Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kirchberg for a learner - any good?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking at going with my partner to Kirchberg who is a cautious 'late-in-life' learner with a couple of weeks under her belt. A couple of questions..
Is there a reasonable choice of learner slopes ?
Are the pistes easily accessed from the town ? ( she has yet to master walking any distance in boots with skis)
Does the town have a pleasant 'austrian' feel ( ambience will help maintain her interest).

cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Only been once and that was twenty years ago but have been to Kitzbuhel with which it shares its terrain much more recently. Plenty of confidence building blues. I stayed in the centre of Kirchberg but seem to remember having to get a ski bus to the lift as it was outside of the town. This link seems to confirm that it hasn't changed.

http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Austria/Kirchberg_in_Tirol.html

Nice town, traditionally Austrian, good apres ski and nightlife.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kirchberg was my first ski trip and i loved it. There is a nice blue at the top of the main gondler, but be careful as it only has a drag lift. You will also find that many of the lessons are done on this run. The main gondler runs over a blue which is long with a few bar stops on it, but a steep icey red in the middle which can be avoided bu a blue road.
The pistes are a bus ride away from town but the bus stops are through out the town.
The town is great with coffee shops and bars along the main road.

Hope this helps
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks Corky, andpigmanstu, most of the t/o accomodation seems to be in the town, so it'll probably be bus. Are their any easy runs back down or just the one you mention ? and can you remember if there are any bars / restaurants at the bottom of the piste ( ie somewhere she could wait for me - not that i'd keep her waiting whilst I skied....of course not !!)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are 2 runs down both are very long one has a bar near the bottom, within 100m of bus stop. I think there is also another bar by the bus stop carnt quite rember that well as it was 2003 when i was there!! I can rember that on one of the runs down there is an ice bar thats a proper austrian apri ski place Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nickH, Its so long ago that I can't remember much about the bars except for Club Habitat where I whiled away the night and early hours. I do distinctly remember the earliest I went to bed was 02:45. Shocked but I was a mere pup then.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pigmanstu wrote:
There is a nice blue at the top of the main gondler, but be careful as it only has a drag lift. You will also find that many of the lessons are done on this run.

I presume that the "main gondler" mentioned here is the Fleckalmbahn. The lift serving the easy blue piste at the top, the Sonnenrast, is now a chairlift.

Quote:
The main gondler runs over a blue which is long with a few bar stops on it, but a steep icey red in the middle which can be avoided bu a blue road.

A cautious learner would indeed be best advised to stay on the blue track rather than try the red run under the lift, with its narrow path through the houses at the Fleckalm Gasthof.

However, on the whole, I now prefer the alternative way down via the Maierl piste. That too has one narrower section but not as hairy as on the Fleckalm red. If you want to avoid the first, slightly steeper section of the Maierl run down from the Ehrenbachhöhe, you can ski down the nice blue beginners' piste mentioned above for a bit and then turn right down a track before you reach the bottom station of the Sonnenrast chairlift. This brings you back to the main piste just before the Ochsalm Gasthof (and lift).

Nowadays the Maierl also offers the better way up, with a new gondola and the Ochsalm chairlift to bring you up to the Ehrenbachhöhe, much the same as the Fleckalmbahn does. I find the runs by the Maierl lifts a great area for intermediate skiers. The Maierl piste also has a number of bar/restaurants on your way (and a new restaurant right at the bottom of the Maierl gondola).

The lifts are a little way outside the centre of Kirchberg but, as mentioned, there are plenty of busses and it might also be possible to find accommodation further up the Spertental (the valley road that leads from Kirchberg to Aschau) that would put you nearer the Maierl gondola.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all for some very useful info, I'll look onto the accomodation options further now.

I'm trying to find an area that'll give me some good miles to ski & that has a good & easily accessible learners slopes for my partner. So far we've enjoyed both Maria alm & ellmau. Saalbach would be good but seems quite expensive compared to many of the other Austrian resorts.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nickH, Westendorf Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Top Deck holidays ran a nice place there, Aussi of course and very sociable crowd.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GeorgeVII, Yup, liked the look of the place when skiing out of ellmau last feb, though it would be nice to go a little further afield if suitable options exist.

ThanksCynic, Will check them out
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy