Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

09/10 fischer rc4 wc sl or salomon powerline 3v lab sl??

Poster: A snowHead
I am stuck betwen these two skis.

The fischers are around 130 cheaper but have had a seasons worth of racing whereas the slaomons have only had 6 days recreational use.

I am a fairly aggressive skier, however i don't want something massively explosive.

Any help appreciated!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd have thought neither if:
Sean_daly93 wrote:
i don't want something massively explosive.

Surely the reason for having is race department SL ski is for the explosiveness and if you don't want it then you should be looking at the high end punter skis. (There is, of course, absolutely nothing wrong with high end punter skis.)

Besides, race department skis are bloody hard work to ski all day, every day. That's not to say it can't be done. But it depends on whether you want to have to be that "on it" all the time.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I understand that race skis will be explosive, just ive heard that the fischer can be abit of a handful.

Welll are there any 'normal' skis you could reccomend? I tend to ski quite aggressively, short turns on blacks and steps.

Cheers
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FlyingStantoni, agree completely.

Spending all day every day on a race ski is pretty hard work. Especially a SL one as they are very turny! They arent the best in bumps aswell due to the short turn radius. Something like the Head ispeeds in 175 are a nice stiff ski with a 17-18m radius. What does let them down compared with a set of SL skis is the lack of a wide shovel like front end resulting in a bit more work if you venture off piste or into cut up and deeper snow (on the right day I would always have my powder ski out though). But for everything else they are better. So something like this or similar would be best, maybe go a for touch more width underfoot though.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sean_daly93, Some might say that the Fischers are a wee bit stiffer, are the 3vs real lab lab or punter lab, I skied them last year and liked them (3vs punter lab) but I'm into "explosive sl skis" and these things will carve perfectly even if you only think about carving !!! but if you are not in control they'll spit you out and onto your back bottom , know a few blokes with Fischers and they like em too, popular with younger racers, the "hole" in the tip is attractive - still haven't found out what it does though.
Sorry for all the s$i*e---but the 3vs. Smile Smile Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sean_daly93, are you referring to Salomon's full lab "shiny topsheet" or the powerline "dull topsheet" which incidentally also has the word lab written on it, if is the std powerline then there's nothing really explosive to worry about, it's probably more lively than a wider piste ski but will be more precise, but that's the fun of an sl ski!, if you want a forgiving ski for mostly on piste that you can pop short falline turns down your hardpack blacks and are more bothered about improving technique than going fast then they will be fine, but if you want to do big fast turns, go for something with a bigger radius.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sean_daly93,
Go for the Sally's. I have the 10/11 lab SL ( doubledeck like the atomics) and love em for recreational skiing. I find them really playful. Yes they can be explosive, but they can also be calmer, just depends on how much you load them.
I would say they are fine in the bumps, just don't have the edges tune to 3 degs and 0.5 degs, or you might find them catchy in the bumps.

I cannot remember if the proper race Lab skis ( also defined by having plastic angled race tip) for 09/10 are the ones with larger blue red and yellow pathes, like the Equipes from previous years. If the skis you are talking about are the punters ones, you will be able to tell by the rounded metal guard on the nose and the non D2 body( the "powerline" is imbedded in the body and visible through 2 small windows along a central ridge)

If the Sally's are the punter version, they are less " explosive" ( though still can be a little if you load them up lots) but they are more playfully and start to add some forgiveness too. Fun skis really.

briand6868, the hole in the Fischer noses is to help reduce ski swing weight,

Re the Fischers being a bit more stiff... Yeah maybe... But in my experience it wasn't the stiffness of the ski that was a problem, but the lack of fun. They just didnt have much life to them. But when we are talking about things like feeling " life" from a ski it as personally subjective as getting a good "feeling" or "vibe" from a person place or thing. ( maybe this is just a load of twaddle/waffle)...

Go Sally, they are great fun SL skis that are too often underrated ( maybe due to a lesser WC presence - sister Atomic gets all the limelight)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From whats been said, the salomons (proper lab) seem perfect for me.

now just a case of finding them! Ive only seen a few of this version knocking about but the sellers want daft prices Sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sean_daly93, Howdy-- sounds like an Irish name, if you're this side send me a p.m. and I'll tell you where to get the proper labs, good price for what you're getting aswell.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sean_daly93, Surprisingly I've seen a few pairs come up on ebay recently, If you are looking to buy used, be aware of what your current recommended binding settings should be, most of the labs I've seen came with the "x" binding, the lowest spec'd version starts at a minimum of 9.0 on the scale, the last one's I saw for sale had the x20 which starts at 12.0
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gatecrasher, That is one potential advantage of the Fischers, the Z17 binding goes down to DIN 6. I use mine as my default ski.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

That is one potential advantage of the Fischers, the Z17 binding goes down to DIN 6. I use mine as my default ski.

rjs,
They can be purchased "new" with the Z option, it's just I've not seen any in used condition, understandable really as the majority of people who would spend this much on a new ski is more likely to be using them for competition.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
briand6868, tis irish yes but unfrotunately not based in ireland, just have family there.
Appreciate the offer though, cheers

Anyone know of anywhere in england stocking these excepts barletts?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sean_daly93 wrote:
Anyone know of anywhere in england stocking these excepts barletts?

Try asking Ventura.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rjs, already spoke to them. Sold there last pair 2 weeks ago. Sad

The only pair ive been offered is the proper labs with x16 bindings. Theyve had a weeks use on piste and a couple of races. the guy wants 400.

Are they worth that much?
snow report
Sean_daly93 wrote:
Are they worth that much?

Would you throw them away after using them for a couple of weeks on top of this ?

The same skis are on sale in France for an equivalent price here.
latest report
rjs, Wouldn't throw anything away that cost that much!!

I plan on using them for my basi level 1, abit of race training and then my holidays.

ive been offered a pair now for 385 and the guy says "They are in mint condition, fully race tuned, sharpened with ceramic machine polish to 87 degrees, waxed etc, even sidewalls have been lowered and sanded down".

at 385 should i just bite the bullet or keep looking do you think.

i feel that if i dont buy soon ill just change my mind because after trying out some 2011 atomic d2's today im not sure what to do
snow conditions
I really doubt you want to do BASI 1 on race skis dude...
ski holidays
Quote:

at 385 should i just bite the bullet or keep looking do you think.

Looking for what? PM me with his number Lol! "See what I did there" Laughing
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:

+1
ski holidays
Quote:

clarky999 wrote:

+1

+2

Lab race skis do not like snowploughs!!!!! Plus you will be doing allot of standing around on them during your Level 1 putting allot more pressure than is ideal through your legs for the day.
ski holidays
clarky999, FlyingStantoni, Fattes13, fair points all around.
Ive just decided to keep my old skis, they should do the trick Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy