Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski sunglasses

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

Im actually requesting on behalf of my Mum. She has used oakleys previously but unfortunately they have broken on here on holidays in the US and she is looking to find out whether it is worth getting something different while still there.

Someone has suggested her Maui Jim glasses..... they are about $200cad. To me this seems quite alot for a brand I have never heard of. Does anyone know them and if they are any good.

My Mum has also noted that the oakleys she has are not really adequate for skiing because they dont cut out enough light. So is there a specific oakley lens that might suit her better (sorry i dont know what she had, just know they are years old)?

Is there another brand or specific model worth considering for skiing?

Thanks!

Adam
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
buns, I've used Bolle sunglasses for a long time and been very satisfied, I've not heard of Maui Jim sunglasses either
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
specifically what lens DG?

Ive spotted a few lenses that look to be seriously high protection...... oakley gold iridium polarised and adidas space..... ny thoughts on those?

Thanks

Adam
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
buns, good question, for sun I'd suggest Gun Flash in the Bolle range, from memory it stops 100% of UV A and B, most infra red and blue light, I find them very effective in even the brightest sunlight
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Slightly off subject, my Smith sunglasses (don't know which model but they have 3 interchangeable lenses.) have snapped. I have tried gluing the frame with superglue but this doesn't hold and they come apart again. Anybody have a suggestion as to which glue might work?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
buns, Perhaps check out the prices here. http://www.gosportsspex.co.uk/
They do the Adidas Space lenses. Then she can check out US prices. Cool
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin, If superglue has failed to fix the break, then it's time to give up and choose a new pair. Retail therapy, hmmm nice Little Angel
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowbunny, But they are my favourites for Ski-ing and were b.....y expensive and what do I do with 3 pairs of spare lenses? I've got some Oakleys but they are not as good.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin, complain to Smith and see if you can get a new frame, I know Bolle can supply spare bits I guess Smith could do the same

Edited to put in correct makers name, thats what I get fro reading to many posts in the morning Embarassed

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 21-08-05 8:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin, M Coins has a pair of North Face sunglasses. They snapped but NF replaced them free of charge no hassle whatsoever. Said their sunglasses were designed to withstand pressures and should not snap. I bet Smith will do the same if you complain.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If Smith won't replace the frame, my guess is that it's made out of some form of Nylon which is a pig to repair, the only thing that might work is to put a pin in and use an epoxy resin but they will still be vunerable to breakage
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
D G Orf, Yep, Nylon makes sense as they are quite fexible, up to a point. I think the break is a stress fracture because they snapped whilst changing a lens. Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
buns wrote:
So is there a specific oakley lens that might suit her better (sorry i dont know what she had, just know they are years old)?

Here's the Oakley chart which is for glasses only, not goggles. It gives Lens Type / Transmission / Protection / Use for the different ranges. Unfortunately not all lenses are available in all models. I've highlighted the best bright & low light lenses for skiing. I'd suggest the M frames or Half Jackets for skiing as they both have a wide choice of sizes & interchangeable lenses.

Clear 91% 0 Neutral transmission. Very low light. Indoor use.
High Intensity Yellow 90% 0 Flat to very low light.
High Intensity Blue 81% 0 Flat to very low light.
Titanium Clear 73% 1 Neutral transmission. Very low light. Indoor use.
Blue 68% 1 Flat to very low light.
Persimmon 65% 1 Flat to very low light.
Violet 57% 1 Flat to very low light.
VR50 50% 1 Flat to very low light.
VR50 Gold Iridium 31% 2 Low to medium light.
G30 30% 2 Increased contrast. Low to medium light (special golf).
VR28 28% 2 Low to medium light.
Slate Iridium 26% 2 Low to medium light.
G26 26% 2 Increased contrast. Shooting specific. Extremely bright to medium light.
Bronze 24% 2 Low to medium light.
Fire 24% 3 Neutral transmission. Medium to bright light.
Blue Iridium 18% 2 Neutral transmission. Medium to bright light.
Grey 18% 2 Neutral transmission. Medium to bright light.
Gold Polarized 18% 2 Neutral transmission. Medium to bright light.
+Red Iridium 18% 2 Neutral transmission. Medium to bright light.
VR28 Polarized 17% 3 Neutral transmission. Medium to bright light.
VR28 Black Iridium 17% 3 Neutral transmission. Medium to bright light.
Ruby 17% 3 Neutral transmission. Medium to bright light.
Grey Polarized 16% 3 Neutral transmission. Medium to bright light.
Fire Polarized 15% 3 Neutral transmission. Medium to bright light.
00 Red Iridium 15% 3 Neutral transmission. Medium to bright light.
Gold Iridium 14% 3 Extremely bright light
Titanium Iridium 14% 3 Extremely bright light
Emerald Polarized 13% 3 Neutral transmission. Medium to bright light.
00 Blue Iridium 13% 3 Neutral transmission. Medium to bright light.
Emerald Iridium 13% 3 Neutral transmission. Medium to bright light.
Leather Gold Iridium 13% 3 Neutral transmission. Medium to bright light.
Ice 11% 3 Extremely bright light
Ice Polarized 11% 3 Extremely bright light
Gold/Fire Iridium Polarized 9% 3 Neutral transmission. Medium to bright light.
Black Iridium Polarized 9% 3 Neutral transmission. Medium to bright light.
Black Iridium 9% 3 Extremely bright light
24K Iridium 9% 3 Extremely bright light
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My dad has Maui Jim Glasses and seems to like em. Before he used to have serengeti glasses I think. Though she should perhaps get herself some decent goggles such as Smith Anthem regulator. I have a pair of Oakley Why 8.2 with the platinum lenses and I don't think they would offer significant protection in extreme light conditions.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You're from Belfast. I am not from Stirling but go to Uni there. Went to MAcski on the lsiburn rd to buy some boots. Got a good price on some Tecnica Diablo flames I got some custom footbeds with them also. As to goggles. I would get them off the internet as MAcski or anyone else in the province seems to have very limited stock. I ordered a pair of Smith Anthem Regualtor from GogglesGiant.com. They can gift wrap them also which may mean they slip past customs, but don't quote me on that. I think alot of glasses may not offer the protection needed , though I'm no expert. Goggles also kind of help when its blowing a gale.
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
Slightly off subject, my Smith sunglasses (don't know which model but they have 3 interchangeable lenses.) have snapped. I have tried gluing the frame with superglue but this doesn't hold and they come apart again. Anybody have a suggestion as to which glue might work?

Araldite would be much more appropriate than superglue, so worth a try.

We're just looking sunglasses right now, she has goggles but sometimes likes to ski in glasses and of course the glasses are useful elsewhere too!

How about Dragon? Thir website is one of the few to actually provide lens transmission charts which i always find comforting (somehow, not including such a chart, makes me wonder whether there might be non uniformity somewhere in the optical regime). Dragon glasses are also a bit cheaper than many of the alternatives....

Thanks guys!

Adam
snow report
buns, I think sunglasses are much of a muchness. Your mum should just go for any pair that fit, suit and do the job. They need UVA and UVB protection and it definitley helps if they're polarised. Otherwise it's just choose and go. I've got Smiths (chopper) which do all the above and are about €80 in the shops here. I'm regularly astonished by the monster prices some people pay - no need for it. Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
Which model Smiths? I had a pair but I lost the lenses! If they're the same you're very welcome to them. They were a gift which I never really wear. I always ski in goggles... Let me know if you're interested.
snow conditions
parlor, welcome to SnowHeads, with a very generous offer.
snow conditions
parlor, Welcome to snowHead 's.
ski holidays
buns, I had a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses (ultralightweight, bendy titanium frames, polarised lenses) a couple of years ago and they were great for general wear and the beach. I would have said though that they felt a bit flimsy for skiing. Unfortunately I never got to find out as they were stolen from the beach while on holiday Evil or Very Mad . I got them because they were much larger lenses than the Oakleys I had oridianlly been given as a present - I find these trendy small lenses may look cool (although I actually think they look ridiculous), but they let in far too much light top bottom and sides. They were however incredibly expensive (£160 Shocked ), so since then I've been using some interchangable ones I get from the local cycle shop (by Raleigh), at £16 a pop! Do just about as good a job (albeit not polarised). The downside is that the ear pieces are very flimsy and break after about a year, but I reckon that still pays for itself as I'd never keep a pair of glasses for 10 years without losing them Sad .
snow report
parlor wrote:
Which model Smiths? I had a pair but I lost the lenses! If they're the same you're very welcome to them. They were a gift which I never really wear. I always ski in goggles... Let me know if you're interested.

Welcome to Snowheads snowHead

My broken Smiths are Slider O1 and if they match I am very interested. Very Happy
snow conditions
I like my Oakleys as they are very resilient! I have sat on them countless times and they just pop apart, easy to put them back together and no breakages. Also, Oakley guarantee the frames for a very long time. Not sure how long but I have a friend who broke hers after 5 years or so and they replaced them free of charge.
snow report
Thanks for the kind welcome! I used to post on SCGB until they made the switch! Can't beleive it took me this long to find Snowheads.

I'm sorry to say that the Smiths I have are "Empire" - I should have checked before I posted but they were in the bottom of a ski bag
and it was late...
snow report
parlor,

Thanks any way!
I think Smiths might have a lifetime gurantee so I'll see if I can get them replaced under that?
snow report
Update: Smiths are guranteed for life. Faxed their EU HQ in Rome and received a fax by return asking to send them the broken frame and they will replace. I just hope the evidence of my Super Glueing attempt doesnt invalidate the Guarantee Sad I'll post the result!
ski holidays
Good News, Smiths are great. Buy Smiths sunglasses or goggles guranteed for life! Very Happy
Yep, got an email this morning confirming receipt of my broken frames and that they have despatched a new frame by express post. Very Happy

Isn't it a great feeling when a large multi national company actually delivers on it's promises with no agro for the user. Very Happy
ski holidays
boredsurfin, Blimey, well done, and so quick. Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Buns, I have maui jims which I use for driving/beach - they are polarised, and pretty good.

How did she break her Oakleys? She may be able to get Oakley to replace them - either under warranty, or at a low cost.
ski holidays
buns, Hi there. I have a pair of Maui Jim's sports sunglasses. They are the best pair of sunglasses I have ever owned. I bought them in the States last Spring - about $150. They are very 'restful' in strong light.(i.e. brilliant Florida sun) I haven't been skiing in them yet, but I plan to. They far better than the oakleys I had.
snow report
boredsurfin, I'm glad that Smiths have been so good, it's always nice to know which manufacturers really do have good warrenties
snow conditions
Too late now because they have arrived home! Didnt buy anything because the oakleys she fancied were way over $200. So keeping an eye out for the sales now!

WTFH, I thought this too. She was just cleaning them and they snapped. Unfortunately they were bought in the US 4 or so years ago and none of the documentation remains. Also Dad tried glueing them so im figuring oakley wouldnt be interested.... or am i wrong?

Thanks!

Adam
ski holidays
buns, it would be worth contacting them - they have a very good cust service dept.
latest report
buns, it's worth a try. Vuarnet's US importers, for example, give an unconditional, lifetime frame guarantee and it sounds like Smith are the same. Sadly I always screwed up the lenses. I have Smith Slider01s and am eagerly awaiting polarized, mirror lenses (because I'm vain...) and can totally recommend them. It's so easy to change from brown sunny days lenses to orange flat light lenses when th elight goes (or you find yourself skiing down in the dusk after an extended lunch).

Hmmm, which reminds me that I superglued my Sliders and maybe worth sending them back!
latest report
David Murdoch,
following my experience with Smith's send your sliders back without delay. I started by faxing their EU HQ. details as below

Smith Europe
C/O Safilo Spa
35129 Padova, Italy
Phone: +39.049.6985468
Fax: 39.049.6985788
ski holidays
boredsurfin, thanks!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy