Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: La Plagne/Champagny snow report 2012-2013

Poster: A snowHead
Its currently dumping in La Plagne, Friday should be a epic!! Been windblown all day, foggy, lumpy bumpy crash tastic, gave up twice!! In the bar having beer instead.

Powder day Friday woop woop
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cptsideways, yup sideways snow all day. And apparently clear and sunny tomorrow so should be absolutely epic. Anyone skiing next week should have epic snow
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tomorrow being sunny would be good. My sis was supposed to be learning to ski today but I got called into work and she 'crashed' on the sofa!! LOL So we'll be trying tomorrow Very Happy

At least she's enjoying the Apres Smile

I am moving to the darkside tomorrow for a week or so - hopefully the soft snow will help me to get less bruises from the snow boarding!!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lifts are in shut down mode you can't get high up, its grid lock down here so in the bar awaiting......at 11am
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Where are you? We're heading for the nursery slope in Centre in a bit! But the queue at the 1800 lift is horrific Sad Sad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What's the problems with the lifts ?

Is it weather related or are they experiencing mechanical trouble ?

We start heading over tomorrow and should be in LP in time to get a couple of hours in on Sunday afternoon, so I hope that any lift problems get sorted.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ukredsox, Pah not just the lifts!

Booger all has been pisted and snow clearance of pedestrian areas negligible!

Because so much is not open.. down to safety I'm guessing, lifts queues are at half term levels and they still let one or two people onto a four man chair!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Or are Compagnie de Montagnette squeezing every last ha'penny out of their most profitable resort to kep the company afloat?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin, you need to head over to Les Arcs. Rob@rar seems to be having a great and quiet time over there wink Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin, I'd assume it is safety related, lots of snow slides around the pistes today. Verdons Nord looks particularly dodgy.
The tow rope at the bottom bit of the blue run towards Champagny from Roche de Mio was closed because of a snow slide covering the rope.

However the snow was fantastic on the runs that were open and I thought this afternoon was a fantastic time to be out skiing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fantastic sunny day today almost all resort open apart from the Brand New Becoin lift which had at least 5 engineers working on it all day ( It's closure well posted around the resort ) excellent on piste condtions and very few queues such a change from yesterday!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Fantastic sunny day today almost all resort open apart from the Brand New Becoin lift which had at least 5 engineers working on it all day ( It's closure well posted around the resort ) excellent on piste condtions and very few queues such a change from yesterday!

It's Saturday - hardly anyone in resort to ski!! Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Huge queues everywhere again yesterday, and yet people stiil allowed a whole seat to themselves, worst was 2 people on an eight seater Evil or Very Mad
and again little evidence of any piste bashing, thus beginners getting into all sorts of trouble, I have never seen so many people walking down pistes carrying their ski's Sad (Including a whole English family on the piste under the 1800 chair!)

On a positive note we didn't see any broken down lifts, although the older lifts all seemed to be running at half normal speed.
Not sure if that is to protect the ancient lifts or an attempt to 'manage' the volume of skiers on pistes.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boredsurfing, pistes used to be beautifully groomed in La Plagne, what's happened?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Greetings from Plagne Villages. Superb weather and generally good piste conditions.

The drop down into Bellecote on the Trieuse (just after the bar) was a bit bumpy. Either they didn't piste it last night or the snow is so soft that it's just getting pushed up into mini mogols. They drop down at the end of the L'Arpette runs as you go past Belleplagne was almost as bad.

The runs off the Bergerie, Aolletts drag and Collusses chair were excellent. Just right for me and the other relative newbies in our group. The experts in the group are still out on the piste. I expect they'll stagger in via the Bergerie bar at some point.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hells Bells wrote:
Boredsurfing, pistes used to be beautifully groomed in La Plagne, what's happened?

I dont know, today it's if no work was done last night at all Sad
I guess the multi national company that owns the lifts and maintains the pistes is expecting La Plagne to make all it's profits!
latest report
There were piste bashing over PV and PC side last night and were doing around the top of the Bergerie chair around 08:30 this morning. Maybe they'll do Bellecote and/or 1800 tonight
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, well they won't be making much profit if they don't groom their pistes and people stop going.
snow conditions
Hells Bells, Yep, I've been thinking that for the past 2 seasons but still the hordes keep coming, and the medical centre keeps earning!

FWIW Perso Plagne forum has threads running complaining about the queues, poor lift maintenence and non-existent grooming, so it's not just me whingeing!
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, Hope you had a better day today, it seemed a lot less busy where we skied, not sure if it is due to last nights celebrations or whether a few have returned home.
Our neighbour in Champagny went home on Boxing Day and is due to return tomorrow, maybe he knows something we don't.
latest report
It was definitely a lot quieter today. Even the usual bottleneck at the Bergerie chair was less of a problem than normal.

Looking out the window here in PV, there's still very light snow falling. This should help lessen the potential for ice given the very low temperatures forecast for tomorrow.
latest report
A few cms of fresh overnight meant very good piste conditions this am. By about 10.30 however yesterday's quiet pistes were a distant memory, it seemed like every man and his dog was trying to uplift from Plagne centre Twisted Evil
snow report
A really strange weather day today. The sun kept trying to break through but lost out to the cloud and snow until about 4pm.

Beautiful blue skies now looking out over Roche de Mio from PV.

Piste conditions were very good but the flat light made every bump more interesting.
snow conditions
+1
Early beers were called for snowHead
ski holidays
ukredsox wrote:
A really strange weather day today. The sun kept trying to break through but lost out to the cloud and snow until about 4pm.

Beautiful blue skies now looking out over Roche de Mio from PV.

Piste conditions were very good but the flat light made every bump more interesting.

First time I've deliberately gone skiing in poor visibility and flat light. Whilst horrid conditions (to me) I'm kind of proud of managing to keep my legs loose enough not to hurt before the first run was completed! I may finally be getting this skiing thing!! LOL

Here's hoping the weather will be lushly tomorrow as I'm planning to go out again!
ski holidays
We noticed very very little bashing going on in the whole week we were there, it was only Saturday morning that the whole place looked bashed. Many of the regular blue runs were mogullled up, not great for beginners or for carving if you wanted to. Friday we saw large numbers of bodies being carted off the piste, which was no doubt down to the black piste au naturel conditions on many of the runs.

5/10 for me, shall not be going back in a hurry, but the off piste was great & hardly tracked out all. La Carosses (sp) button lift has some awesome gulley runs down towards the ice rink in Belle Plagne
latest report
Cptsideways wrote:
We noticed very very little bashing going on in the whole week we were there, it was only Saturday morning that the whole place looked bashed. Many of the regular blue runs were mogullled up, not great for beginners or for carving if you wanted to. Friday we saw large numbers of bodies being carted off the piste, which was no doubt down to the black piste au naturel conditions on many of the runs.

5/10 for me, shall not be going back in a hurry, but the off piste was great & hardly tracked out all. La Carosses (sp) button lift has some awesome gulley runs down towards the ice rink in Belle Plagne

only 5/10? Shock

Excitement is steadily growing for my week on the 19th Very Happy.

Had to fork out for an Avy locator shovel and probe (got a sweet deal on it though) because im going to be doing some serious off piste-ing. Going with 3 relatively experienced skiers so will have my work cut out.

I like the sound of all the runs being bashed, or is that just me? NehNeh hehe. I like a challenge. Although having said that some groomed pistes for speed would be nice too Very Happy

Only just over 2 weeks to go! snow is still looking good, mild temps this week if am not mistaken, and cooling by next week. I am thinking of investing in a neoprene facemask as you can get them pretty cheap. Dont want to be out in-15/20 in just my silky baly and scarf to protect my face. Anyone know of any decent ones? Also full baly or just covering bottom half of face ( keep in mind i will be wearing a helmet. )
latest report
Surprising to hear of such poor piste grooming and lots of injuries as a result. The only time any runs other than blacks here are left ungroomed is when there has been loads of fresh snow overnight. then all the green and blue connecting pistes are groomed, so beginners can get about without difficulty, and some very nice areas of red runs are left ungroomed. Blush

Whatever the standard of grooming though, New Year remains a rubbish time to ski.
latest report
The wheels seem to have fallen off in La Plagne this year - another excuse to spend most of ones time across the valley in Les Arcs I'd say
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is it really that bad? Are none of the pistes being groomed at all. Is this just the La Plagne area or all of paradaski which suffer from the same probs?

Also at what kinda date do the slopes tend to clear post holiday? been looking at the webcam at bellcote as it actually gives moving images and it still looks RAMMED
snow conditions
Xander89 - that's the week we head to LP too, I hope the pistes havea bit of a pep-up, but I also need to improve my skiing for future so I can hire an off-piste guide and lose the crouds.
snow report
Quote:

at what kinda date do the slopes tend to clear post holiday?

this weekend, in most cases. Most people are on Sat/Sat weeks.
ski holidays
xander89 wrote:

Also at what kinda date do the slopes tend to clear post holiday? been looking at the webcam at bellcote as it actually gives moving images and it still looks RAMMED

Bellecote is always a bottleneck (as is the Bergerie lift out of PC), so that webcam doesn't give an accurate impression of the resort.

The weather has been perfect today but I've had to have the day off due to a sinus problem that affects my balance.

Fri and Sat also look like being blue ski days so, as long as the tablets work, I hope to get two more full days skiing in.
latest report
How is everyone doing with rentals, I have just reduced the remainder of January by a decent amount!
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
The wheels seem to have fallen off in La Plagne this year - another excuse to spend most of ones time across the valley in Les Arcs I'd say

Yep and as the sunset today all Les Arcs was bathed in sunshine whilst La Plagne was mostly in the shadows,
as is the case until later in the winter when the sun gets higher.
ski holidays
xander89 wrote:
Is it really that bad? Are none of the pistes being groomed at all. Is this just the La Plagne area or all of paradaski which suffer from the same probs?
I didn't notice any difference in piste grooming in Les Arcs compared to normal (I was there opening week and Christmas week, so can't say what it was like for New Year). Everything that was open seemed to be groomed every night, and unusually on a couple of days I saw piste bashers going back to bed after the slopes opened (I guess because they were still trying to deal with falling snow during the nights). Not all the piste network was open, partly because of high avalanche risk and partly because of restricted opening for the first week of the season.
snow report
roche1800 wrote:
How is everyone doing with rentals, I have just reduced the remainder of January by a decent amount!
Had several enquiries over the last few days, resulting in a couple of bookings which leaves just three weeks available this season.
ski holidays
Amazed by some of the comments regarding La Plagne piste bashing.

Just back from a week based in Plagne 1800 and apart from having our ski locker raided/emptied and last nights epic eurotunnel queues I must say that we found all of the pistes in and around La Plagne to be perfectly groomed every evening - with the obvious exceptions of the Natur black runs. We also didn't find any significant queues in Plagne centre during the week - Plagne Bellecote was the bottleneck most afternoons, particularly Colosses which one of our group queued for over 20 minutes for (this was by far the longest wait of the week with the exception of the chair on Les Arcs side of the VanExp).

The only comment on the pistes was that by the end of the day the busy runs into Bellecote and Centre, and some of the lower altitude Montalbert/Montchavin runs were a bit mogully and worn, but nothing more than I see in most resorts during busy periods. In fact, in our group of 9 we commented on how well most of the runs were holding up and that if you stayed high we could ski beautiful condition pistes all day.

Perhaps it's just the luck of what you ski each day but we skied all over the area and a couple of days in Les Arcs. We had 6 fantastic days of skiing, on and around the pistes, although I generally tried to avoid Bellecote in the afternoon.
latest report
Things have been excellent this weekend now all the crowds have returned home. Yesterday was superb, hardly anybody around, no queues, great snow on empty pistes and under blue skies.
I agree with dhorst about last week, although it was busy I don't think it was as bad as some people have been posting. It was very busy and some queues, busy and bumpy pistes are only to be expected for one of the busiest weeks of the year.

We had a couple of groups out here last week (16 people in total) and everybody commented on how good the ski area was, no mention of problems with the lifts or pistes.
snow conditions
Last week has been pretty amazing, the worst of to queues late afternoon in bellcotte followed by lots of nakedness in scottys bar! Didn't have any issues on site with the conditions and we were down at 1800 and all over the ski area! The little fresh midweek was a nice touch though! Soon tracked out and ruined tho,
snow conditions
looking like there should be some light snow around the end of the week hoping it picks up in the next week or two. Want some fresh Pow for the 19th thank you!!! NehNeh
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy