Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late Deal Xmas Week - How late do we leave booking ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

Pretty much as the header suggests, we are looking for a week's skiing at Xmas. We will be flying from Gatwick and it'll be the wife & I. Happy to consider any resort in Europe in either a chalet or hotel (we don't do self catering on holiday).

My question therefore is how late do we leave it until we book something ? The 'deals' available at the moment don't look that great to me but I have the worry about leaving it too late and losing availability.

I've had the whole supply / demand conversation with a couple of TOs who strangely enough were not interested in committing to when they were likely to make their prices more reasonable !!!

Can anyone put my mind at ease ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

The 'deals' available at the moment don't look that great to me

no, they won't be - it's too early for a late deal! Maybe start looking seriously towards end November - in a month's time. The best deal we got was about 10 days before (but that was for an early January low season week). Being flexible about your destination will obviously help a lot, though you might need to be prepared to travel from another airport, as seats on planes are sometimes more scarce than beds in hotels and chalets. You need to be flexible both ends.

the two very late deals we did, we arranged travel ourselves. Once we went by train, another time we drove. But flights out of one or other of the London airports should be available. But that was our own choosing, really, not because there were no flights.

If snow is looking particularly good, round about beginning of December, might be best not to hold out too long - lots of people will wait till they have a feel for likely snow cover at Christmas.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SnowMonkey69, We have a Christmas week large group cancellation, so have a half price, fully catered offer but it's not a package. As pam w, says, it will be several weeks before the TOs start discounting and then you'll be dependent on the offers being a) somewhere you want to go and b) somewhere with snow. If La Tania appeals, drop me a PM
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SnowMonkey69, Potentially you can book flights & car hire now and take e a punt for the late cancellation deals Puzzled

Bear in mind that quite a few of the Geneva based crowd have booked into France en masse (and bought Euro's) so spare French capacity an hour or so out of Geneva may be less than usual: I've no idea if the Zurich crowd have looked at Austria/Italy in the same was, but would not be surprised. The currency dynamics could easily have changed the slack percentages this year more than in the past, so it could be more of a gamble than usual.

I'll look forward to hearing how you get on. good luck. snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suppose ir depends on how much a great deal is... my doubles only €340pp for Xmas week and I think these are being looked on as expensive this season!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Anniepen,

PM sent.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SnowMonkey69, If Morzine/Avoriaz suits, we have people arriving on 26th, 27th & 28th Dec. So a week ending on any of those dates is possible.
The website below shows what we offer. Pm me if interested, or contact via the site, and Nina can make you an offer. We will be doing a christmas dinner on 25th in the B&B, but probably eating out other nights.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In my experience the best deals tend to be around 10 days prior to departure, so my advice is leave it as late as you dare.

If there's only two of you and you're not picky about where you go; you should find somewhere.

Also, Xmas week is fairly early snow-wise, so the later you leave it, the more chance you can select somewhere showing promising snow.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is no doubt that you coul dgrab a flights inc. bargain a week or so before Xmas... but you must have absolutley no cares about where you are going!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SnowMonkey69, Late deals mean, as said above, limited choice of destination.

Xmas is early so you might find limited snow.

"don't do self catering on holiday" (why not? We like having the option, especially as we both travel intensely for work and are bored with hotels, even very nice ones) - suggests your holiday time is important (quite rightly) - so why not pay for what you want rather than risking a cheap compromise?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks to everyone who gave their opinions on my original post - you have eased my concerns of leaving it too late and not finding a deal.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[quote="under a new name"]

Actually, it is the same as every year, on the 25th Decenber!! NehNeh
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It depends what kind of "deal" you are looking for but I have a holiday going cheap as we now can't make it. The holiday company want to charge us a fortune in late cancellation fees but I can transfer it to someone else for £25.

Its Chalet Chritoporus in St Anton. 4* Catered, 23rd - 30th December. Booked through Skiline but it's an Ingham chalet. It includes a large double room, flights (or Eurotunnel) and transfers and full board for the week.
We paid £1700 for 2 people but willing to pass it on for £1200 or nearest offer.

PM me if you're interested.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

In my diary Xmas is very late this year 25/12/11

But, yes, Christmas is the very start of the season and there may no be much snow and quite often the pistuers haven't marked all the runs by then.

John
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Zdh4 wrote:
It depends what kind of "deal" you are looking for but I have a holiday going cheap as we now can't make it. The holiday company want to charge us a fortune in late cancellation fees but I can transfer it to someone else for £25.

Its Chalet Chritoporus in St Anton. 4* Catered, 23rd - 30th December. Booked through Skiline but it's an Ingham chalet. It includes a large double room, flights (or Eurotunnel) and transfers and full board for the week.
We paid £1700 for 2 people but willing to pass it on for £1200 or nearest offer.

PM me if you're interested.

Is this still available? I am interested if they could squeeze 3 of us in the room ?? thanks skigirl21
snow report
Hi,

It is still available. I'm not sure about 3 in the room but I do believe that we have the room with the bed sofa. They may well charge more though, especially for an extra flight. Do you need these included or just the chalet or crossing (obviously won't charge any more for that)
Would you like me to find out?
snow conditions
many thanks I will ask my 2 children what they think & try to look it up on the web
Thanka again
snow conditions
Ref OP. 2nd week December Club Med offers. Go high, Killy Espace, Val Thorens perhaps.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy