Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Serre Chevalier 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
Kay, we drove from Nice via the autoroute, about 3.5 hours to Monetier- we were there for lunch.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds a much better bet - Thanks for the info thought at one point it would take 5 hours so a lot happier now, just cant wait to get there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kay, hubby says it was abour 1/2 an hour longer than going to Geneva. It is a while since we did the trip though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks - have just posted note of thanks on the other driving thread on 'The Piste'. Only 4 sleeps to go now - can't wait - some serious packing started. Thanks Chemistry for the good wishes. Not long for you either should think the younger chemistrys are getting excited. Heres to a good holiday. sounds a fab place- happy skiing snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kay,

Excitement levels off the charts! 5 sleeps to go for us as we fly Sunday.

Packing underway, passports triple checked, iPads loaded with films too amuse the younger chemistrys...

Hope it's a blast for team Kay and team Chemistry. Be sure to say hi if you see a beginner going in or out of the Club Med hotel. Black North Face jacket, bright blue Eider pants, Bolle goggles and a Giro 10 helmet...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We are staying at Chantemerle - but may well look into Villeneuve as many have said it is good - will look out for ski wear but hopefully you wont be wearing it after six - maybe look out for the Ralph Lauren number or fat face jumper- am sure I will spot you....or maybe not! Have a great holiday maybe meet up on the piste you never know Iwill be looking out for you.. .. and dont forget to say hi to an old lady trying hard to get her weight forward going far to fast or lying helpless on the piste trying valiently to get up...wish the diet had gone better - .... Take care Happy family skiing !!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kay,

Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why not just arrange to meet one afternoon at La Taniere? Foot of the Luc Alphand, on the chairlilft side.

Sip a pastis, watch the carnage on a flat light, mashed up Alphand as people fall/collapse/ski down at the end of the day!

Have a great trip!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chemistry wrote:
Kay,

Excitement levels off the charts! 5 sleeps to go for us as we fly Sunday.

Packing underway, passports triple checked, iPads loaded with films too amuse the younger chemistrys...

Hope it's a blast for team Kay and team Chemistry. Be sure to say hi if you see a beginner going in or out of the Club Med hotel. Black North Face jacket, bright blue Eider pants, Bolle goggles and a Giro 10 helmet...

I will see you there chemistry! Smile Driving out on Saturday morning to arrive at Club Med on Sunday afternoon. Been going for the last two years and it is always great there.

P.S. This is what I will likely be wearing Smile Photo from Niseko last week - courtesy of rob@rar

Touchguru
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Carlos the Slackal wrote:
Why not just arrange to meet one afternoon at La Taniere? Foot of the Luc Alphand, on the chairlilft side.

Sip a pastis, watch the carnage on a flat light, mashed up Alphand as people fall/collapse/ski down at the end of the day!

Have a great trip!

Laughing Laughing that brings back some memories.....sat there one afternoon doing just that. Suddenly, a skier comes flying down the last section with his dog at his heels Shocked All you could see was the dog's body and then a blur underneath because his legs were moving so fast. Anyway, the guy crosses the bridge and cruises to a stop.

Not the dog. Oh no. The hound about faced and then ran back up the Luc jumping up excitedly at the weary, last legs, end of the day skiers. It was absolute carnage Laughing people, skis, poles everywhere. A real Fenton moment. Am sitting here now laughing out loud at that memory - one of the funniest things I've seen on the slopes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looking good -Is it a bird -is it a plane - No it's Touchguru !!! Have a great time. Looking forward to skiing Serre Che - must be good if you are going back ! Do you think the snow will be good enough for off piste - havent had any this week. Fingers crossed for a top up on Friday.

Did you have a good week Carlos ? - never heard any more from you after 'maybe after another beer'
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry, Kay, work has been a bit manic!

It was outstanding, as any week in Serre Che always is. Great people out there, a really nice laid back Frenchness about it.

I keep meaning to write more, but every time something gets in the way. Usually work, but now it's curry! NehNeh Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kay, it is hard to say what conditions off piste will be like as it depends on a number of factors including sun, wind, temperature and snow fall.

If it doesn't snow I would say that the off piste would be fun in places as the snow should be holding well with the cold temperatures, but you probably won't get many epic tree or powder off piste runs unless a big dump comes.

That shouldn't matter too much as the SC area is great and I have always found some great things to ski, even last year in the bad season we had.

You will love it I am sure Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Touchguru, Kay,

Happy days & hope to see one or both of you there. No idea how to publish a picture of myself to assist with that (and have none as flash as Touchguru's snap from Japan anyway) but for what it's worth, I have been told that I look like a cross between Louis Theroux (in my glasses, which I'll probably have on after skiing) and Nicholas Lyndhurst. Scary thought, I know...especially because in my mind I'm the spitting image of George Clooney (it turns out that what I see in the mirror and how the rest of the world views me are rather different)!

Oh, and in real life my name in Laurence, which will probably attract my attention better than calling out 'chemistry' across a bar/restaurant/lobby. Also, please avoid getting confused by my passing resemblance to Mr. Lyndhurst and shouting "You plonker, Rodney!" too, if you can possibly help it... Laughing

Safe trips and happy skiing all. Look forward to hearing all about it here when we get back.

chemistry snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chemistry, will see you out there.

P.S. I look nothing like Del Boy Very Happy

Cheers
Mike
ski holidays
Touchguru,

Very Happy
snow report
...... and I look nothing like Uncle Albert. ..the facial hair problem is't that bad!!
Safe journey - sooooooooo excited !!
Karen
ski holidays
Kay,

Very Happy
snow report
Well Folks, the airwaves have been silent for over a week now.... What's the latest from the front line in Serre Chevalier? Did you all have a good week? Conditions good? Any special news to share?

We're on our way back on Sat 25th though we will have non-skier friends with us so we don't expect to be doing much skiing in the resort during the week.
latest report
Kevin Byrne,

We had an utterly brilliant week (on our first ever family ski trip).

From my perspective as a newbie, conditions seemed brilliant. Loads of snow (none fresh though) and glorious sunshine virtually every day. Mostly blue skies and around -6 on the mountain; only Wednesday was overcast, cold (-16, apparently) and windy (Pontillas gondola running but VERY slowly).

The Friday when our instructor took me down my first ever red (Clot Gaulthier) and I skiied it (OK it wasn't fast or pretty, but it was all controlled parallel turns) was one of the best days of my life. Saturday, when we got to ski as a family and took our children up the mountain and skiied the long Barres green with them, brought a tear to my eye too.

Awesome, awesome, awesome stuff.

A full trip report will follow, but suffice to say that we are already planning next year's holiday.

chemistry

PS. I bumped into Snowhead Touchguru at the Club Med pretty much everyday! Hiya Mike and thanks for all the advice and encouragement Very Happy
snow report
chemistry, glad you had such a great trip.
snow conditions
chemistry wrote:

PS. I bumped into Snowhead Touchguru at the Club Med pretty much everyday! Hiya Mike and thanks for all the advice and encouragement Very Happy

Hey Laurence, great to meet you and see you guys having such a great time. You could see that you had really caught the ski bug! Welcome to the Very Happy club!! Smile
latest report
Quote:

The Friday when our instructor took me down my first ever red (Clot Gaulthier) and I skiied it (OK it wasn't fast or pretty, but it was all controlled parallel turns) was one of the best days of my life

AWESOME! Glad you had a good time!

Middle pic looks like the end of Barres (Above worst restaurant on the mountain!)

Looks like everyone's having fun, which is awesome!

snowHead
snow report
Carlos the Slackal,

Yep, that was Barres. We spent most of the afternoon there (and didn't do the restaurant!) with the kids - up the longish Barres button lift and then ski back down to where that pic was taken.

Top pic is me at the top of the same run, I think (either that, or it was at the top of the Mea button).

Bottom one is my son belting down the Ecole Frejus little green, before he graduated to Barres (which he and his sister both pointed out was "Easy, Dad" and not as hard as the blue they claim to have done in ski school a day earlier...).

Fun time had by all. Being home is very boring, we miss the snow, the skis, the cake...

chemistry
ski holidays
Hi All
Anyone going to be in Serre Chevalier around the week of the 12th March? Staying at Club Med there for a week with the family. From reviews I read Club Med seems to get a thumbs up. Stayed at Arcs Extreme in January and it was excellent. Any thoughts on Club Med at Serre Chevalier would be interesting to read. Also now the cold snap has finished the temperatures appear to be on the rise with no snow on the forecast. Still seems to be a resonable snow depth in Serre Chevalier although not as much as the Northern Alps. Hope there will be enough to see us through to the 12th March our first day on the slopes. Is the Club Med ski in / ski out and is if so is the slope maintained with artificial snow etc?
Skier
snow conditions
Griggs,

Big thumbs up for Club Med, having just got back from there, here is my trip report:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=86952

Club Med certainly is ski-in/ski-out but I'm not sure if that is maintained by artificial snow. That said, I'm guessing from the piste map, and that fact that the Pontillas lift - from which you ski out - is so critical to getting up the mountain from Villeneuve - that it would be. My suggestion would be to simply give the guys at Club Med a ring and find out for sure, as they are bound to be super helpful in my experience.

I am jealous!

chemistry
ski holidays
Hi Chemistry

Thank you so much for your response. I have read your excellent trip report - sounds as though you had a great time (apart from the flights !!). We too are flying with Monarch Sad !

I have to say that the Club Med in Les Arcs was excellent so I was pretty sure that the one in Serre Chevalier would follow suit. Glad to hear that it is ski in / ski out. As you say if the run down is fairly key I am sure it will be maintained well. With the good snow they have had this year I am sure it will be fine low down. Appears alot of the lifts in Serre Chevalier start at or above 2000m so it has a good high lift system. Still 2.5 weeks until we go so plenty of time for more snow to fall. Very Happy

Griggs
latest report
So pleased you had a great time Chemistry and have caught the skiing bug.
As for team Kay........

Well that was great – back from Serre Chevalier with friends and was not disappointed,can see why people love it. Snow ok, compacted but would take an edge – well nearly always! 5 days of sunshine getting warmer each day (only one windy day when higher lifts were closed) which was great for eating out and skiing but not so good for snow quality, maybe more of a problem next week if they don’t get a good dump of snow. Sunshine over Briancon side resulted in some stones coming through about half way but all pistes higher throughout the valley ok. Great skiing over lots of deserted pistes. Red run under the Aiguillette OH said really good also loved Petit Alpe via long button. OH also said didn’t feel that the blacks were true blacks but Luc Alphand very enjoyable to ski. I personally loved the top of the Vallons to Serre Ratier and the whole run to Monetier via the Vallons chair which was great. Loved the Cucumelle great to have such a long run. Took the good advice we were given before going and skied all across the valley – great sense of travel and bus available at the base of all resorts if you didn’t want to ski back or left it too late to do so.
I stayed in Chantemerle, went to have a look round Monetier and Villeneuve but on balance preferred Chantemerle it had a mixture of everything (and everything was in the one area) there were 3 lifts up and never a queue to be seen, in fact there was never a queue any where as far as I could see. (Lucky there was only one zone of French children on holiday). We had an apartment 50 m from the lifts.There were a couple of good places to sit, drink and eat and watch people hurtling down the Luc Alphand black run. The station bar was quite cheap too. Chantemerle also had the old town bit with restaurants and a band playing at the end of the day which gave a nice atmosphere. There were 2 mini supermarkets with reasonable prices so we didn’t feel that we had to drive to the Geant in Briancon. Would recommend L’Estable restaurant. Ate out on the mountain during the day, favourite place was the small rustic hut above Monetier ‘The Peyra Juana’ with its very friendly nutter of a waiter. Not as busy as other places and full of French families eating inside. A good recommendation – thanks. The only criticism I would have is that there is only the black run and long windy green narrow roads to ski on back to Chantemerle . I would have liked a cruisey blue to do at the end of the day. The green took too long and was busy at the end of the day. Finally a personal tip if you leave it rather late to come down on the last day (when they are waiting to set up the fireworks,) you might get a ride on a skidoo straight down the black run.
Brilliant especially when the legs are just about shot!!!!!
The fireworks set to the drumming live band were fantastic, as was the torchlight procession down the Luc Alphand. All in all a fantastic holiday – I miss you Serre Chevalier. XX
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hear they really need more snow, been very warm, and the wind last week stripped a lot of the good snow off.

My mates skied last week in Montgenevre / Clavierre doing some very good off piste by all accounts on Mon / Tues then Wed ski touring up near Laus (on the Izoard road) but weather was not good, Thurs Serre piste as the guide said was not worth doing anything, and that was bad so they upped sticks and went to Courcheval where they had fresh snow for Fri & Sat.

Speaking to my brother tonight and he said his good friend whose daughter runs the Petite Pont restaurant said snow still good up top but not good lower down.

Don't worry will come good as I'm out for four weeks March 10th and still not too sure if I'll be skiing as getting over acl op, so will probably be confined to piste and sods law will dictate loads of fresh, especially if its a repeat of New Year Sad

Have a mini domestic going on trying to work out which dog to take and which one to leave behind this trip. Head says take the young one as she can stay with me if I'm able to ski x-country and do long hikes and maybe ski tour, heart says take the old girl (not my wife) as she last year went into a mega depression when we left her whilst the other one won't give a tincus fart either way.
ski holidays
Kevin Byrne, and anyone else for that matter, a good trip for non skiing friends etc is to hike up to the Refuge Napoleon (Col D'Izoard) makes for a great day, and then stop off at the Auberge in Laus - more info and pics here http://www.anotherharddayattheoffice.co.uk/weekone.html.

Hike is not that bad, couple of hours seem to recall, if you follow the road / x-country ski track ?
snow report
Weathercam,

Your dog comments make me laugh. Very Happy

When we were in the queue at the airport to check in coming home, we and the other family we travelled with were discussing dog pick-up arrangements. Our respective wives were all for picking them up the following morning but both of us sad husbands insisted that we had to get them immediately upon arrival! For my friend, that meant a 3 hour round trip! Next thing, the guy in front of us overhead the conversation and turned to his wife saying "See, we've GOT to get the dogs today, they are...".

A long conversation then ensured between the wives, bemoaning the fact that each of their husbands was rather pathetically attached to their beloved four legged friends...I didn't have the heart to tell my wife that for a fleeting moment I had seriously wondered whether I could teach our schnauzer to snowboard so that she could have joined us on the skiing trip.

Anyway, follow your heart and take the old girl is my advice - dogs are not about making intellectual choices. Not fair to leave her depressed and sounds like the younger one won't mind. Unless of course you can take both...

chemistry
latest report
chemistry, my hubby used to be the same, except it got so bad he won't put her in the kennels now, so we drive to our holiday and take her with us. And yes, take the old girl. Or why not take both?
snow report
Hells Bells,

Oh don't think for a moment that our (my?) dog was in kennels whilst we were skiing! Perish the thought!!

No, she stayed with my brother-in-law and sister-in-law and no doubt was thoroughly spoiled for the whole week...

chemistry
snow report
chemistry, that is OK then. Ours would probably fret wherever we left her.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, would like to take both, even though would be double the vets bills etc - but I leave one daughter at home and she likes to have a dog for security / company etc though she's not too bothered which one.

Only trouble is walking's not high on her agenda wink
snow report
The once beloved boxer is no more so I don't have to enter the doggy discussion. Twin number 2 recently acquired a boxer to complement her two children so she will have the dilemmas in future.

Gav, hope the knee is near full strength. We'll be back out for a week from 16th March. Let us know what you're up to and where, maybe we can hook up. Our plan is to do a bit of touring with guide Murray Hamilton along with another lad from Scotland. But no definite itineraries as yet.

As for next week, we have a list of walks (Cervieres, Laus, Izoard among them) to challenge the old geezers....otherwise they'll stay up half the night creating mayhem. Gotta tire them out somehow. Very Happy
ski holidays
Kevin Byrne, other options are drive up to Nevache and then you have a choice of walking to either Refuges Chardonet, Bufferre, or Ricou - all of which you can stay the night at and have a meal & drink etc - when I've stayed at them have been a fair number of people who have walked up on snow shoes for the night.

W/C 16th March have friends out, a couple who like their touring etc but none of us are getting our hopes up till I actually put the skis on and see how I feel.

That said have been working damn hard at it, up to running 10mls over the Downs with Elaine and cycling hard plus intervals etc though ITB now is complaining, so know I've strained that, so for the next three weeks laying off cycling & running to let it settle down and have returned to Bikram, have done two sessions this week and finding that tough, there's about four or five postures I can't do as knee won't bend that far Sad

What will be will be Confused
snow conditions
Weathercam, rather ridiculous situation that although we don't need the dogs tick treatment any more, we still have to take her for the tapeworm so I guess there'll be very little difference in the price.
ski holidays
All
Thanks for the regular updates on the snow conditions in Serre Chevalier. Sounds as though a snow fall is really needed. I have to say that I've been monitoring the snow depths and weather forecast quite carefully of late and have to confess that I have decided to change our forthcoming holiday to Alpe D'Huez. Reason being three fold really. Firstly Alpe D'Huez has a much greater snow depth with which to weather the current warmer temperatures and lack of fresh snow. Secondly it is higher and thirdly having visited Morzine in mid March last year when we ended up skiing on strips of brown coloured mud I can't take the risk again with our family trip. I know the weather can change very quickly in the Alps and last year was an exceptional one in terms of lack of snow but it does not appear that any substantial snow fall is forecast between now and when we leave in a couple of weeks. I know Alpe D'Huez well, have always enjoyed trips there and have managed to switch our booking with Club Med to the one there. I have to say by the way that Club Med were very helpful over the whole change of resort and made the whole process very easy to sort out.
Griggs
ski holidays
Serre Chevalier this week is warm, sunny and generally early Summer like. Snow is suffering. For us, that's not a problem as we're walking / snowshoeing and generally taking it easy. Lots of people about too.

The resort definitely needs new snow and hopefully that will come next week. But for now, those who want to work on their tans are happiest.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy