Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skiweekends

Poster: A snowHead
AKA Harris Holidays

I got talking to this mob at the ski show and it piqued my curiousity. Anyone been with them on a coach weekender? Utterly miserable transit experience or passable with a sleeping pill and a bottle of whisky? Fit state to ski on arrival and/or work on morning of return? Any experience of how late they have availability for the cheeky storm chase?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My 2p worth; I'd avoid coach holidays like I'd avoid a swinging axe.

To give you some idea of the scale of my hatred, I happily, ecstatically, pay extra to fly to Chambrey/Grenoble to chop two hours off a 4 hour coach trip.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, it all depends. Many people (me included sometimes) will drive through the night. We did quite a few coach holidays - not for weekends though - and had no complaints. chucked kids and luggage into a coach in Dover, got out right at the gate of our chalet. It's very comparable to spending 10 hours on a long haul flight, but without the jet lag. Depends on your mental attitude and tolerance level - and thank goodness we never encountered any groups which wanted to stay up drinking and shouting all the night. People were quiet, tried to sleep, mostly failed, but didn't get on other people's nerves.

And it was cheap. with a family of 5 it made a big difference - and we had two extra days skiing.

You need a pillow, I'd take something to help me sleep if I didn't have to look after kids. Plenty of water to drink and different layers of clothing (temperature control on coaches can be a big dodgy). absolutely no alcohol - that really isn't going to help at 6 am. wink

I've flown to New York, done a day's work and flown back, straight to work. absolutely mad, but perfectly surviveable. I was paid to do that - i wouldn't have wanted to be paying.

It's a function both of your physical make-up (which is hard to change) and your attitude, how you cope with some broken nights. People who have spent months coping with small children could probably do it without a problem. Equally, people who have done things like yacht racing over several days, accustomed to having very broken sleep, etc etc. will take it in their stride. Other, used to having things their own way, will hate it so much that it's no sort of holiday.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi fatbob,

I've done the coach back and forwards a couple of time - although thankfully never had to work/ski the day afterwards. Not sure if I'd do it for a weekend tho . . .

For me what swang it was adding up how long it actually takes to fly (ie locking your front door to arriving at destination) vs how long it actually takes on the coach. For me by the time you add it all up there's only a couple of hours in it, and at least on the coach you can read/work/sleep etc.

The only other thing to bear in mind is that if your legs get stiff sitting for long periods, then it might not be the best before skiing.

Happy planning!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes have been with Skiweekends to Meribel. Wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but DO pay the extra for the extra legroom. Was in a fit state to ride on the day we arrived - though it was more of a half-day. Did book the day off on the day we got back - but could've gone in. Take booze for the journey.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Done it twice with ski-weekends and would do it again. First time was a half-term weekend and so it took longer to arrive than planned, but the second time we got to ski most of the first day. I can sleep anywhere and had no problems on the coach or skiing the first day.

You're taller than me so definitely get the extra leg-room option.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In the 1990s we once paid £85 for a 5 or 6 night bed and breakfast autumn break in Mayrhofen - travelling by coach. We boarded at Darlington and 26 hrs Shocked later arrived in resort, bleary eyed, at 6am... The coach seemingly stopped at every coach station between the north east and Dover.

The Hintertux Glacier skiing was great and we had a brilliant holiday - these days we look back on the trip with almost nostalgic memories of a golden age of travel Laughing .
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had a skiweekend break in April & was very pleased with the whole thing I have booked to go again in January with them.

I found the journey pleasant although paying the extra 30 quid probably helped as being 6ft 3 I wanted the extra leg room. I slept well on the coach going & even better on the way back (although this was a little bit to do with being absolutely knac***d).

I dont enjoy flying & the prospect of not having to book in 2 hours early to get through security, not having to worry about lost luggage, not having to wait at a carousel for my luggage to come off (sometimes damaged), not having to get a transfer to the resort after getting off the plane as well as being at the whim of air traffic controllers who like to walk out quite often all make the coach seem more appealing. Take into the fact that with skiweekends the coach leaves the UK at a decent time on a evening & arrives at a decent time the next morning with the return journey just as well planned & nearly all the boxes are ticked for a great mini break.

We stayed at Brides les Bains at the hotel run by skiweekends & found their staff enthusiastic about skiing, the food great & the hotel adequate for our purpose. The only downside being the 30 minute ride up in the Gondola to find snow but then you have the marvellous 3 Valleys to explore.

I would certainly recommend this company for the conveinence on this package, suggest you pay extra for the leg room & definately take a pillow for the journey. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob,

I used them last March for a trip to Morzine.
I'd happily do it again but I fully understand it's not for everyone. But it's cheap and very convenient for me.

We paid for the seats with the extra leg room and I think it was a good thing. I'd suggest bringing your own pillow/neck cushion. If you pay for premium seats they give you some but they're not the best.
No wild parties in our coach so I slept surprisingly well on the way down, I had ear plugs, just in case. Most people tried to sleep once the film was over..The coach was not full.
We stopped every 3 or 4 hours on the way down once we crossed the channel. The timing we were given was followed impressively accurately.
We arrived in Morzine at around 8-8.30am. Had Breakfast with a little welcome speech, were shown to our room..we were by the main lift at about 9.30-9.45 on the Friday.
The chalet was OK. The room was very dated really, but clean enough, and more importantly (as we spent hardly any time in it) the location was superb. 5mins walk from lifts and bars..
The food was decent enough but do not expect luxury. 3 course meal with wine on the friday and saturday night. Breakfast OK as well.

As the snow was poor we spent our time in Avoriaz and actually were lucky enough to hit the best WE in March. 2 days of blue skies with a big dump on the Saturday (rain in Morzine but snow in Avoriaz). The Sunday was just awesome..We did board for 3 full days

I did not sleep as well on the way back up. Which surprised me as I thought tiredness would help. I was struggling getting comfortable. But I still did sleep a few hours. We got dropped off at the Thurrock services at 7.20 am on the Monday morning. I got home, showered, drove to Cambridge and was in work at 10am..

So if you think you can rough it a bit , I would defo recommend it. I tried hard to find a way to do this cheap by flying last year and every time the airport transfer killed the deal/price. Hence the skiweekend deal was the most interesting: £300 + 3 day pass (£100) + beer money. One day off work.

If you want luxury, don't do it.
If you hate coach travel, don't do it..

Otherwise, it's a good way to steal a week-end away.. I am hoping to do this again this year..
Let me know if you have more questions.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
shakeywith,

My experience mirrored yours Toofy Grin .

You should try Morzine. The chalet location is just great..

Quote:
I would certainly recommend this company for the conveinence on this package, suggest you pay extra for the leg room & definately take a pillow for the journey

^^ what he says.. Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Encouraging feedback. To be honest for Morzine or Cham its hard to beat a flight and transfer as there's plenty available. For 3 Vallees transfers are more problematic for maxing out a long weekend so it seemed a reasonable option to bag a weekend there without breaking the bank. Avoiding the faff/delays of airport travel has its appeal as well.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob, Be aware that the 3V option is Brides Le Bains, the hotel is about 10mins from the gondola station, the gondola ride takes about 25mins and that it is a further 10 mins from the top of the gondola to the next lift up.
The gondola down finishes at about 5:00ish, and there is no easy alternative.

I didn't mind it too much, but for some that might be a deal-breaker.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob,

My problem with transfers was that it would eat a significant chunk of the day up...even with a very early flight...
Unless going for an extortionate private transfer or car hire..

If time on the slopes is of the essence the coach trip was making most sense..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kruisler, try flying to Innsbruck, then the skiing is minutes away.

Then you'd also be only the second French speaker I've ever met/heard of in Austria wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ousekjarr,

I love Austria. In fact, 4 of my last 6 trips were to resorts there... But don't you go and spread the word.. wink

I did consider Innsbruck, but flight times were rubbish (with the low-costs), I prefer a dedicated resort for the Apres and all the resorts close to Innsbruck seem a bit small. Plus last year my mate was keen on Morzine.

I had booked flight to Zurich for this coming January with a view to go to either StAnton or Ischgl but the rest of the trip has fallen through so that's £85 down the drain.. Sad
snow conditions
no need to go through the pain of a overnight coach journey, flights to geneva and milan bergamo are still really cheap- like under £80 return - and there are loads of resorts nearby that you choose from, but Montecampione is probably the cheapest...
ski holidays
One other thing that impressed me was the welcome speech was done by a rep who met the coach 20 mins from the hotel. He handed out passes & ski hire vouchers, explained all that we needed to know & handed out piste maps so we could literally get straight into the skiing from the minute we got there. After other holidays where you were expected to go with the rep to a meeting room whilst they try to sell commision based trips I found this refreshingly welcome.
snow conditions
Have done about 20 overnight coach trips from Scotland but never just for a weekend. I can sleep anywhere though. Its cheap and does allow extra days skiing. Have done many school trips with a whole coach full of kids and also Snowcoach but not used Skiweekends although we see them in Brides all the time. You can book the Alpes Hotel in Brides which is right next to the gondola and with your own equipment will be off and away very quickly.
ski holidays
Kruisler wrote:
shakeywith,

Quote:
I would certainly recommend this company for the conveinence on this package, suggest you pay extra for the leg room & definately take a pillow for the journey

Thanks Kruisler,

looking at 18th feb for another break so looking at the site now plus the multi trip discount, can it get any better? snowHead
snow report
Kruisler wrote:
shakeywith,

Quote:

Booked for 18th Feb at Morzine with skiweekends.com. No discount when i mentioned your name though Laughing
snow conditions
I would also recommend these guys. I've been to Brides Les Bains and Chamonix several times with them. My tip for a weekend trip is to take the Thursday departure option. Getting out of London at 5.00pm on a Friday night takes forever and you will inevitably arrive in resort later the following the morning. If you go Thursday night you can be skiing by 09.00 on Friday morning - how good is that!!
ski holidays
Quote:

it is a further 10 mins from the top of the gondola to the next lift up.

if you crawl through the snow... Otherwise it's not far wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy