Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where, how, when?!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi!!

First time posting - been browsing since last night.

I recently bought a new ski jacket as mine got ripped last year. So the next logical step is to book a holiday! (expensive ski jacket that's turned into!)

I have only been snowboarding once before in Tignes in December. It was great - fantastic snow/sun etc.

However - I've never arranged my own trip. I'm not any good at boarding either, so might want some lessons - (last time it was a case of throwing myself down the nursery slope all week).

So... I need - cheap cheap cheap - same as everyone else I guess.

I am looking to go on the 31st Dec - or a few days earlier is even better - due to work commitments and holiday availability.

Will there be snow in most places? I saw a GREAT deal with IGLU ski (I think - been on so many websites - actually think it is Thompsons) for just over £600 each in Andorra - including ski passes, lessons, board and boot hire and flights. But having searched around, it seems unlikely to have much snow?

I just saw another offer for Residences les Jardins in Val d'isere.

If I wait for a last minute deal at that time of year though, am I going to get one? Or will everywhere be booked up?

Other option is to wait until February - but everywhere is SO expensive then!

Sorry about the essay folks! Hoping someone can shed some light!

Thanks Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.alpineanswers.co.uk/deals/search?name=&date=4&departure_day=&quality=&size=&sort=sale_price_asc
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks - but that turned out more expensive than any of the others I've seen. Sorry think I messaged you that by accident as well!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JanieS, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
Unfortunately, no one will be able to help with the question of
Quote:
Will there be snow in most places?
... only the snow Gods... and as yet, we haven't been able to get them to join us here on snowHeads (but my goodness, this place will become even more popular when they do Wink)
As for late deals at New Year, others will be more likely to answer that... that's one question I've never been lucky enough to ask Laughing
I can say that Andorra can be a great place to learn and the ski school is great, depending on where in Andorra you're going!
I'm sure that there'll soon be many more people along to give more info than I've been able and I bet that you'll have great fun wherever you end up!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JanieS, have a look at the "all in" holidays at UCPA centres in France, offered as a package from the UK by Action-Outdoors. Plenty of holidays to big name destinations, including everything (including full board and tuition) for around £700 or a lot less if you wait till very early January.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry that was just meant to give you an example of the spread.

Alpine Answers, Ski Solutions and Iglu etc, act to sell on packages and late deals from a range of Tour Operators. They are often selling the same deal from the same operators so the prices tend to be pretty much the same. Tour operators also do their own late deals (though again you may also find these exact same deals being marketed through the Alpine Answers, Ski Solutions and Iglu etc).

Because the websites aren't showing live information (it's not the FTSE or NASDAQ), the actual deals may be better or worse than those on the website. So worth actually giving them a call (though expect them to try to sell to you!).

31 December is obviously tricky for the reasons you state. I saw an article last week saying that because of how it fell (on a Saturday) it was awkward to market, so there might be deals. But keep in mind it's an expensive week anyway.

The chances of getting a better deal increase the closer you get to the date, the chances of everything being booked up increase the closer you get to the date.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I might look again in a couple of weeks -ie when I can actually afford to book something anyway!

Total waste of time looking before pay day!

I looked at the UCPA. If I can convince my boyfriend to go with me, really not his thing, it'll be our first holiday together in 4 years! (If we don't count Scarbrough!) so I'd want somewhere I wouldn't be sharing rooms with other people etc not quite as hostelly.

If he won't go - then I'll go with a friend and that would be perfect then.

Yes - Christmas is tricky timing this year (well - can't blame Christmas lol ) - UCPA have a few going out on in between dates. Have seen a few other dates but not many. Really, I would be better going on the 23rd/24th due to already having to book those dates off work for Christmas.

Does anyone know anything about the apartments in Tignes? The cheapo's? La Lavachet Apartments, Hameau de Borsat, Rond Ponte du pistes and le lac apartments. All look basic, small and similar, but are there any major drawbacks I'm over looking ie location?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I'd want somewhere I wouldn't be sharing rooms with other people etc not quite as hostelly.

JanieS, some of the UCPA centres have double rooms (Flaine does, I know, as my daughter and her BF stayed there - they had a very nice room with its own balcony overlooking the slopes).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JanieS, Just had this through: http://www.neilson.co.uk/ski/december-ski-deals?campid=eml%2Fneilson%2Fski%2F21oct
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for that Michelle - is that a new offer? Sure it wasn't there during my internet trawling yesterday!

What do people think about self drive? We've driven across Europe before which took about 35 hours - so the distance is no problem - but do you think it helps keep the cost down?

Also, if we do end up in Tignes (le rond pont is looking good - but should I go by the photo's they show, or am I likely to put in a grotty old apartment which isn't the one they took pics of for adverts?) is there anywhere to park?

So excited - still need to speak to the OH though haha
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi JanieS,

Driving down is unlikely to work out much cheaper for you these days really - road tolls to the French Alps are 60-80 euros for starters, but gives you a bit more flexibility and freedom of course and isn't going to cost much more either if there is a few of you in the car.

Sounds like not possible for you, but would you be able to hold out until early Jan? Gives you more chance of the snow gods smiling on you, and prices plummet after new year, pistes are quiter etc too = much better for beginners. March 3rd onwards when holidays ended also has the same benefits over Feb...

Cheers
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Alex. I think I will have to see at work what's going on holiday wise - but think I've only got enough to get Christmas off (and have to use about 5 days for it - Sad )

It would be so much better to go then.

I'll look at last minute deals neared Christmas I think and if there's nothing, there's nothing Sad boo!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JanieS, We have 1 twin room still available for Christmas through new Year. PM me or contact Nina via the website below for a snowHead 's price.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JanieS, if you're going in dec (early season) try and go somewhere high if you can, generally higher is more snowsure (add 300m to an austrian resort to compare with france). Tignes is a good betfor snow.

If you're going to book late it means you can check out the snow conditions before you travel, so you only go to a resort with good snow. wink Snowboarding is sooooo much better with good snow.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JanieS, stayed in Rond pointe des Pistes few years ago and they were grotty. Complained to rep there to no avail and wrote to TO when we got home but never got a reply. Would not stay there again.
snow report
Thanks DallyPaul - that's a really kind offer but I was hoping for a bit higher altitude - just incase! :s

Thanks for that herecomethegirls - nice to get an honest opinion rather than the glossy pictures on the websites - I figured it was dirt cheap for a reason! Which TO manages them out of interest? Or are they split?

Thanks rogg, I'm hoping for Tignes, having worked there previously I know my way around and know there's good snow from very early usually.

Payday tomorrow - hope my OH is ready for the relentless nagging!!

To be honest, would be easier to go with a friend haha but don't really want to spent Christmas without OH!!

What's going on in Tignes for non -skiers if I really can't get him to do it? Any events on Christmas week? I remember the candlelit santa on the mountain Christmas eve - that still happen?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy