Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Novice Skier - Ski Buying Recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks,

This is no doubt another of those topics on questions that have been asked time and again. I am just about to buy my first set of skis. I've already bought boots (been thorough with this) and now want to buy some skis to make it easy just to pop the equipment in the car and head of to the slopes (Scotland) whenever I want. I am essentially a Novice and probably put myself in Level 4-5 category, just trying to move on to parallel turns. My question is kind of two fold. Firstly it is on the ski length. I have been learning on 160 (various makes and models) and once tried a 170 because the person renting the ski told me I shouldn't be using a 160 and pretty much made me take the 170s. At the time (last winter) I struggled a bit on the 170s and after that just went back to 160s. I am 6'1" and about 78kg and I would class myself as a pretty cautious skier (which I am perfectly happy at).
Having been round the shops and taken information on I have kind of narrowed my choice down to three skis. Mainly because they are available and at a price that works for me and all seem to be aimed at my level. The three skis I am looking at are all new but previous seasons stock:-

Head Peak 71 (170 only available) - Price £130

K2 Apache Force 2010 (163 or 170) - Price £200

K2 AMP Force 2010 (163 or 170) - £220

Now naturally the price of the Head ski is the big factor with them and for a first set of skis I think it's a great price and if I do move on in a couple of years then it wont have been a huge investment. However the fact that it is only available in 170s is slightly putting me off. The two K2 skis I like the sounds of the Catch Free Rocker Technology, but is that just a gimmick and wouldn't really be overly noticeable for me.
So if anybody has used any of these skis I would love to know.

Cheers

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 22-10-11 22:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If any of those skis are available at Ellis Brigham they will let you demo them for free at Xscape, otherwise I think there is a demo day on 12/11 at Braehead, would be worthwhile going along as it's only £30 for 3 hours and you can try lots of skis.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
art vandelay, I've not skied any of the ski's you mention, but I would say that I doubt a 'true' rocker ski will help your skiing progress. Better to choose a conventional ski design.

With regard to length, I weigh about the same as you and tended to use 170 range ski's on snow while learning. However if you are happy on 163's it's not going to be the end of the world, especially if you are expecting to swap them out anyway in a couple of seasons.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The K2s aren't true rocker - either they are marketing rocker or they just make the tips a bit less hooky.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
None of those skis are from Ellis Brigham. Had a look in there but they didn't have anything near the prices I am looking at. Way too expensive.
I don't know too much about the Catch Free Rocker Technology, but apparently it is just in the tip and tail and seems to be something to do with making it easier to turn without catching the skis, or at least that's how I read into it. I could be completely wrong there though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
These are worth a look - We've had a lot of zeniths on hire last couple of seasons and have yet to be dissapointed with them:
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/pack-zenith-zx-id_8188812.html

The peaks are also nice - my partner had the more advanced version and was very happy with them. At 6ft+ there is no reason you can't ski a 170 - i suspect after another week or so you'd find the length a help not a hindrance. Or go up a model and down a size? http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/ski-snowboard-ski-equipment-mens-skis/head/head-peak-72-piste-ski-power-11-bindings-2011-pd-1454.php

Assuming the 'rocker' is just marketing nonsense then the k2 should be fine too - if it's a real rocker its not what I would choose for a novice in scotland Wink

aj xx
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
art vandelay, the Heads are good skis, perfect for your level and a bargain.

Even if you end up selling them in 1-2 years time then you'll probably get £80-100 back if you ebay them - so you can't really go wrong.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
a.j. wrote:
These are worth a look - We've had a lot of zeniths on hire last couple of seasons and have yet to be dissapointed with them:
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/pack-zenith-zx-id_8188812.html

The peaks are also nice - my partner had the more advanced version and was very happy with them. At 6ft+ there is no reason you can't ski a 170 - i suspect after another week or so you'd find the length a help not a hindrance. Or go up a model and down a size? http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/ski-snowboard-ski-equipment-mens-skis/head/head-peak-72-piste-ski-power-11-bindings-2011-pd-1454.php

Assuming the 'rocker' is just marketing nonsense then the k2 should be fine too - if it's a real rocker its not what I would choose for a novice in scotland Wink

aj xx

I seen those Head Peak 72 elsewhere and wondered about them. I spotted a video review of them where they said that this model was the entry level model and was comparing them to the type of skis you generally hire. So do you know is the Peak 71 Head's basic model or is it the 72 or does the 71 and 72 just relate to the width and they are pretty much a similar ski. I am certain I came across them (72) for about £160 somewhere.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
art vandelay, You don't actually have to buy the skis from Ellis Brigham though, just go along to the demo day, try loads and them look on here, Ebay etc. for some second hand ones.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I bought some Head Peak 72's brand new last year (2010/11 model). The first pair I've ever owned (used to rent)

I'm 5'8" and weigh 12 stone. I would describe my skiing as a developing intermediate. I can ski fully parallell, can side slip, ski backwards a bit and am getting better and better at fast carve turns without skidding at all. I'm pretty comfortable at fairly steep pitches. Given the opportunity I can turn the speed on and really hammer the turns, bending into the skis and carving them round nicely.

I mainly ski indoors and like you, visit Scotland yearly. So far I am really pleased with the 72's and haven;t found their "limit". It's easy to read loads of marketing hype and believe what the manufacturers want you to think about their skis but at the stage I'm at currently (which with all due respect sounds quite a bit further on than you) I don't think I need anything more. Given the opportunity, I might consider moving up a little bit into something a tad wider / stiffer if it meant not having to spend too much but I'm not desperate to at all. They served me very well blasting down the Cas on Cairngorm this year and as said, I didn; find any problems with them at all, even in marginal snow following a warm spell.

For the money, if the Heads aren't too long (not sure where to advise you on that, I'm 5'8" and ski 162's - roughly eye level) I'd say they'll be bang on for you. Good luck with it and enjoy!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From what i can see online I'd say the 71 is an older model? On this years head site there is only the 72

http://www.head.com/ski/products/skis/all-mountain-freeride/?region=eu

72 seems to be their beginner/intermediate model for this year so I'm sure you'd be fine with them if you find at a decent price.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers for that information folks. I think I am going to go with one of the two Head's that have been mentioned, Peak 71 or Peak 72. I first need to make a final decision on the 163 or 170 lengths.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry cant help in terms of advice, just wondered if you could share where the K2's are available from at that price?

I'm in a similar position to you, just reluctant to 'splash out' £350-£500
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
art vandelay wrote:
Cheers for that information folks. I think I am going to go with one of the two Head's that have been mentioned, Peak 71 or Peak 72. I first need to make a final decision on the 163 or 170 lengths.

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/ski-snowboard-ski-equipment-mens-skis/k2/k2-apache-force-all-mountain-skis-2010-pd-1455.php
ski holidays
As above for the K2 Apache Force and for the K2 AMP Force at £220 I found them here:-

http://www.twoseasons.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/TwoSeasons/_68567
snow report
Well even though I said I was going to go for one of the Heads, after having a chat with some people (and the fact that the Peak 71 had sold) I went with K2 A.M.P Force in 163. The fact that I also managed to find them for £200 helped as well and I spoke to the shop where I eventually bought them (snowfit/revolutionz) who were really helpfull. Can't wait to get them although I am going to have to wait a wee while to use them as they are being bought by the family for my Christmas so I won't even get the chance to have a go at Xscape until then. Here's hoping for some good snow over the Christmas holidays up north (Scotland).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy