Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

help !!!! my missus wants to give it another go(serious questions):update and TR

Poster: A snowHead
we are off to japan in feb for two weeks glorious powder skiing, and after a few years of not really bothering about skiing my good lady has mooted the fact she does want to miss out on the fun in japan . she hasn't put on skis in anger for 5 years , and before that was only up to easy blues and very gentle reds. we both started skiing at the same time over in killington and she did really well on that first trip , but then the next year in tremblant after the first couple of days in ski school she dropped out as she was moved up a level on the second afternoon ( because she was good), but unfortunatley found herself in a very competent second week group , and was taken down a couple of slopes that scared her silly, and after that her confidence was shot Sad
She then misseed a couple of years as i took my boys on our own , and we progressed quite nicely and i think she then thought she would slow us down and although she has come along on all our familly ski trips since then and enjoys the social side , i haven't been able to get her back in the saddle, apart from a "one to one" in aspen which did not work out due to the unsympathetic nature of the instructor rolling eyes

so i am looking for some recommendations of where to book a week in mid jan to somewhere with gentle begineers slopes without have to get up too high to use them, and no treacherous runs back to resort,

And also would really like some personal recomendations for a private instructor that will be understanding of her needs.

i am willing to go north, south , east or west and at any cost , as it would mean the world to me to be able to spend time with her enjoying the sport i love most Cool

so if someone has personal experience of starting again in their mid-fourties and know an instructor that would fit the bill please let me know

my first thoughts were vail, or whistler, but on reflection they may be to busy and a quieter off the beaten track resort maybe better suited,

looking forward to all your ideas

snowHead snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 7-02-12 12:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How about the easiski cautious to confident week in Les 2 Alpes? http://easiski.com/C2C.html A little later than you want as it starts the last weekend of Jan but from all the feedback on here if anyone can get your wife ready for the Japan fun it will be Charlotte! Or if that doesn't work out just book Charlotte for whatever week does!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davkt i have heard real good things of easiski, and will drop her a line, think missus not ready for group but maybe afew days private could work , what les 2 alps like as a begineers resort ???
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Neilski, if she is having tuition with Charlotte it will be ideal for her, as she will teach her to cope with the conditions in the resort, and tell her which parts to avoind when she isn't having lessons. As long as she is prepared to do what is asked of her she will be fine. Charlotte got me down Vallons de la Meije in La Grave last winter. Although nowhere near a beginner I am cautious and most definitely not confident when out of my comfort zone.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not tried it yet as my first lessons with Charlotte are the on2off into to off piste (and am hoping things work out so she can get me down La Grave as well!) at the end of Jan but given she says on her website her speciality is adults lacking confidence I'd guess it is pretty much perfect for what Mrs Neilski needs.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
another vote for that week. The company of other "nervous skiers" might be really useful, if your OH is used to having competent and confident companions. Meanwhile, you can go off and ski La Grave and practice for all that powder in Japan.

Quote:

what les 2 alps like as a begineers resort ???

It's fine, except for the kind of daft beginners who somehow think it is beneath their dignity to download in a lift. The key thing for your OH is the right instructor, and Charlotte, and that week, would be ideal.

Our resort - Les Saisies - is completely ideal for beginners, gentle runs back to resort etc etc and I know a lovely French instructor - I've had lessons with him, my gung-ho son in law has been off piste with him, my very nervous daughter in law and a friend starting to ski for the first time at 67 both fell in love with him.

However, I still think that week in L2A would be better, because it is structured specifically for nervous skiers and the social side should be really good fun. Charlotte's tuition would be more focussed and technical, and her feedback a little more pointed. wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i started in my 50s and couldnt get to the standard i wanted in the end met an instructor who works in kuhtia austria and the uk and has transformed my skiing he works on a one to one basis would be well worth an email skianil@yahoo.co.uk just say you spoke to rick
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I could do a shameless plug for more work, and say come ski with me at Squaw (having been scared silly on a blue slope when learning, to the extent that I cried all the way down, got stuck, and took my skis off, threw them at the instructor and slid the rest of the way down on my backside!), because I do teach a lot of women who have suffered a loss of confidence.
HOWEVER, from what I know of Charlotte through my industry links in Europe, you should go with her.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Neilski, Whistler would suit as the learning area is huge and well monitored for daft people going too fast. It spreads from near the top right down to mid station. We used a guy called ????? Sainsbury (sorry can't remember his first name - I could find out for you if you are interested as my daughter keeps in touch with him. Brilliant young guy ex canadian ski team.

Also if she does not want to ski all day the the village is pretty snow less so easy to get about.

They also do various ski lesson groups. My wife used what they call a super group (3 people max) which she found much better than the bigger groups you get in "Ski Esprit". They can have up to 8 in them.

Or you could have a look at Pila in Aosta valley as that would be great for a beginner too and much easier to get to. Speak to Carole at pilaski.co.uk and she would sort you out with the right instructor. Ski in-out as the hotels are right on the green run that goes through the village. Loads of wide well pisted blue runs to move on too. Only hassle is few Blacks if you were going.

With both resorts the runs to the village are not bad but you can always down load by gondola at both to miss out anything she is not happy with. Wife always did.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Neilski, shameless plug for SARAJ a quiet snowHead who lives permanently in the Zillertal valley, skiing mostly around Fügen I think. I went out with her today on the Stubai Glacier and had a fantastic return having broken my ankle in the summer and therefore was in zero fitness condition. She is going to show me around the Tux glacier sometime soon as well as it is so long since I've skied there, I'm sure most of the stuff I skied has melted!

She works a lot with Adaptive skiing groups (disabled) and has infinite patience and very simple ideas to focus you on what is needed. I am definitely going to officially book a few hours with her during the season as well.

Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, Hells Bells, cheers, a one to one with charlotte could be just the ticket, and my missus would have no problem downloading , but its that kind over terrian that gives her the jibbies in the first place, i think that sort of group is probably best left until next year when she get the bug snowHead will let her know about the" frenchman"

figg4, cheers will look into it, i take it we can do something in a uk fridge before we go on that basis .

skinanny, i would love to fetch her to squaw , in fact i was looking at a trip out to the west coast before the japan trip arose, but if i came out i might struggle to be "the best skier on the mountain" wink

Jake43, cheers , hope to get more votes for whistler as i would love to go back and i think it could be a good option for january, and as you say plenty of other things to keep us occupied. will look into the private prices and hopefully get some individual recomendations.

Samerberg Sue, just the sort of thing i was loooking for , and i would love to come out to the zillertal valley for a look see, we both love austria and enjoy the austrian winter non skiiing activities, will have a word

keep em coming snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Neilski, Send her a PM and I'll warn her tomorrow I'm picking her up at 07.30 to go to Soelden for the Men's race. You could do a good weekend or 4 day jobbie no problemo! We were on the Stubai Glacier today and had a great afternoon.

Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Samerberg Sue, already done cheers snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Valloire? No instructor recommendations but a few years ago beginners I was with loved it as nothing was beyond them (bar the one open black) and thus they felt like king of the world. I also like belle plagne/bellecote for nervous folks - some lovely wide easy slopes you can do circuits on from right by most accomodation. Austria tends more to 'friendly tree lined runs' and I've had some lovely quiet days in ski amade over the years, I'd happily recommend most of the towns we've been to, except schladming @ planai lift - that run home is a little steep (schladming-rohrmoos, haus etc fine).

I don't favour LDA but that's as i'm in the 'downloading ruins my day' crew.

aj xx
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Neilski, aww, i just had to butt in and say good on ya for being so supportive! Hope it all works out and your OH and you have a fab time!!!
snow conditions
Another vote for Charlotte here - she is fab and so straight with you that when she tells you that you have done ok you feel a million dollars. J who has skied since he was 4 and is more like 44 now was so jealous of our coaching last year that he is having at least one lesson next year!
LDA is a fab resort - you do need to downgrade your expectations though as if you have skied every blue here then you can ski most resorts red runs (ie get advice as to which runs are blue blues and which red-blues..... They re-graded a few from red to blue to try and spread peeps across mountain.... Results in some steep blues that you wouldn't want to come across unawares if feeling nervous)
latest report
a.j., yep , i have also sat at the bottom of the plania watch the fall fest on an icy day Madeye-Smiley , valloire may be an option, but definatly not les arc 1800 which IICR had one of the busiest return to resort pistes i have everr been on.

bitoffluff, cheers Blush

katedenhaag, will be in touch with easiski, but think the high alpine aspect of L2A may be a no-no Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Another vote for Charlotte, from someone who first visited her as a slightly more experienced (which just meant more bad habits!) but similarly confidence shot position as your wife. My advice would be to completely disregard all the things that you don't like the sound off about Deux Alpes (they have beginner slopes in the village too btw and just above) and focus on the fact that quality of tuition from someone who understands her fears is all that counts for this week if you and your wife are really serious about restoring her confidence.

I am personally not a big fan of LDA as a holiday resort preferring chocolate box pretty, tree lined, twinkly village lights etc etc over the more functional charm of LDA BUT it is where I go (25 days+ now) to improve my skiing and Charlotte is the reason.
ski holidays
Quote:

the high alpine aspect of L2A may be a no-no

it's no "higher alpine aspect" than most other places if you don't go up to the glacier - and there's no reason why you should have to do that in winter. There are nursery slopes right down in the village.

Have you thought about some indoor instruction in the UK as a preparation for this trip? guaranteed no nasty weather, and there's some great instruction available.
snow conditions
Neilski indeed - alpe d'huez has the same problem with crowds (although I am going there this year NehNeh) - ditto meribel. Les Arcs is better in 2000, or Vallandry, the runs above vallandry are actually pretty reassuring. Montgenevre _seemed_ like it might fit the bill, but I've only been there on a day trip.

I'd also focus on locating lovely slopeside accomodation - I've been an unconvinced skier myself in the past, and it's important the hurdles to getting out there and doing it are minimal to leave you with as much motivation and energy as possible to extend actually persisting skiing. Skis on outside the door, slide 50ft to the lessons meeting point and a lovely chalet or hotel room to come back to afterwards for choco-rum can really make the difference!

aj xx
snow report
Alp d'huez has masses of green runs above the town. A definite possibility, i am taking my wife there this xmas for this reason alone.
ski holidays
a.j., you,ve hit the nail on the head there , get those bits right and the rest will fall into place wink
ski holidays
If you want gentle slopes, a very gentle progression up from the nursery slopes (not always the case), a range of slopeside accommodation and lowish prices, you can't beat Les Saisies. The private lessons are reasonable (32 euros an hour, from 1 - 3 people). Not the same top technical input and no-bullsh*t feedback as Charlotte, but lots of good confidence-building stuff in a completely unthreatening but very beautiful environment. and if you avoid the peak holiday weeks very, very, quiet.
snow conditions
pam w, sounds interesting, will defo have a look

got your other poits about L2A , but what i nean my high alpine , is above the tree line skiing surrounded by high granite peaks, what would be best for her is gentle tree lined runs , chair lifts that go through the tree rather the up and over them, and as a.j. says loads of pampering Very Happy planning to go to the chill factore for a warm up, but she will be fine in that enviroment.
ski holidays
Neilski, you just described Fügen and Hochfügen Laughing
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, Have been in touch with saraj and am just looking at accommodation type and snow conditions for mid JAN , sort of decided on Austria or top notch resorts in north America , but going long haul before the Japan trip is probably a bit much, so go on give me some insider info for a top notch trip to this region Cool
snow conditions
Neilski, My partner is a late-in-life (as in over 60) beginner and decidedly cautious. I opted for Austrian resorts partly for the chocolate box nature of some of the resorts, partly because of the gentle tree lined skiing & partly because they just do the whole ski thing so bloody well.I try also to find accommodation close to the slopes as I think she'd find the whole walking in boots with skis/ crowded ski bus scene decidedly off-putting.
The first year we went to Maria Alm & last year to Ellmau where we scored an excellent hotel some 30m from the ski school meeting point.Though far more lux than I'm normally used to, the food was superb(& unlimited) & it had the full wellness business as well ( saunas, swimming pool etc). A bonus was a large bar restaurant with terrace right by the ski school so that she could sit & chat with fellow students before & after lessons & head across the road to the beginner slope t-bars when she fancied some more practice. I, meanwhile, had the skiwelt on my doorstep....................
snow conditions
nickH, Cheers , am defo thinking along those lines, as we both enjoy the whole winter experience that austria has to offer as well as the skiing

But they have the worst websites I have ever encountered , so will have to dig out my old where to ski books for more info.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Neilski, Get Sara to sort out the info and recommend the hotels that are offering short breaks. I'm pleasantly surprised to find lots of hotels are sending me their brochures and for the first time in yonks they are all offering 3, 4 and 5 night short break packages.

Flights into any of Munich, Innsbruck or Salzburg will give you relatively easy transfers, either using someone like 4Seasons or by train.

Toofy Grin
latest report
Neilski, There are several websites that give reasonable breakdowns of the resorts as to suitability for different levels, as do the t/o brochures. Having a reasonable area for me to go and play on is also a factor.
Though usually going DIY for my own trips I've gone t/o with her, partly for the convenience & reduction in hassle factor ( met at airport, dropped at hotel,etc) but also the increased chance to meet fellow learners & add to the 'social' element which she has also enjoyed.
Both Maria Alm & Ellmau worked well & westerndorf seems well recommended. For this year I'm looking at perhaps saalbach/hinterglemm ( an old favourite of mine ) which might well tick the boxes as well. If nothing else it has a stonkingaprès ski which is impossible not to enjoy !!
Having skied arabba myself the last 3years, I'm also wondering if it would be too early to introduce her to the Dolomites. San cassiano & la villa look as though they might be suitable areas with some good gentle blues amidst stunning scenery -suspect it'll boil down to cost & availability in the end.
snow conditions
Neilski, tree-lined runs abound in Serre Chevalier, lots of nursery slopes, green runs, and gentle blues, and wonderful English speaking instruction. PM me if you want any details.
ski holidays
Try Sun Peaks in BC there are some great green runs with a brilliant ski school.
Mostly ski in/ski out, there is a good mix of hotels and condos to choose from. Every lift has at least one easy way down and a few more difficult options and then there are the tree runs as well. Keep your wife out of the tree runs there is one blue tree run that they do try to piste bits of.
ski holidays
Neilski,

Whistler - absolutely brilliant instructors - my wife has had a couple of private lessons with an instructor called Marcelle Richoz who is fantastic. He's Swiss but moved to Whistler 40yrs ago. We cannot commend highly enough. Let me know if you want his contact details.

Or Europe wise :

La Plagne
Avoriaz
La Tania
Alpe d'Huez
Soldeu
latest report
Aaargh , my short list keeps getting longer, and havn't even thought about Italy snowHead

SnowMonkey69, Whistler would be cool, and thanks for the recommendation , but not sure that the low temps in JAN would be conducive for a happy learner , but not ruled out

joneski, Cheers , got another couple of votes for sun peaks but stillmworried about cold in JAN .

Hells Bells, Thanks for the info , and help cheers.

Samerberg Sue, Pm'd Sara and waiting for her thoughts on a program, really like the idea of short flight to Innsbruck , and short transfer , then staying somewhere on the slopes and just spending the days concentrating on the skiing and then relaxing in a mountain hotel snowHead

nickH, Dolimites do look like a great trip snowHead

Thanks to all, Starting to look over it all with the missus , and she is gob smacked with all the ideas and people wishing well, we will report back with more detailed questions I am sure snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Neilski, I hope you sort out something suitable so that she can really enjoy Japan.
snow report
Neilski, will be interested to hear what you come up with, might help me with my dilemma! snowHead
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, Any links to hotels, would be cool Very Happy
latest report
Neilski, I sent a second email to you last night. Did it not arrive? I'll send it again.
Any questions, give me a shout Very Happy
snow report
SaraJ,Got them both tonight so all good , will have a look through and get back to you soon, cheers snowHead
snow conditions
Neilski,
It's a ski resort! )
It's nowhere near as cold as the "eastern side" of the Rockies and less humid than the "western side".
If you are going in mid Jan look at the Wine festival and try out one or 2 events the Progressive Wine Tasting should not be missed if you're in town. Actually quite difficult to avoid if you're in town that night. rolling eyes Try the Icewines, and the late harvest wines, just can not get them over here lots of small vineyards most of the wines don't make it out of BC. I am digressing never mind. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy