Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Serre Chevalier 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I will keep attention on the orange trousers

They're hard to miss!

The Green (Briance?) back to Chantemerle is open, according to all I've seen. Really nice cruisy trip through the trees. It crosses the Alphand at a number of places, so keep an eye up the slope, obviously!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's snowing here in Briancon as I write this. Been snowing (raining low down) since the afternoon so there should be a nice top up tomorrow.

We abandoned the mechanical uplift the last couple of days in favour of doing some exploration - in the Clareé Valley and near Les Combes round the side or the Prorel - so no update on conditions. However they haven't changed in just two days. It's not as cold as it was so that will to limit any ice. The wind is to pick up tomorrow which may blow anything fresh off the ridges and add to the avalanche risk. Depends of course on just how much fresh stuff falls...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Keep the updates coming, Kevin, we're arriving on Sunday! Can't wait! Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the updates - have enjoyed them. Have a great time Carlos hope to hear from you. Still three weeks for me - soooo looking forward to it !
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll be checking in, Kay! Will be posting from the bar at least once or twice!

Can't wait to get back to Serre Che! Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Carlos the Slackal wrote:
The Green (Briance?) back to Chantemerle is open, according to all I've seen. Really nice cruisy trip through the trees. It crosses the Alphand at a number of places, so keep an eye up the slope, obviously!

Shocked unless its towards the end of the day....then can get very chopped and carved up with newbs knackered out halfway down from all that snowploughing (I know, I was one there once Laughing).

Quite amusing/horrifying watching people tentatively trying to "dart" across between the people caning down the Luc Alphand.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like some new snow then in Briancon -surely that bodes well for the rest of the valley - Safe journey and good skiing for all going this week ! Sounds like a great area.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kay, it certainly does, but looking at the webcams it must be pretty windt this morning, as Cucumelle is completely empty, which means it must be shut
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
...unless its towards the end of the day....then can get very chopped and carved up with newbs knackered out halfway down from all that snowploughing (I know, I was one there once Laughing)

...and that will be me in three weeks time!!! Still can't wait though!

chemistry
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is it too soon to pack ??
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm going on my first ski holday next sat... I've already packed most things and tried on most of my new gear in front of the mirror Embarassed

I feel like a kid at Christmas...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OK Christmas Children, Intrepid Travellers and Those who Only Wait....

Fresh snow this morning...hard to judge how much but probably only about 5 - 7 cms...enough to make the powder challenging and the pistes that were not groomed overnight to become chopped up pretty quickly. Unfortunately, shortly after we went up in the Prorel Lift, they closed the top section and later closed most of the high lifts - and therefore all the links between Briancon and the rest of the valley and also between Monetier and the rest. The Grand Serre was closed and various others. The wind and the wind driven snow were pretty bad and at times we had to push ourselves downhill!! Plus the cross wind was tricky betimes. Anyhow we called it quits about 1.30pm to take the bus back down the valley from Villeneuve. The sun did shine so in the end we were happy with our lot. The end of a good week.

Those of you about to arrive, enjoy it and those still waiting, well, what can we say....except that we've never been disappointed here. There is always something to do...you can even go mushing in the Claree Valley and snow-shoeing is very worthwhile if you like to get away from the crowds. It's a magic place...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sunny! Happy
Windy Happy
Pistes in excellent nick all round. Food and hospitality as excellent as ever.

Fat too many numpties on blades, though! Evil or Very Mad Why? I mean, really, why?

Beer o'clock now....bye! Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pleased you are having a great time and all good over there- Thanks for the update.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Carlos the Slackal, the numpties on blades were there during our January trip last year. Not sure if they were students or not.
latest report
tomb wrote:
I'm going on my first ski holday next sat... I've already packed most things and tried on most of my new gear in front of the mirror Embarassed

I feel like a kid at Christmas...

tomb,

I will require a minute by minute trip report immediately upon your return...

chemistry
ski holidays
chemistry, will try my best, I'm taking a video out also as I'm part of a school trip (tagging along with my sister-in-law who is a teacher and organises the trips) so if/when I upload some vids, ill post the links to YouTube here!
snow report
will try my best, I'm taking a video out also as I'm part of a school trip (tagging along with my sister-in-law who is a teacher and organises the trips) so if/when I upload some vids, ill post the links to YouTube here!
[/quote]
Will also look out for that and any reports on the resort - going out there for the first time in half term. Have a great time !!!
snow report
tomb,

Thank you for this and I would just add that whilst in Serre Che please try NOT to see your trip not as your holiday, but as a vital reconnaissance mission to help optimise mine (and Kay's presumably, as I think we'll be there the same week).

I know it will be easy to get distracted what with all the snow, skiers and the like, but when stepping out of the hotel or zooming down the mountain, try not to be selfish by just enjoying yourself. Instead I really think your mindset should be "What about this should I include in my trip report for Snowheads?", so that in due course I can benefit from all of your top tips...!

Twisted Evil

chemistry
snow conditions
chemistry, I'll be posting a few more tips shortly, but right now, I must go for another beer!
ski holidays
chemistry, I'll be posting a few more tips shortly, but right now, I must go for another beer!

Thanks/cheers!
snow conditions
Carlos -Will look forward to the update- Cheers - Hows the snow by the way - any more yet?
Tomb - I agree with Chemistry all tips greatly appreciated - you have a duty to all of us still waiting and still checking webcams daily. Happy skiing !!
snow report
Good news! Snow! Happy

Bad news! Last day! Sad

But still, SNOW! snowHead
snow report
Good news! Snow! Happy

Bad news! Last day! Sad

But still, SNOW! snowHead

Hooray!

Boo!

Hooray!
snow conditions
New snow for your last day -My snow dance worked then - Hope it's a good one for you !
snow report
Quick update, got here at 330 so didn't get any skiing in... But it ha been snowing all day and is still currently snowing albeit lightly. I reckon they've had 5cm or so here in viellnerve. Will hopefully update better tomorrow after a day on the slopes.
snow report
Thanks for the quick update- hope new snow means a fantastic day skiing tomorrow - Heres to a great day skiing tomorrow, enjoy !! - Look forward to the update.
latest report
Message to Chemistry - Very exited - looking good
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hope you enjoyed your last day Carlos
snow conditions
About 20-30cm of fresh snow up te mountain this morning, made for great skiing. Went off piste and found some deep snow. Probably skied above my ability today, so gonna take it easier this afternoon!
latest report
Both Carlos and yourself talked about snow, and you are actually there. Why don't the websites say this - Serre Che is still reporting 120cm on the top and 30 cm at base level ( which is really low) They are forcasting 28cm for Briancon 16cm for Montgenevre in the next couple of days but only 1 or 2 cm for Serre Che - seems weird. Anyway thanks for all the updates keep them coming - Hope you have a fantastic holiday !!
latest report
Snow on the floor again this morning, I'd say about 2 inches here in viellnerve. It's also forecast to be in all day.
snow conditions
Thanks -hope it snows more at night than in the day for you - Weather forcasts now predicting 8 at serre cherre -still 28 Briancon- Hope skiing going well. Looked a lovely day on the webcam yesterday !
ski holidays
It was stunning yesterday, clear blue skies. Completely different today though as its not stopped snowing, a complete white out at the top... Still there was plenty of fresh snow to be had and hopefully it will continue all night and leave us with another clear day tomorrow!

Will try my best to get some pics up here if I can...
ski holidays
Will look forward to that !!
snow report
Me too!

Chemistry
ski holidays
Looks to be really cold in Serre Che this week- maybe pack some extra layers. Guy in Flaine said he had never had it so cold. Not long now Chemistry - or should I say Mr Chemistry after reading some of your other posts. Thought you were the lady of the house. Embarassed
snow conditions
Driving from Nice to Serre Chevalier next week. After perusing maps and Michelin/AA routes there seems to be several different ways to go with conflicting advice as to which is best at this time of year. Wondered if anyone on here had driven up from the South. We have driven from Nice to Valberg no problem but much nearer than Serre Che. Have also driven from Marseille to La Joue du Loup (one route 2.5 hours)Go to the southern airports because much cheaper as I teach and have to always go in Feb half term.
The shortest D902 looks very slow via Rissoul. Is it closed in the winter? Other option seems to go via Turin or Gap any comments on either of these please. Would appreciate your experience of any of these - Going on the 11th Feb. Thanks
latest report
Kay wrote:
Looks to be really cold in Serre Che this week- maybe pack some extra layers. Guy in Flaine said he had never had it so cold. Not long now Chemistry - or should I say Mr Chemistry after reading some of your other posts. Thought you were the lady of the house. Embarassed

Don't feel bad, my first name is Laurence, which IS a woman's name in France...

Team Chemistry is pretty well sorted for layering options, so hopefully well all be fine whatever the weather! Very excited now there is only a week to go until we fly!
snow report
Kay,

Good luck with the drive & safe journey.

Chemistry
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy