Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Great forum - need help ! (Ischgl)

Poster: A snowHead
Stumbled across snowheads - cant believe how much info on here and how many people are crazy for the snow !

So, searched quite a bit but not found anything that quite answers my questions so going to post a note.

I am looking, with the wife, to go to Ischgl on the 18th Feb for a week. We are both of a decent standard, not excellent, but can ski all runs but we also enjoy a good lunch, some gentle cruising and a lively bar for a drink (plus nice restaurants!). Anyway, have settled on Ischgl but now struggling for accommodation.

Dont normally do a 'Inghams' type break, normally do self drive etc, but wondering if anyone knows of good operators that might be able to help us out. Finding that a fair few of the hotels are already booked etc or have spaces reserved for the operators.

So, what I really need is 1) recommodations for hotels, 2) recommendations for tour operators if they are good, 3) any tips on Ischgl !

(should say, hotel needs to be v central - wife had enough of walking in ski boots last year ! Happy with 50 to 100 yards !)

Thanks all

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 23-10-11 20:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cooperboy123, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Lots of people know about Ischgl. I'm not one of them, unfortunately, but you'll get more focussed responses if you change the title of the thread to show that you want information about Ischgl.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cooperboy123, we (group of 5) stayed here at Easter this year. It's right in the centre of town & can be skied back to within a minute's walk plus it's less than 5 minutes walk from 2 of the main lifts up the hill. Ski Total sell it on a T.O. catered type package but it feels pretty much like a hotel.

http://www.skitotal.com/AccommodationDetails.aspx?accomId=2032
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cooperboy123,
Welcome to snowHead , unfortunately you have chosen one of the busiest weeks of the season to try and get a room. This week is Fasching week which is a time when they can sell every room in the area several times over. We are going and booked last Feb on leaving.
One idea is to contact the tourist office directly and they will put out your request to the hotels in the resort. If you don't like walking in ski bots you can probably store them for a fee in one of the sports shops near the lifts.
Can't give much advice on the apres as we go with another family and kids and stay out of the resort but the skiing is great. The main lifts will be a bit crowded that week but the atmosphere is great and the area is plenty big enough to absorb the crowds.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the info - whats Fasching week ? Tried to google it but cant find a lot of info about it !
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh, and is it Fasching week at every Austrian resort on that week ? I cant change the dates due to the wifes holiday !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is some background on Fasching in this thread. But yes it is all over Austria. Lot's of fun mind.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1860333

And some info on apres in Ischgl in this thread.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1692072
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
French resorts will also be very crowded, as it's their peak winter school holiday time.

Try Italy?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Been to madonna di campiglio before and enjoyed that but dont know anything else about Italian skiing. Anything similar that might work (150km + of runs, nice village atmostphere, pretty much ski and ski out) ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cooperboy123, sorry if this is obvious, but have you had a look at the Ischgl website? http://www.ischgl.com

Putting those dates in came up with 36 different places from B+B's to suites at the Hotel Elizabeth.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, done that but the Elizabeth is too pricey and the others are a way out of town / get average reviews.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cooperboy123, No need to walk in ski boots. For €20 per week you can deposit boots and skis at the bottom of the lift stations. Wide range of hotels from B&B to 5 * but its a very popular resort so getting exactly what you want may be difficult. I know the mainstream operators go there but not sure who else, I go independently so have no need for them.

As for Ischgl itself, its one of Austria's most popular becoming more popular with British people but they still form a very small minority. Germans comprise the largest group but lots of Scandinavians, Dutch and increasing numbers of east Europeans. The skiing is snow sure, primarily decent standard intermediate territory, mostly above the tree line. The lift system is superb and the town is party central. Extremely lively Apres Ski, fine restaurants and plenty of night life.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Try to stay close to the middle of the 3 gondolas (sorry but I can't remember name). I've stayed in kappl the last 2 years and is a cheaper alternative but maybe not what you're after. If you can get yourself to innsbruck then book room direct through either tiscover or the ischgl site itself, it will give you better options than tour op. Great ski area. Enjoy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Our group stayed across 2 hotels last year, the Hotel Garni Ida and the Hotel Garni Litzner next door, about a 5-7 min walk from the lifts and big Intersport, but they have their own lockers at the lifts. There are a few 'Garni' hotels around the Litzner and they all look to be of a decent standard, ours had a great new spa area in the basement. It was fantastic skiing over to Samnaun for lunch and getting the cable car back to Ischgl. Great fun too having apres drinks at the Madeleine bar!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boabski, Its the Fimbabahn. I believe the one just down the road from it, the Pardaschatgratbahn is closed this season. Its being replaced but its a two year project so won't be reopened until next year.
latest report
Corky, Cheers. Could be busy in mornings this year then Puzzled
snow report
wickyb, welcome to snowHead !
ski holidays
Corky, boabski, says construction will begin in May 2012?

http://bautagebuch.ischgl.com/projekt-neubau-pardatschgratbahn.htm

http://youtube.com/v/dvIzeZIGEeU&feature=socblog_th
ski holidays
In case you don't know, Garni means B & B. You'll get a much better price for food at a Half Board Hotel.
ski holidays
I can recommend this hotel http://www.jaegerhof-ischgl.at/
There is a elevator just across the road that takes to the moving walkway to the lifts or the town centre
Its also far enough away from the centre to avoid much of the noise at night
We booked through TO and would be happy to do so again
ski holidays
Corky, they are retaining the middle and top stations of the old lift
The new lift will be direct from top to bottom
There will be the three existing lefts this year and from what I could make out there is nothing about closing the old lift from the village the winter before the new one is due to open
ski holidays
Garfield, OK its just what I had heard. Bit confused though. The Ischgl website only mentions the Silvrettabahn and the Fimbabahn.

http://www.ischgl.com/cable-cars-lifts-tirol.en.htm
ski holidays
Corky,
Its still marked on the piste map on the web site, which has been updated to include the new lift as a project.
http://www.ischgl.com/maps/?type=flash&language=en
snow conditions
T Bar, Yes I know that's why I'm a bit confused. A bar owner told me it wouldn't be open but maybe he was wrong or the plans have changed. Personally I hope it is as it is the lift I normally get and if it isn't it'll put pressure on the other two.
latest report
Corky,
Quote:

Personally I hope it is as it is the lift I normally get and if it isn't it'll put pressure on the other two.

Hope it's open I mainly used that lift as well and we are there Fasching week. Still if you get up early there are no queues, I'll just have to persuade everyone to be at the lifts by 8:30. Confused
snow conditions
Garfield wrote:
There will be the three existing lefts this year and from what I could make out there is nothing about closing the old lift from the village the winter before the new one is due to open

From a report on the new lift in the German alpinforum.com I would also understand that the old Pardatschgratbahn will keep running for the next two seasons and the bottom station will only be demolished and replaced in the summer of 2013. The new lift then goes into operation for winter 2013/14 (along with the upper section of the original lift, allowing repeat runs on the upper pistes, black 4 and red 5).
ski holidays
Spoke to tourist office, certainly running until at least May 2012.
snow report
Cooperboy123, I've stayed in the Feringluck and would recommend it - certainly very central, good quality & good value

http://www.ferienglueck.at/de/ferienglueck/willkommen-in-ischgl.html
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fasching (Carnival, Mardi Grass) is the weeks (festive season) leading upto Lent .

Its a Catholic event & really only gets into the party mood in the week before leading upto Tuesday night (Fasnacht) which you guys call Shrove Tuesday" (pancake day) or Amercians call Fat Tuesday.

They celebrate in Austria and it is aa huge festival in Catholic parts of Germany like Koln,Dusseldorf.

Aschermittwoch (Ash Wednesday) is quiet day, shops & bars all close but this has relaxed in Austria ski Resorts over the last few years.
ski holidays
Hotel Olympia gets my vote.Top quality Family run hotel 5 mins from the lift at the lower end of town.

http://www.olympia-ischgl.com/

Best breakfast spread (hot cooked options at no extra cost) ive ever had in any hotel ever and dinner is a 4/5 course gourmet experience, you even get afternoon soup and nibbles for £100ish a night.
snow report
Some really good deals to be had in Mathon which is only 5 minutes away on the ski bus.
Really nice hotels and guest houses which are great value compared with the centre of ischgl where you will pay a fortune!!
ski holidays
I stayed at three different b&bs last year because we hadn't booked so just went wherever there was room; can't remember names but all good. There are a few places right on the outskirts of town that might have more availability if it's busy, including some kind of farmhousy places. Tourist office is helpful and might give you a list of places that have room that week. Town is not massive so if you're not right in the middle it's not a disaster as long as you don't mind a little walk. Here's a link to a couple of posts from my blog that might be useful for general stuff...

http://morethanskiing.wordpress.com/2011/04/22/22411-if-i-tell-you-about-ischgl/
http://morethanskiing.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/1511-how-to-make-the-most-of-very-little-snow/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy