Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

nice quiet beginners resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there.

fIrst time poster! Can anyone recommend a nice quiet, pretty resort that is good for beginners (does't need to be huge!) that would also be good for non-skiers?

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sundaypapers, welcome to Snowheads. What will your non-skiers want to be doing with their time? Some people want sophisticated shops and day trips, others are happy with some pretty snowy walks, some cosy cafés and a pile of good books.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think enjoying the scenery and the local produce... and some painting perhaps. Definitely cultural activities over retail!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sundaypapers, when were you planning on going? Any preference for country?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Actually planning to go over christmas. If we can find somewhere that'll have us! In terms of countries... France, Austria, Switzerland, Italy etc. Anywhere in mainland Europe, within a couple of hours flight from London.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
St. Johann in Tirol might be good for you. There are good beginners' areas, e.g. at the Eichenhof lifts (a bit away from the centre but reachable by bus) and also on the other side of the town.

For non-skiers the town itself is quite attractive. The main lift is a gondola, so it is easy for non-skiers to get up and down the mountain, if they want to see a bit of what the others are up too. It would also be possible to take the train to Kitzbühel or perhaps even Salzburg (ca. 2 hrs) for a day out.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sundaypapers, there really are absolutely masses of places which would tick your boxes. so, to narrow it down a bit, a few more questions:

Are you happy to do a DIY trip, booking your own flights and hiring a car to drive to the resort, or do you want a tour operator package?

Or drive from the UK?

What kind of accommodation - hotel, catered chalet or a self catering apartment/chalet?

What sort of budget?

Are all the skiers beginners? How many? Ages?

Don't worry about availability - Christmas should be fine, and quieter than New Year, though there are a few issues about changeover dates.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
espri, There's a very good hotel right on the piste at the Eichenhof! And the hut at the top of the beginners area was always one of my favourites. Some excellent self-catering available as well in that part of town.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Seefeld in Austria may be a good option.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd agree with pam w, you need to narrow it down a bit first-also check out the search feature. In saying that I'll give you a bit of general advice, it's quite hard to get all you want but not impossible. To me a good beginners resort is somewhere with easy access to the nursery slopes IF you are complete beginners, lot sof resorts fufill this but allot of the time it depends on your accomadation choice.

Pretty resort? I've only really every skied in the huge French resorts, I'd call none of these pretty, with the exception of Chamonix I'd also say that none of these is interesting enough to amuse non-skiers, but I'd not suggest sending beginners to Cham either. I've been to Le Rosiere, that was great for beginners, nice village but nothing I saw to entertain non-skiers for a week-you could head to Bourg San Maurice-the town in the valley I've spent very little time there though, you could choose to base yourselves there and have access to several great ski areas, hopefully I'm starting to get the picture that it's difficult to tick alll your boxes?

I'd look at Austria, most resorts tend to be proper towns as opposed to the purpose built French resorts built up the mountain. You sometimes sacrifice convenience for this in Austria, ski in ski out is less common than in France generally unless you pick your accomadation carefully, ski in ski out does exisit in plenty of places in Austria but the UK TO's don't tend to have them.

Take a look at Kitzbuhel, one of the prettiest ski towns anywhere, and plenty for none skiers. It's not small in terms of ski area, and I haven't been over Chritmas to comment on how quiet it will be. You have to pick your accomadation carefully if you want easy access to the nursery slopes but buses and ski lockers make it not too much of a chore, if you've been nowhere else you'll not know any different.....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How about Wengen in Switzerland. Nice and quiet - you reach it by mountain railway - stunning scenery, lots of walks etc, v easy for non skiers to meet skiers as much of the transport is either railways or cable car, and nursery slope right in the centre of the village. Only slight downside is that the blues you progress to aren't perhaps as easy as some other resorts. And of course the exchange rate.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

nursery slope right in the centre of the village.

which might, or might not, have snow on it. Pretty places also tend to be low, and at present weather is very mild. And is Wengen quiet at Christmas? Most places aren't, though it's a bit less busy than New Year.

Christmas is very early in the season for skiing. Ideally you need somewhere with easy access, for beginners, to nursery slopes at the top of the mountain (plenty of places have that option, even if the village itself is low and therefore less snowsure).

If you want pretty well guaranteed snow right outside your accommodation, and you want to book it now, you probably need to go for somewhere high, purpose built and far from pretty. Without much to offer non skiers.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
... Ideally you need somewhere with easy access, for beginners, to nursery slopes at the top of the mountain ...

That's an interesting point. Here in Fieberbrunn the best beginners' area is at the middle station of the cable car and I had always thought that was rather a disadvantage. But, as you point out, that could be useful if snow is scarce down below.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
espri, I also think that, provided it's easy to get up there (and down again) it's much more exciting for beginners to be right up there in the mountains. For small kids proximity to accommodation is vital, but for adults, it's often the feeling of being up in the mountains which makes them realise just what everyone has been banging on about.

When I've been in places with nursery slopes "right in the village" they've often been pretty slushy. It's nice to have both if possible, but......
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sundaypapers, Weclome!

Samoens fits your requirements both on and off the snow. Outstanding novice/beginners areas. As Pw notes some resorts aren't that high, especially those that have fantastic facilities for beginners or are true all round resorts, not just a ski station. The beginners areas have extensive snow making equipment. You've sensibly not asked for ski-in -ski-out which would potentially limit your non-skiing requirements. A tele-cabine rather than chair-lift start would be easier for newbies, especially at the start of each day. Samoens also has an ice rink which I can confirm is running nicely and has been well used during the past few weeks during the French school hols.

Worth a read: http://www.ifyouski.com/france/resorts/samoens.aspx and click on the read more icons.

I've a friend that teaches novices in Wengen and the remarks above seem to confirm her thoughts, although Switzerland will be very expensive Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
espri, I also think that, provided it's easy to get up there (and down again) it's much more exciting for beginners to be right up there in the mountains.

Another good point. It must be my Scottish upbringing - I was always thinking of paying for the lift Laughing Thanks, pam w - your comments have made me review my ideas.
ski holidays
Well, my wife and I leaned at Wengen over Christmas. The nursery slope had great snow and the resort was quiet until New Years Eve. Maybe We just got lucky Pam W.
snow report
Sundaypapers, Tricky as non-skiers always suffer. I find a resort that has no snow in the valley but snow up a gondola is ideal then they can come up and meet up for lunch etc whilst enjoying walking around.

Hence Aosta/Pila in Italy should fit the bill but the tricky bit is where to stay. We stay up in Pila so the skiing is on the door step (huge easy area to ski, and up high so should be snow sure) but the non-skiers would have to go down to Aosta in the valley each day (20mins gondola ride). Or, if you need to get more brownie points, you could do it the other way and stay down in Aosta and come up the mountain each day to ski. 10Min walk from centre of town to the Gondola. Depends how much persuasion you need to get them to come.

Have a look at pilaski.co.uk and ring Carole who will sort you out if you want.

1.5hrs from Turin or 2.5hrs from Geneva (via Mont Blanc tunnel)
snow conditions
Quote:

Maybe We just got lucky

you were lucky with snow - it's by no means always "great" at Christmas (though last season, Christmas was about as good as it got in many places....). But when snow is good pistes will be less crowded - because people can spread out.
ski holidays
Ah, I see Pam w
latest report
Have a look at Villars.
ski holidays
Ignoring the other factors for a moment - my sister, who is a regular non-skier, reckons Megeve is her top resort. She likes walking, shopping, coffee, good book etc. I've only skied there for a day but I know she was able to walk up and meet us for lunch (at bottom of La Petite Fontaine iirc)
snow conditions
Megeve wouldn't be a bad bet, though it's pricey - some v sophisticated shops of the kind I wouldn't dare to go in, let alone ask any prices (the sort that don't put the prices on stuff in the window wink ). There's a new BASS ski school in Megeve - good tuition is v important for beginners.

The ski area is very beautiful, with Mont Blanc right in yer face. There are a number of opportunities for non skiers to meet you up the mountain (a high proportion of the people pottering round Megeve seem to be non skiers - they wouldn't feel left out).

The town is fairly low - I've driven through Megeve fairly frequently every year since 2002 as it's en route between our apartment and Geneva airport, where visiting friends and family tend to arrive. You could certainly not rely on pretty snow at village level at Christmas (though that's not unique to Megeve, it's probably true of most "proper" towns and villages, built down in the valleys.

We still need more info from the OP though, as to just what he is looking for.
latest report
Sundaypapers,
One thing to be very aware of if the non skiers are planning on being in and around the resort a lot of places in December get very little sun light. Skiers who are up on the slopes are not always aware of this. A south facing balcony setting is ideal and often provides great views. Villages under steep north facing slopes are and in valey bottoms may be far from ideal even if the villagfe is pretty and the slopes good.
snow report
that's true - but I don't think Megeve would be a problem in that regard. But the days at Christmas are short, the weather often not great - damp and mild is the worst. It's probably about the worst time to have a ski holiday - except for the priceless advantage of escaping from all the cr@p in the UK. Just think - the entire Christmas week with no telly! snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy