Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

10 years of skiing!

Poster: A snowHead
went for the first time in March this year and got 2 weeks booked up dec2011 & late feb2012 for the coming season! Love it, money was the only thing stopping me going in previous years.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
266 days and probably more years then I'd care to remember!!

http://gregh.co.uk/html/skiweek.htm
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, thats some list! Shocked

One thing that has kept me coming back is not only the skiing but the atmosphere and people, much more relaxed and friendly than many summer holiday destinations I've been to! Cool
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
17 years in January for me.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, fantastic record!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
First day on snow was January 2nd 1983. I even spent some of it on skis, though to be honest it was mostly backside and face. Embarassed Laughing

Wish I'd been more often since - only clocked up about 20-odd weeks - but no point in wishing. Just glad to have given my kids the chance I never had, to do it from as young as they can remember. Hopefully one day they'll show their gratitude and start paying for me to come with them... yeah right. rolling eyes Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How about this one for regrets

1981 working in the Londoner in San Antonio Ibiza. Who comes in but the owner of the the Londoner in St Anton. We meet get on well he offers me a job for the winter season in his bar, but I can't ski!! don't worry about that I will teach you he replys. I will think about it is mine. Twenty years later I take my first ski holiday and have done about thirty weeks in ten years. Regret it? No I have Two great girls that I would not have had if I went to St Anton. But the Skiing would be better.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof, what is the 10,000 rule? I think in terms of ski hours I have done probably done around 1,000 not 10,000 and most of those in the first 14 years of my skiing career.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Since Easter 1976 when I first put skis on in Soll. Instantly hooked. Missed a few years when the boys were young although always went to a dry slope so I think I've put skis on every year since I started. My youngest son started at 3yrs 10months in Aviemore and, at 21, he's now better than me. Strangely my older son lost interest a few years back and he's the sportsman in the family - he ran a sub-17minute 5k earlier this year. They both tried boarding but didn't like it so at least there's some hope......

I aim to still be skiing at 75 so I can get a free GM pass snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
"God I feel such a novice!! downside=must be owed 30+ years of skiing, upside= straight ski's "what are they!?" Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Its a good list, but a fantastic record Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Later starter at 50. Trying to make up with 5 weeks snowboarding a year.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oooooh actually thinking about it, it'll be 10 years for me as well next Feb - Feb half-term in Val Thorens, now there's an introduction to skiing for you! Toofy Grin Got us hooked though Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Started skiing aged 34 on Hillend in Edinburgh. First ski holiday abroad a few years later, Easter 1988 with our (then) young family. A friend said it would change our lives - and it did. The rep said our sons skied well and could be ski instructors when they grew up. I said they would get 'real jobs'. So many years on (and 89 ski holidays later for hubby and I) both sons are about to head out to France to work as instructors with New Gen again....
Is ski instructing a 'real' job?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, Your ski list got me thinking about a list I used to keep and I've found it on an old website
http://www.waynos.co.uk/ski/stanton2001/Ski/ski_trip_list.htm
I gave up in 2000 and I clearly couldn't spell the name of my first ski resort very well.

In 2001 I did my first ski photo blog, updated daily from St Anton. This was way before the likes of flickr, anyone else doing this back before this date?. I did think of polishing up the website code and making it more available at the time but never got around to it. I seem to remember my digital camera got damaged after a few weeks and lost focus. So pretty poor quality pics but did include animated gifs, cutting edge! http://www.waynos.co.uk/ski/stanton2001/Ski/PhotoDiary.htm
snow conditions
waynos, Just 11 years of skiing to remember to update the list then Smile

Animated GIFS were indeed cutting edge, hasn't the world changed!!
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
queen bodecia wrote:
Gulp! 34 years for me. And I'm still rubbish! In fairness there are quite a few gaps in those 34 years. I think it equates to roughly 15 trips and one season.

started in 1975 and I'm rubbish too snowHead just goes to show that 10,000 hour rule is crap wink
Hmm. You're patently able to ski the entire mountain - that ain't rubbish in my book!
latest report
snowball,
Quote:

Hi, yes, I'm back and I'm fine.
Fantastic news! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Apart from a few day in fridges my first skiing was in Norway in January 2005 at 46. Gone a bit mad since and racked up a total of 130 days.
snow report
freeheelskier wrote:
Quote:

Its a good list, but a fantastic record Puzzled
Your linguistic skills are obviously superior to mine, if you see a significant difference between these two things. Confused
snow conditions
7 years for me, started at 36. Almost 15 weeks since then... you'd think I'd be better by now... rolling eyes
ski holidays
Quote:

Pedantica wrote:

started in 1975 and I'm rubbish too snowHead just goes to show that 10,000 hour rule is crap wink
Hmm. You're patently able to ski the entire mountain - that ain't rubbish in my book!

I should be a lot better than I am. Not enough lessons in the past probably and not enough application.

info on the 10,000 hour rule

http://www.gladwell.com/outliers/outliers_excerpt1.html

actually I think the rule is probably fairly valid, things I've spent 10,000 hours doing I'm good at (well the one thing I've invested that amount of time in).

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 26-10-11 10:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Schuss in Boots, you are - at drinking! Toofy Grin
snow report
Pedantica, I took your meaning to be 'a record of what had taken place', whereas I think freeheelskier interpreted it as 'a record set and yet to be broken'. Of course, I could be wrong! Toofy Grin

Perhaps I should change my name to Pedantica Minor Laughing Embarassed
ski holidays
Just checked my list, and since we started in 1992 have racked up 567 skiing-days - plus regular use of artificial slopes. Never got to do a season though Sad
ski holidays
Iski, Laughing Laughing You're probably right - and certainly right in your interpretation of what I'd written. (I've just given myself a black mark, on account of my lack of verbal precision.)
snow conditions
Pedantica wrote:
Schuss in Boots, you are - at drinking! Toofy Grin

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Pedantica, rolling eyes Laughing Laughing Embarassed From the mistress of vodka - I take that as a compliment... wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Schuss in Boots, touchée! (And I hope you appreciate the pedantry.) wink
snow conditions
Pedantica, Always wink Laughing
ski holidays
phew 34 proper years for me, but a couple of years before that a friend took me to Glouster ski slope I had never skied before , got about half way down and ended up in a nice patch of mud by the side of the plastic. After about an hour of trail and error managed to get to the bottom without falling over and with a few turns thrown in for good measure.

Its funny I can still rememeber that first time, very well.

Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Started snowboarding in 2007 and have made five trips to the alps since then. Having a nipper in 2009 kind of put paid to the idea of boarding for several years but looks like me and the missus will be in France this december.

I'm 32 now, so not over the hill by any means, but when I read about kids in their late teens and early 20s doing seasons, I do get very jealous because I know it would have been something I would have loved to have done when I left uni. Still, you can't live regretting everything so I suppose I just take what comes and enjoy it....
snow report
First trip out - March 2008 (1wk), March 2009 (1wk); Dec 2010 (2wks); March 2011 (1wk); April 2011 (1wk) + lots of snowdome time
I cannot believe that I've only been skiing for 4 years - it seems like so much longer!!!
It's the first sport I've ever actually enjoyed and I think it's changed me as a person, it's certainly improved my physical confidence.

I'm hoping to get 3 weeks in this season.
ski holidays
I hate these threads - having not had my first trip until January 2007, at 59 - they remind me how many years I have missed, but I am only 12 years away from a free ski pass !
snow report
First trip was to Ellmau in March 1991 so 21st anniversary coming up. Never had the inclination before that and never not had the inclination since.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy