Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski resort in Finland

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Please, kindly help me out.
Where in Finland can one ski during New Year holidays close by to Helsinki with a lot of snow? Puzzled
Thanks a lot in advance for all suggestions!!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
atinuke, Sorry to say this, the nearest skiresort from Helsinki is Ruka, 822km and minimum 10h driving, and its only have 200m of vertical drop Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But there is alot of crosscountry tracks just outside Helsinki Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can ski (alpine) nearer Helsinki - if you're not expecting a large ski resort. In 2006 I had an evening (under floodlights) on the slopes at Kalpalinna, which is maybe about an hour from Helsinki (if I remember correctly). The web site is only in Finnish - the skiing section is near the bottom.

Kalpalinna only has a couple of short pistes, with T-bars and rope tows. I'll post some pictures later (at present I don't seem to be able to access the snowBase). However, if you're in Helsinki for other reasons and desperate to ski (and don't mind belting up and down the same pistes all the time), you could enjoy a few hours there. And Toni Sailer and Ingemar Stenmark have skied there (also other Olympians), so you'd be in good company!

There's a ski jump (it is Finland), should you get bored Laughing

You can also hire skidoos, which are fun. And as others have said, there's plenty langlauf. There may also be other similar small hills in the vicinity of Helsinki.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here are the promised photos.

Ski hire is available.

Here is the one slope under floodlights.

And the other pistes the next day...

...when we went back to try skidooing

All photos from February 2006. I can't remember if the lifts only run in the evenings or during the day too (though there are skiers in the daytime shot).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
freeheelskier, thanks a lot, I know that is the best place to enjoy Finland is
Lapland, I agree 100%. Me and my family would love too, but the distance! For us to get there we have to take two night trains and we have 2 years old baby with us. We are looking for something like that but closer to Helsinki.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
espri, thank you for info and pix
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How about Tahko, did anyone ever ski there and how is it for beginners?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tahko is 5 hours from helsinki, so not exactly close. It's pretty steep in places, comparable to the lapland resorts. But there's other stuff to do, skidoo, xcountry, a spa etc.
For just beginners there's a couple of slopes by helsinki, one is http://www.serena.fi/. This place is only 30mins from the center of helsinki, has some tiny slopes, but also a water park.

Around new years snow is going to be iffy, but they usually do a good job with making snow so the slopes are sure to be open.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was thinking about what you can call skiresort, there is some clubhills in the most part of Finland, but the vertical drop is from 30m to, I think maximum 80m, Finland is generaly very flat, but there is alot of other way to enyoy the snow Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Isn't there only about a half hour of daylight in Finland at New Year?

An unhelpful Dobby
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy