Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to San Cassiano - tips/advice sought

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm driving to San Cassiano for the half term week this Feb. I would welcome any tips on routes and overnight stops en route.

We are leaving our house in Nottinghamshire after school finishes late Friday afternoon with the aim of an 8pm channel tunnel crossing. I then want to get as far as possible before stopping for an overnight rest at a budget hotel. I am conscious of also wanting to beat the German traffic heading to the Alps on the Saturday. Any route advice and/or hotel suggestions?

We drive back the following Saturday but plan to stay overnight in France before our tunnel crossing at 10am Sunday morning. Any advice for good budget hotels suitable for families near the channel tunnel in France?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you stop in a hotel you won't beat the German traffic at all and will hit the worst of it. With an 8pm tunnel if you drove straight through you would miss the worst traffic and possibly get to San Cassiano just before the Saturday rush.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RobinS, I can see there is a trade-off and overnight driving would be quickest. But I'm not sure it would be very welcomed by my wife and family. Nor do I think it is feasible as I will probably have been working all day and won't be able to share the driving. So anyone got any tips on either the route or convenient budget hotel stops?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
StanBowles, I'd hang in there, and bump this thread occasionally, as there are some SHs very knowledgeable about routes to the Alps through Germany. You'll need all the inside knowledge and advice you can get to avoid a really difficult trip.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last year with 3 drivers we did the boat at about 8 pm on Friday and drove constantly through to Innsbruck Austria via strassburg, Stuttgart and Kempten. Nightmare as when we got to German Austrian border it took 5 hours to do 100 miles. and that was hitting the border about 9 am.

with the train you will get to Calais about 10pm local, San Quentin about midnight, consider a stop here, set off early and you will get into resort early evening.

alternatively take sprogs out from school Thu night drive to Ashford, travelodge, 0650train long drive and get over border into austria late fri night and get another hotel then cross into Italy Sat morning.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd stop at 1am (ish) somewhere near Reims, Namur, or Liege depending on whether you got via France, Luxembourg or Belgium. Which way you go is a big argument on here Wink Driving straight thru would probably hit the worst of the Munich-Austria jams, 12 hours in to a 15hour+ straight drive. Never been the Fernpass way (someone else might be able to give hints there).

For the way back, the one bit of advice I would give is that the road from San Cassiano down the valley towards Brunico and then on towards the Brenner Autostrada will be probably be a massive traffic jam on the Saturday morning (that's my experience of 3 journeys along there - the 4th was at 5pm and was fine). And Innsbruck-Munich will probably be a jam too (if you go that way).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Leave home after school finishes, drive to East Midlands airport, fly to Innsbruck and drive for two hours..............simples
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Smokin Joe, Give me affordable fares for the whole family and I would. The last two years we have taken flights to Venice Marco Polo and driven up from there. But that has involved London flights to get the timing right and, when you add up the cost and the hours taken, self drive all the way begins to make sense. This year it definitley does as the previous prices of £130 return flights seem to have passed. The petrol/tunnel cost is much better than the flight/car hire or transfer cost. Having decided that, it is then a matter of trying to get the optimum timing. andyg9053, has a good point about maybe missing the last day of school - I did consider that but rule it out. Having done so, I have to make the most of the late Friday getaway (along with the rest of Europe). As Andy says, it is the approach from Stuttgart to the Austrian border that is the nightmare - very worrying that even as early as 9am having driven through the night it had long jams on the Saturday morning. Anyone else had experience of any alternative routes?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy