week or long weekend at her apartment in the Grand Massif. It would be not long after Xmas when I will be even more skint than usual and daughters car insurance will be due. Shall I just say s*d it and go anyway or do the responsible thing and not go skiing?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jocrad, but same difference. whatever size apartment you want, you pay for the apartment, and "under occupancy" doesn't come into it. I can't stand sleeping in the living room either, whether in a "studio" apartment or a bigger one. My OH is usually in bed by 9 pm and I am up till midnight - so a studio would be a disaster. He also needs a spare bed to escape from my snoring if necessary. Embarassed

I think for self-catering holidays, DIY often works best - it's so easy now, with the internet, and the standard of accommodation available covers every possible need, from basic to luxury. Some owners (especially British ones) ask silly prices, but it's easy enough to shop around. In our development, out of the 6 key holiday weeks, a high-spec 2 bedroom apartment, ski in/out, costs about £450. They sleep 4 or 5 in the two bedrooms (and usually a sofa bed too, for people who want even cheaper). http://www.locapart-lessaisies.com/planning.htm
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kitty wrote:
Shall I just say s*d it and go anyway or do the responsible thing and not go skiing?

How does the saying go, to paraphrase " No one on their death bed was glad they did less skiing"

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 25-10-11 20:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kitty, Yes, go!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As previous years I am going for four weeks split into two visits but i will have to work an extra 2/3 days to cover the additional cost this year due to the exchange rate not being as good .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

No one on their death bed was glad they did less skiing

Maybe not (unless they're down a lonely crevasse.....). But someone well short of their death bed, having to pay an unexpected big bill to keep their essential vehicle on the road, might wish they'd given it a miss last year. wink

Borrowing money, or dipping into really essential "rainy day savings" to go on a holiday - any kind of holiday - does seem crazy, and is the kind of thing which has got so many people into crippling debt. Like buying a sofa on the never-never, when there's not that much wrong with your old one.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ray Zorro, sorry to hear that but as Spud9 says
Spud9 wrote:
Ray Zorro, You'll just have to come to Scotland again then won't you.

See you on the West Wall eh Toofy Grin
cathy wrote:
This year it will be down to two weeks and possibly the weekend in Scotland....

Hopefully we'll see you there cathy Very Happy

I guess I'm in the fortunate position where skiing is relatively self financing as long as the instructing work comes in whilst I'm away in the hills, otherwise I'm sure I'd be cutting back too. It'll be interesting to see if we (as in Scotland) benefit again from the exchange rates and, more importantly, from more good snow this year. I'm also hoping to get out to Verbier at some point but only because a mate is spending the season out there and I think he might have space on his floor lol!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dwarf Vader wrote:
Kitty wrote:
Shall I just say s*d it and go anyway or do the responsible thing and not go skiing?

How does the saying go, to paraphrase " No one on their death bed was glad they did less skiing"
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am a hedge fund owner & I have just swapped Athens for the Three Valleys.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
moffatross, Laughing Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not really affected yet. It's a big number birthday for me next Feb and we've booked, as usual, for the GM. I intend to be skiing on the big day. Easter is also a possibility for Scotland, if conditions are good. As you get older you need to do as much as you can, you don't get the years back.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hells Bells wrote:
Dwarf Vader wrote:
Kitty wrote:

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not really affected ouir plans, still both working just and so things have continued pretty much the same this past year. So we're doing the same as last year with costs pretty much the same as last year too. We're now committed to the trip and funds pretty much good to cover it if anything suddenly changes so snow here we come Madeye-Smiley

Next season can be a different thing though - but you're only here once, so live it while you can.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
my ski plans have far more often affected my economic conditions rolling eyes wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm reversing that psychology barry. Since I've already splashed the cash on my first ever season pass, and in these hard times I'm told it's important to get a good return on investment, my updated business plan assumes that I get in at least 40 days instead of 30 this winter. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
No family holiday this year, just a couple of boys weekends. Cannot justify £3000 plus on a family ski holiday. Bummer.
snow conditions
We will be spending our usual weeks in the apartment, but will need to cut down on what we spend, particularly if we are with the kids as well. Cheaper hotel on journey down (no Formule 1's though), more picnic food in the car and less expensive mountain lunches are in order I think. And more meals in at night. Some things just can't be cut down on though, so there's a limit to how much we can save.
ski holidays
blahblahblah,

Quote:
Cannot justify £3000 plus on a family ski holiday. Bummer.

I find it far less painful to book and pay for things separately - for example booked the holiday some weeks ago, that was a bit of an 'ouch' but paid and forgotten about it now. Just about to book and pay for the lift passes, another ouch but will be done and paid.

Then equipment just before we go.

The important, nay, most important thing is never, never add up all the separate components. Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

never, never add up all the separate components

and never UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES attempt to work out how much ski-ing costs per minute on the snow (including the cost of all those you are paying for in order to be able to go, i.e. the cherubs)
ski holidays
It really costs about two hundred euro a day though doesn't it? Never tried to break it down to minutes, yet Little Angel

Really worrying to see the amount of people (myself included) who are answering 'yes' to this. Yet has anyone noticed a lift pass price going down?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy